STAT
Years ago

New shoes? What to buy?

I need a new pair of kicks for basketball and im unsure as to what i should get. What are the best shoes currently available atm?

Talking quality aswell i need shoes thatll last 1 maybe 2 seasons not some And1 pair thatll last 1 maybe 2 games.

Topic #18303 | Report this topic

bill  
Years ago

air jordans do the trick

Reply #215180 | Report this post

aaronbrucefan  
Years ago

depends wat u find the most comfortable. i had reebok answer 8s n they were uncomfortable as. i hav found nike pretty gd and even an and1 pair i had was gd. jus shop round but i find adelaide has lack of choice. foot locker in city is pretty gd or www.kikz101.com.au which is a shop in melb

Reply #215181 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

what are u after?

looks/design? or performance (which part jumpshots, rebounding etc.)

Reply #215182 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

Humpa: Definiately performance

Generally play the 4 spot but do have decent midrange so i guess almost a little of both boards an shooting.

Is there any shoe that is particularly good for post play?

Reply #215184 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

didnt know there were specific shoes for 'jumpshots or rebounding' humpa?

what do you do in a game after you grab a defensive board in your 'rebounding' shoes? do you have to call a timeout so you can change into your 'jumpshooting' shoes for the next offence??

Reply #215189 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

Nike Air Zoom Huarache 2k4 is the one for you (probably the best basketball performance shoes IMO).

Air Force 1s are pretty good as well.

You can even try out Shox.

Reply #215190 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

TS Pro Models are sick too...

but i can't find them in Aus.

Reply #215191 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Converse shop @ Harbour Town is pretty good.

Reply #215193 | Report this post

Ace of spades  
Years ago

hyperdunks! there the best

Reply #215195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hyperdunks are acual soo light

Reply #215197 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"didnt know there were specific shoes for 'jumpshots or rebounding' humpa?"

There aren't really, but there are shoes that are designed more for post players (Force, Air Elite, most Shox etc.) and then ones for guards and wingmen (Huarache, Hyperdunk etc.).

Personally, I'm a SG/PG and the Nike Huarache 2k5 are the best kicks I've ever worn. -I also still wear my 2k4's and the LeBron IV's and they're both good. I will probably get some Hyperdunk's soon... yeah... but back to STAT...

For a Power Forward I'd say a pair of the new Nike 'Six' (LeBron's new one) would be the go. I haven't seen them out yet though so if that's no good then maybe the Zoom Soldier II TD's (Jacob Holmes' shoes) or the Power Max's or if you don't like flat souls, the Shox Slam's. Plenty of options. Most of them would be on the nikebasketball website:

http://linky.com.au/260po

Don't stray away from Nike/Jordan though, I don't care how bad they treat 'em, those little slave kids really know what they're doing :P

Reply #215210 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

I have been told by a couple of the guys here that the K1X Cheifgliders are the best shoes they have ever worn... I'd say the would be perfect for guard play!

Corey would also like me to tell you the 187's... they are sold out in Townsville though :)

Reply #215220 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

I just had a look at the 'Graeme Dann is a tool' thread and I am embarrassed to say he is wearing the shoes I recommended! :(

Reply #215221 | Report this post

ballerpod  
Years ago

Stick with Nike zoom air all the way, heel and forefoot.

Zoom air is compressed under 30psi, where air max is under 25psi and normal encapsulated air is under 15 psi. The higher pressure in the shoe does not in fact make it harder but more responsive, meaning better initial shock absorption (takes longer to bottom out, as FORCE = Mass x Acceleration and acceleration is change in distance over change in time by taking longer to bottom out/absorb shock it actually increases the cushioning aspect) also aiding in losing less energy when you propel/take off.

All decent Nike shoes have an EVA (foam stuff) which is the current choice of midsole for all top running shoe brands.

And1 in particularly still use the older PU (poly urethane) midsole, it is lighter but much harder and more durable (used as some And1 shoes are made forstreetballing/outdoor courts etc)the durability of the And1 shoes or lack there of is probably because they have not developed a standard cushioning system and different models are sort of just slapped together, also their upper durability is somewhat of a concern.

Adidas have come along way recently with their NBA range, but beware they will be slightly heavier than their Nike counterparts due to the cushioning systems (adidas use a different density EVA or foam which they call Adiperne which is heavier than a air filled sack as you can imagine).

The width of the shoe or a lateral filler (which is the sole of the going more to the outside of the foot) will aid in lateral stability but may slow you down in straight line motion some what due to the increased contact area with the ground, but if you are a bigger player and are doing spinning/sliding post power moves etc i would recommend getting a model that has a fairly decent lateral side to the shoe.

Narrower thinner shoes are better suited to the smaller quicker player that must run more so. Hope this help, any other shoe question i am more than happy to answer.

(Mod: Informative. Hope you don't mind, but I've added some paragraph breaks - will make it easier for people to read.)

Reply #215223 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

Hyperdunks easily the best shoes on the market. high ankle support. they are the lightest shoes i've come across in a while. in baller shoes, you get what you pay for. converse are horrible. and 1 and made very cheaply.

Although, the nike shox and the worst shoes if you have had knee problems. well, basically any shoe with an elevated heel.

check out EASTBAY.COM

service is awesome. delivery time is only a couple of weeks. yes, the Aussie $$ sucks. yes, you have to pay for delivery. BUT it will always be cheaper than buying from footlocker. i ended paying nearly $100 less when i got my hyperdunks. plus, most sizes go to 16 or there abouts.

Reply #215225 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Eastbay.com

Couldnt find more selection anywhere!

Reply #215237 | Report this post

Cantelope  
Years ago

Ballerpod, whats your opinion on the Asics Gel as a basketball shoe?

Reply #215239 | Report this post

aaronbrucefan  
Years ago

eastbay is deffinately the go

Reply #215245 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Hyperdunks.

/thread :P

Reply #215256 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

Nike Hypermax......look them up.
Prob the nicest shoes i've seen in a while.

Reply #215263 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

lol @ Asics Gel

Reply #215274 | Report this post

ballerpod  
Years ago

Cantelope:

Depends which model of Asics you are talking about.

If you mean a court shoe models are rocket, blade, resolution etc, then these would be fine. They have a gum rubber sole (very soft compound) for ultimate grip and are really designed for volleyball, squash, badminton, table tennis etc but would be fine on the basketball court. They would be much lower cut and hence lighter than a standard basketball boot, and as they are designed for court sports have a good longitudinal rigidity which provides lateral support for side to side movements etc. Asics are considered a soft shoe so the cushioning aspect would be fine.

If you are talking about a cross trainer, models such as the 140TR, 480TR, 580TR etc, then most of these will be fine as well. These shoes are designed as a multi-purpose shoe and most have a herringbone grip (wavey lines of grip) which provides good grip on smooth surfaces ie. Basketball courts. I would look for one that has rear and forefoot gel ie. the 480 model as some cross trainers are more geared towards a walking shoe which is designed with most of the cushioning in the heel. Cross trainers are also fairly rigid so will provide good lateral support.

Running shoes on the other hand are designed for straight line running, and have a blown rubber or carbon rubber outer sole in a pattern designed to give flex and cushioning in the right spots of the when you are running. Asics models include Kayano, Nimbus, 2130 etc etc These shoes tend to be more flexible and offer little lateral support, are probably too soft for the basketball court and if they have a carbon rubber outer sole will also mark the court. Although in saying that quite a few female basketballers and even the Australian netball team get away with wearing them, most probably because they are lighter and tape/brace their ankles.

Reply #215300 | Report this post

ballerpod  
Years ago

Also Nike Hyperdunks are so light because they use Nike's new Fly Wire upper material, it is a very thin light weight material that appears almost see through, this reduces the weight of the shoe considerably. The Hyperdunks are a relatively narrow model so if you have narrow feet they would be fine.

Reply #215301 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

have to say go buy a pair of 'black' nike hyperdunks.

;] there good stat.

Reply #215309 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

Ah Kobe i was awaiting your post

Well maybe id have a pair if u hadnt taken them out of my bag at our game ;)

Reply #215317 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

yeah thought id take 'my' shoes back. haha

imformative thread hoopsters.

Reply #215320 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Shox spotlights are good. Got pair of them recently and they are sturdy and comfy, not to mention not too heavy.
Jordan Jumpman Elite are also up there with comfort and sturdyness.

Reply #215357 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754