Ricey
Years ago

Marbury declines to play?

See that Q-Rich spoke out on Marbury for refusing to play against Detroit when they actually needed him, plus could have been his chance back in to the team and the good graces of NY... instead he says no and pisses off more than just the coaching and management staff...

will this:
a) hurt his chances of being resigned again after NY lets him go
b) make Q-Rich look like a king for saying what one of the players needed to finally say

not to mention Iverson didn't train and is in the shit yet again, just like the good ol' days for him I guess... good to see nothing changes

Topic #18225 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Surely the knicks are just gonna let him walk end of the year and clear the salary. They may even use the cap space to buy a decent FA to help convince LeBron to be knick?

I just can't see how he can possibly get a team to play him...

And Tinsley is still sitting on his ass in Indiana...

Reply #214264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if i was marbury i wouldnt have played either. why help out a team who has benched you for the entire year and when they get in trouble with they want you to play. id tell them to shove it too.

Reply #214265 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

Yes but why was he benched. Marbury is a cancer in the locker room. He has always had a me first mentality.

Reply #214266 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is there a way for teams to get out of contracts like this, without disadvantaging players who simply signed a great deal and are underperforming (but actually trying to help the team)?

Reply #214267 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Marbury is an idiot who needs to be shipped out of NY.

Reply #214270 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

The dude is a multi multi multi millionaire...Suck it up princess and get out there..

Some guys really have it hard.

Reply #214271 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

No way to break his contract over this. He was also late for the team bus, so it looks like the Knicks will fine him $200k for that.

The knicks should just make him sit at home for the rest of the year, his $21 mill comes off the books, and then give some of that money to Boozer to entice Lebron to the Knicks and show that they are making the right moves.

Reply #214273 | Report this post

Dog 51  
Years ago

I'd say NY management have been aiming for this situation all along.

Marbury has broken the contract, by not agreeing to play, and could be held in breach. NY wont need to pay him out and will still get him off their books.

Would be hard for the players association to argue as other players (although not as highly paid) are in a similar situation, of not getting to play each week.

Great retort by Q-Rich, about time a player called him out.

Reply #214275 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Marbury hasn't breached his contract. At best the team can do is suspend him and hit him in his hip pocket.

Marbury has never said during game time that he won't or doesn't want to play. Both 'offers' have been made by Coach D prior to the game and at no time has he been 'ordered' into the game. A very very big difference.

At no time has Coach D told Marbury "get your ar$e in the game now". If he refused, then yeah, he'd possibly be in breach of contract.

Reply #214280 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

if before the game he says we want you to play, and Marbury says, no I aint playing... fair sure that would be saying no to playing and being in breach... Knicks will probably wait till it happens again then hit him with huge fine and try to get out of contract without paying a thing

Reply #214282 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

How can you be in breach of contract by refusing an offer..... You can't.

On the first occasion, Coach D said to Marbury "I've got 30-35 mins tonight, do you want them". Marbury then said will I become a permanent part of the rotation, Coach D said 'no'. Marbury refused the offer.

On the second time, Coach D said to Marbury to start at the SG for the rest of the season. Marbury declined is due to the buyout process already had began and his wasn't mentally ready. Fair enough.

Once again, they never came in game time. They were offers from Coach D. It's everyone right to refuse or accept and offer.

If he was in breach, then why hasn't he already been terminated. Be serious, the Knicks could instantly wipe $21 million off their books and stop paying a guy that is in street clothes. He's costing the Knicks $200k a game, why would Donnie drag this out if there was a legitimate breach. You'd waive his ar$e at the first opportunity and then sign some D-Leaguer to fill his roster spot for $700k for the rest of the season saving yourself $21 mill.

Reply #214285 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Opps.... Second paragraph...

On the second time, Coach D offered to start Marbury at the SG for the rest of the season. Marbury declined due to the buyout process already had began and his wasn't mentally ready. Fair enough.

Reply #214286 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

ESPN now reports possible buy-out for Marbury. However those rumours have circulated for a few weeks now.

We'll see what happens.

Reply #214288 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

This could get interesting. Marbury has continuously stated he wants all him money.

Hell, I'd sit at home and play xbox for a one-off payment of $21 million.

Reply #214289 | Report this post

Sebastian Telfair  
Years ago

Marbury would be silly to agree to a buy-out which is why he hasn't. He's got nearly $22m coming to him either way. The Knicks are doing everything possible to piss him off in the hope he agrees to a buy-out and leaves.

It's all shenanigans.

If the Knicks wanted to they could tell him to go home but they dont want that, he's not going to agree to a buy-out if he's sitting at home wasted thinking of new tattoos to get on his head. The guy's an idiot and a cancer but he's playing this pretty well. I'm sure being represented by the Players Association has something to do with it.

Bottom line he'd be stupid to leave more than $20m on the table when he's never going to see money like that ever again. Didn't he say he wanted to go and play in Italy once this contract expired?

Reply #214295 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Knicks won't just go after him for one breach, will be too hard to get past players association and time consuming, why not have him stuff up few more times then when you try to get out without paying anything its faster and easier??? Come on TR, think about it.

Reply #214299 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Why are they talking about buying out his contract?? They waive him, they have to pay him. If there was clear grounds to terminate via breach why would they chuck away $20 million in buying him out. If they can terminate via breach, then there is no need to pay him. Why give him any money if they don't have to.

How has Marbury stuffed up?? The Knicks were the ones telling him he's not wanted and won't be playing, they dictate the circumstances. They have had ample opportunities to sort this mess out. I think what Marbury has done is wrong in a moral and professional sense, but the Knicks themselves have instigated and caused this mess.

Explain how it would be hard to terminate his contract if he actually had breached it. It would be in clear black and white and there is SFA the Association can do if there was a clear breach.

Don't tell them that Donnie wouldn't breach and terminate him at the first available opportunity. He's costing the Knicks $200k a game. He sits for 4 games and gets $800k. The NBA minimum is $780k for the season.

Remember he signed that contract 6 years ago, and back then who would of guessed that he would refuse to play. No one would of written into the contract that if you refuse to suit up then we have the power to terminate the contract.

The Knicks also haven't activated him and placed him on the roster either.

Reply #214300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754