Isaac
Years ago

Lightning record and expectations

I seem to remember some critics in the off-season suggesting that the departure of some big names in Phillips, Camino, et al from the Lightning would keep Adelaide from success this year.

Yet, the team are currently 8-1, and that one loss was by just two points.

Foley continues to lead the team, Francis has been a huge contributor straight from the AIS, Duke has improved and Marino's numbers are decent too.

Has their record to date surprised you?

Can they topple Canberra this Friday at the Dome?

Topic #18197 | Report this topic

Hood 32  
Years ago

Will Isaac be at the Dome to watch the game?

Reply #214008 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No.

Reply #214011 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

I'll be the first to admit that I thought they would have a much tougher season this year without the likes of Phillips, Camino, Whittle and Kingy but they've proved me wrong.
Foley and Gahan are still all class and Dukie has really stepped up this season, not to forget Francis who is an absolute rebounding machine.
I think they've got a pretty good chance of going back to back, something I never thought I'd be saying 3 months ago.

Reply #214015 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

and just maybe the coaching's working a treat, no disrespect to Lucas fans, but Vicky hasn't put a foot wrong in that position.

Reply #214020 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Jess Foley has grown another leg. She was great last season and exceptional this season.

Sam Woosnam is still my favorite though :)

Reply #214021 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Girls are doing great, hopefully can get the win this week..Did not like the way that Lucas was treated last year, but Vicki has done a great job.

Foley is on fire this year, but I agree Jack, Sam is a gun.

Reply #214023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

foley cant play defense

Reply #214060 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

Anon can't spell defence.

Reply #214061 | Report this post

Years ago

last year we had the holy trinity - phillips, camino. foley

this year wonderwoman - foley

i still feel we are another shooting pg short of a title

marino is doing ok - maybe mia can step up

however our height seems to match up with canberra ok

townsville is a 2-3 horse race cox / canadian chick

i like hunt from dandy - she is gamin' at present

Reply #214064 | Report this post

tripa  
Years ago

I wonder if scott ever sits down and really talks to vicky about coaching i mean actually listens to what she has to to say about the coaching he could do worse you would think the same principles apply wouldn't they

Reply #214112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With much respect Lightning are doing well this year, but the competition is so much weaker!!!! You cant honestly say that it is a strong league. Most of the guns are playing overseas where they can earn better money, and you cant blame them.

Also Lightning do need another PG. They cant depend on Williams, she just hasnt got it and will never step up. She is just enjoying going along for the ride

Reply #214113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good move by Adelaide not to sign Jess Mahony... Angela is doing well. Mahony's attitude was not right for the team concept. Well done to vicki for pulling a great team together and getting rid of the trouble makers.

Goodluck to the team this fri night, biggest test for the team, but I have no doubt then will get the 'W'.

And, lucky for Townsville, Flanagan is playing well and Mahony wouldn't have complimented that team either. A team needs team players, and Jess is not.

Go Lightning!!

Reply #214170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagreethere . Mahoney was an excellent player. She also showed great leadership and that was why she was dropped!!! There was definately some friction wih fabulous foley because of it

Reply #214184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, but why have one player who can be replaced with which will cause friction in a team. Thats a recipe for disaster.

As for anon saying Foley cant play defence, obviously you dont know what good defence is.

Reply #214229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be friction with or without Mahoney. There are too many egos in that team and its bound to happen sooner or later.

Should be interesting tonight. Adelaide havent been challenged as yet and are riding on an ego trip. Canberra have the talent and agression to best them I think

Reply #214239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well lets just hope that everyone gets out there and watches. wonder how many games those that are criticising actually come out and watch.

Reply #214284 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:58 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754