Paddy
Years ago

36er Rotations

Watching the game last night I was concerned with the way the rotations went, particularly in the first half, with Scotty taking off Julius, Balls,and Schench all together and putting on Cooper, Jacob Brad Hill, Brett and Brad Davidson. We went from 12 points up to two point up at the end the half.
I realise they need a break to come into the next quarter, but I think better rotations could maintain the momentem in a quarter. Its a bit much to expect Coops to do it all on his own, particularly as he seems reluctent to put shots up.

Topic #18247 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry do you mean with Coop on the court with those other 4 players that he'd have to do everything on his own??

Reply #214521 | Report this post

FTPLTR  
Years ago

I think you will find that after last night's game Ballinger and Hodge will NEVER be off at the same time again. That almost cost us the game.

I think Ninnis needs to look carefully at the way he uses Maher. Yes play him for 6-7 mins a quarter but make sure you get the most out of him by running more plays for him. At least spread the floor a bit and let Maher and Ballinger spot up in the corners while Hodge pentrates.

Other comments:
If only we could morph Cooper and Schenscher and keep Luke's offense and Coops D. Luke's D was another rason the Hawks kept it close - Davidson and Tragardh did as they pleased.

I think the Sixers should go small a bit more often - especially against a team like the Hawks. Run Jacob at the 4 and Ballinger at 5 and then Hodge plus two of Davidson, Maher and Bruce. The three bigs on offence doesn't appear to be working.

Reply #214524 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Absolutely agree Paddy. There were times when there was only 1 legitimate offensive threat on the court and you just knew that the shot clock would run down to 5 seconds or so and that player would be forced into putting up a prayer that will never go. There is no excuse for having any combination of Cooper, Hill, Holmes, Davidson, Bruce (and Winitana if he ever plays again) on the court at the same time. Defence is great, but it's only half the battle - we have to be able to score too! The amount of times this season that I've seen Maher or Hodge have to put up a ridiculous shot with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock drives me insane. Although obviously all players must be rested, we cannot afford to have Maher, Ballinger, Schenscher and Hodge (or any combination of 2-3 of these guys) on the bench at the same time.
Also, Ninnis must call the most amount of subs in the league. There seems to be little to no balance on the court with players coming in and out every two seconds, particularly when more than 1 player is subbed in at a time. Rotations need to be considered more carefully and players need to be able to get set into the play, not be expected to light it up in their infrequent 2 minute stints

Reply #214534 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I think it is time to bite the bullet and decide on the rotations now - the players need a bit more stability and consistency from week to week.

Reply #214557 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I though the only reason Cooper gets on the court is his Defence!!!
He couldn't even do that for most of the game.

Maybe they should give his minutes to Winitana and play some small ball when Luke is on the bench.
Maher
Hodge
Winitana
Holmes
Balls

or for a run and gun Line-up
Davidson
Maher
Hill
Hodge
Balls

Maher and Balls could get some open 3s as the trailing player on some fast-breaks

Reply #214591 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I'm voting for this:

PG: Davidson (28 min), Bruce (20 min)
SG: Maher (28 min), Bruce (10 min), (Hill 10 min)
SF: Hodge (40 min), Hill (8 min)
PF: Ballinger (20 min), Holmes (28 min)
C: Schensher (30 min), Ballinger (18 min)

Cooper if you need some D instead of Schensher or if balls is in foul trouble. Hill's minutes depends on form with Winitana to pick up any slack.

Reply #214594 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

I'd also like to see Hoban in the mix for a few minutes to give him a try. Really liked the look of him for the 2minutes he was on the court a few games ago.

Reply #214618 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Also wondering about Aaron Bruce's lack of confidence with three point shots. I watched him in the warm up and he hardly missed a three. Didn't take many in the game though . What's up???

Reply #214621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754