Quagmire
Years ago

When do the cavs blink?

I know this is going to sound crazy, but i just want to put it out there.

In the past if a player was going to bolt after the end of a contract- that team would pull the trigger on a trade so they would at least get some return for investment.

Could this happen with LeBron?

Could the cavs actually shop him before the feb deadline in 2010?

Winning will have a lot to do with the scenario, but say the cavs lose in the second round this year. To Detroit or maybe the hawks, magic or 76ers. Big upset but still, could happen.

Where does that leave the cavs? LeBron says its all about winning, if the cavs don't make it happen, and the knicks have the potential to sign BOTH LeBron and another top FA like Bosh or D-Wade, surely he will go, and surely the cavs can't sit and watch him walk.

Now some may say the cavs will simply use the cap space left by a departing Bron to sign another big FA, but who the hell is gonna wanna be at the cavs? That team has been built for a once in a generation superstar- if he walks they are looking so ugly...

Cavs need to get active now. They need to be calling teams re trades for their aging stars like Big Z and Big Ben. Miami and the matrix comes to mind. They need a center. Marion and Lebron would form an awesome frontline with Varejao. How bout the bobcats and G. Wallace?

Cavs can't just sit, wait and hope that LeBron will stay. They need to be active. They need to show some balls.

Otherwise they could be in the situation come feb 2010 where they are honestly looking to shop the best player of the millenium.

Topic #18207 | Report this topic

The Journo  
Years ago

Maybe the Cavs should ask LeBron what he wants and just re-sign him?

Reply #214105 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's an option to the Cavs, along with a sign and trade. I can't see it happening. Basically I think it will get down to who has the best roster at the time and not so much about the money.

Lebron is getting the max regardless. It's either going to be a $130(ish) mill with the Cavs or just over a $100 mill from another team, the Knicks. I don't believe the mumbo gumbo about $$$. He's already the number 2 sportsperson in the world in relation to endorsement, and will probably go number 1 as Tiger Woods has recently lost his General Motors sponsorship. He's already global. Moving to New York may net him an extra $20 mill or so in endorsements, but he's leaving $20(ish) mill behind by leaving Cleveland. He's also just finished his $30 million dollar mansion which is in Ohio.

The only thing that a move to the Knicks would bring is a bigger stage, and I think that is partly what Lebron wants. New York is the mecca of the NBA. Only two other teams could come close, the Lakers and Celtics, but neither are in the race.

I think a trade is out of the question, surely Lebron would have veto power, along with no team is going to gut its roster and youth with the possibility that Lebron will not resign and bolt. Why give up talent and that's what the Cavs will want when the player in return is likely to bolt at the first opportunity.

Reply #214111 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Nike have already stated unofficially that they will gladly make up the shortfall in salary if LBJ signs with the Knicks.

Reply #214115 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I was just reading Bill Simmons' latest article and he has a devious theory that suggests Lebron and his agents are just talking up the chance of him moving so that other teams worry more about clearing cap space for 2010 rather than winning in the next two years - hence making it easier for the cavs to win it all. It's a bit of a joke I know - but Detroit now seem to be less of a threat. In any event the road to a championship for the Cavs will almost certainly mean beating both Boston and LA who certainly wont be thinking about 2010.

There is also another conspiracy thoery doing the rounds saying that LeBron, Wade and Bosh all agreed to sign with the Knicks in 2010 while they were in China at the Olympics. Now that is far fetched but imagine that team!

Reply #214116 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would think the Boston team would be better! Lebron, Wade and Bosh all need the majority of the ball for the whole game. That obviously can't happen if all 3 of them are there. It will be like the Olympics were Bosh played a role player type role and Lebron and Wade didn't have their normal crazy stats.

Reply #214117 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Cavs are blinking all over OK.CITY at the minute . 56-23 with 5 remaining in the second quarter . And that is with the bench playing more than the 1st unit .

Reply #214118 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I agree that Wade and LeBron might not necessarily work (and I doubt you'd pay max for someone to be a role player!) but I don't think Boston will be as giid next year purely because KG and Allen aren't getting any younger and PP is getting on too.

Hypothetically, if you could get LeBron, Wade and Bosh (or even two of them) what players would you put around them. Obviously a pass first PG who can shoot the 3 consistently when open and also another shooter and maybe a defensive big guy?

Reply #214120 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Also, a bit of an unrelated topic. Is the East tougher than the West this year?

I think the quality of the playoff teams in the West is much better but there are probably more "easy" games in the West this year. The bottom five or six teams in the West really suck while only Washington (so far) and Charlotte are really struggling in the East. I think there are 11 or 12 teams that could make the playoffs in the East while only 9 in the West.

Reply #214123 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Bron will head to Knicks in 2010. There's no doubt about it. They will already have a great core team for him to join, plus any other signings/trades/drafts in the meantime. Not to mention coach and general manager who he will love. Oh and the money thing is also going to be the main selling point, after all he does want to be bigger than Jordan.

Reply #214175 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

If thats the case Ricey- why should the cavs just let him go for nothing?

Surely they have to trade him some time before feb 2010?

Danny Ferry should be on the phone to the knicks telling him what he wants from them come feb 2010, and then its up to the knicks to get it done. High draft pick and a couple of top young players.

Reply #214209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:14 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754