Quagmire
Years ago

Rose or Oden- Who would you pick?

This is not a rookie of the year question, its a question based on the idea that your a GM with a no.1 pick and Oden and Rose are the prospects. So we are looking at careers here, not one season.

Topic #18340 | Report this topic

Flinders 67  
Years ago

What are the needs of the team?
Who else have you got in your line-up?

Have you got a championship window coming up in the next 1-5 years, 5-10 years?

Are we talking Oden & Rose both at the time they declared, or post-oden's surgery? Are are you talking about a 1/4 way through this season?

Shit question Quagmire.

Reply #215580 | Report this post

ballerbands  
Years ago

how about if you were starting a team today from scratch to play in the league next year and beyond and one of these two had to be your first choice?? would that help you answer the question flindersnerd67?

Reply #215583 | Report this post

Flinders 67  
Years ago

ballern00bands - much better question.

Starting a franchise from scratch, (assuming you only had their college careers to go on), i'd take Oden.

Was a more dominant player at college level, and has the size and versatility to compete at the NBA level.

While Rose is obviously a star, Harris has shown that quality guards arn't always obvious, and you can 'pick-up' a cheap quality guard if you've got the right scout and an ounce of luck. Big's don't work like that.

Reply #215592 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Expansion team.
You have another two picks in the draft one at 14 one at 45, but you traded that one for a vet pg (knight i think).
Your coach has a 234-198 record but has been coaching college for the last two years.
Your GM was sacked at his last post, your owner is a internet whiz who stumbled upon mega bucks and wants his fav city to have a winning team.
Luxery tax is not an issue.
Your city is 126ft above sea level so altitude is not a problem.
The stadium runs north to south and has excellent lighting and eating facilities.
Your able to see into the future and base your pick on what each player has achieved thus far.

Want more?

ok-
Your cheerleaders have an average weight of 67kgs but its misleading coz of derrick the male member who tips the scales at 98.
Your court anouncer is the nephew of the owner and really struggles with a nervous stutter.
LeBron james was seen wearing a T-shirt of your cities baseball team.
You will play in the northwest division with 3 '5 games in 7days' road trips scheduled.
Kanye West is your number 1 ticket holder.

Reply #215594 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Actually, Quagmire's question was a good one - too often GM's draft players to fill positions rather than talent - ie Blazers drafting Sam Bowie ahead of Jordan because they already had a gun 2 man in Drexler.

So lets say I already had Chris Paul on my team, and Dwight Howard. Would I take Oden or Rose?

From what we have seen - it would be Rose.

Oden will be a solid Centre, provided he stays healthy, but he seems too lumbering to be a Centre in the moukld of say Ewing, or David Robinson. Even Tim Duncan at the same age was far quicker and mobile. But Oden has been out of the game a long time, so it will be interesting to see if he really develops.

Rose is just a massive talent, and could even be better than Chris Paul, Deron Williams etc.

Reply #215596 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Truth be told, the pick would depend on the owner.

If they own a team to win a championship- its got to be Oden. D wins championships and with Oden your gonna have a huge presence in the paint and players his size are very few in the modern game.

If your owner wants to make money- Rose. Not saying he has no chance of a title, but he is a player that will def fill stadiums and get your team on ESPN. An awesome talent who will be tearing up the comp for years to come. Oden won't fill a stadium, he will evolve more like a Duncan, someone who wins with great D and little flare.

Reply #215599 | Report this post

aaronbrucefan  
Years ago

oden will b btter in 5-10 yrs, rose is bttr now. if i was aimin at a championship in 5-10 yrs id pick oden. if i needed a spark off bench n was aimin to win championship in nxt 1-3 yrs id take rose

Reply #215642 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

LOL (#215594) funniest post Quagmire haha.

I would take Rose if he was the first player, but if I already had Dwight and CP3 I'd take Oden. (Dwight is more effective at PF than Paul/Rose would be at SG).

I have to say, if it wasn't for Derrick the male cheerleader my answer would be completely different.

Reply #215653 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

I would take rose without question, he is a gun and has already proven himself as a serious NBA player and potential star.
Oden has yet to do anything sure he is big and can block shots but from what I have seen him play he wont be a big scorer.

For those who havent seen him play here is a preview

Reply #215785 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:14 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754