Quagmire
Years ago

Worst Coach ever.

Just pulled this story from truehoop on ESPN;

'Davidson's Stephen Curry was the darling of the NCAA tournament last year, and he has only gotten better. Last night, he played Loyola, and they double-teamed him. There are different kinds of doubles. Some start on the catch. Some start when the star puts the ball on the floor. This one started at the opening buzzer. Just two guys, all night long. Curry did an amazingly mature thing: He simply stood in the corner, scored zero points, and let his four-on-three teammates whoop it up, having a field day. Davidson won by a country mile, and Loyola's coach Jimmy Patsos is quoted by the Associated Press saying: "We had to play against an NBA player tonight. Anybody else ever hold him scoreless? I'm a history major. They're going to remember that we held him scoreless or we lost by 30?" I'm not a history major, but I'll remember that Coach Patsos stuck with a crazy scheme long after it was proven to have been a crazy scheme, assuring his team a loss.'

Is this guy the worst coach in the history of ball?
What possible value does this teach his players?

Topic #18206 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Maybe not the worst coach ever, but pretty bloody arrogant and stupid if you ask me.

And to make it even worse, this coach went into the game with a mindset he was going to lose by 30 points. Now whether that actually happens or not, any good coach would tackle every game with the mindset of winning, particularly at that level. And Quagmire you are right that this example doesn't really teach his players anything worthwhile. In fact it could have quite a negative effect.

And despite Curry going scoreless and subsequently stuffing up his 30+ppg average, Curry's stocks have probably only risen because of how he handled the situation.

Reply #214092 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I guess that depends on if they were going to lose by 30 if they didn't do that. At least this way they kept him scoreless :P Ill assume one of the defenders was playing some sort of sagging defence on the other players

Reply #214097 | Report this post

Maybe they would have lost by 40 if they played him normally

Reply #214119 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Thats true. In that case it was a good move

Reply #214126 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

The team concept and instruction has to come before the margin.

This was a low ranked team that was never going to beat the higher ranked squad, so what benefit is there for the next game they play, a game they have a shot at, if they run this kind of rubbish instead of perfecting solid team D?

It blows me away that you guys think losing by 30 with no player or team tactic development is better than losing by 40+ and focusing on team tactics that will benefit your squad for games they have a chance of winning.

Reply #214127 | Report this post

Maybe it was the teams decision. you shouldn't come to conclusions so quickly

Reply #214128 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

NCAA College ball- The most over coached comp in exhistance, teams don't make decisions.

Reply #214130 | Report this post

ballerbands  
Years ago

I thought this thread was going to be about Scott Ninnis!!!!

Reply #214147 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

How about if this team actually thought they might win this game if they used this tactic. They then come out with a result which is better then what they were expecting compared with if they had one guy on him. I'm sure the story is an exaggeration anyway I'm sure one of the defenders at least played some sort of sagging defence.

Reply #214148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no. there was no saggin defence. Curry went and stood in the corner with 2 guys standing around him and the rest of his teammates played 4 on 3 the rest of the game.

Reply #214166 | Report this post

Pulteney 98  
Years ago

surely the Davidson coach has to take some of the blame. Pull Curry out of the game to at least give your team some sort of game.

I'm sure if Curry went to the bench - the opposition wouldn't have sent two guys to their bench!

Reply #214168 | Report this post

Random Name  
Years ago

Joke of a coach

Reply #214169 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754