Curtley
Years ago

Cortez Groves cut by Dragons

Cortez has been cut by Brian Goorjian. Dunno the details.

Topic #18382 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Yet to recover from injury or Goorj thinks they need more to guarantee a strong showing from here on?

What sort of position would they try to fill with a replacement? Another PG/SG maybe?

Could they pick up someone from Cairns even?

Reply #216139 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i was almost going to predict this, body language of late between him and team mates and could never really see Tez fitting into the Gorj imports are on the bench systemn.

would say this is the last we will see of him in this league now.

Reply #216144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps an option for the Sixers when Balls naturalises and Mahersy retires??

Reply #216149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

curtley - who is your source/where did you get the information from?

Reply #216153 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Reply #216156 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I guarantee that whoever they replace him with, they will definately blow the budget, because they are the Dragons and play by their own rules!

Reply #216160 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I wonder if they would consider bringing in another Aussie to replace Tez.

Neil Mottram?
Jullian Kazzough?

It's not like the Dragons don't already have a enough studs. Maybe a hard working big to assist Burston and Horvath would be good for the balance of the side.

Reply #216183 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Nah, I think a versatile SG would be a better option.

I'd consider a straight Horvath-Khazzouh cut though but that's a different story.

Dontaye Draper would have to be a chance if Goorjian wasn't so in love with Adam Gibson.

Reply #216193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We certainly do not need another point guard. Got that position well and truly covered with gibbo, Rhys and dillon.
I'd like to see a reliable scorer

Reply #216205 | Report this post

Perth Sixer fan  
Years ago

ill put money on the end up with derrick lowe

Reply #216223 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Ebi Ere :-)

Tigers cut Ebi replace him with their beloved DT to try even more weird guard rotations. Ebi finaly joins dragons and refinds some of his shooting form we're he has little pressure to score.

Reply #216233 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I'd suggest Abney would be heading down South.

He would allow Goorj to move Wortho back to the 3 and play Abney at the 4, even move him to the 5 if they want to play small ball.

Could allow them to start -

Gibson
Ingles
Worthington
Abney
Burston

Or go small

Gibson
Ingles
Darden
Worthington
Abney

Definitely not a bad lineup.

Reply #216239 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Cortez no doubt is an awesome player but never fitted with South, you don't go from averaging 20's and slashing, dunking and playing with flair to the unconfident player he seemed. Il bet the injury is bogus and they did it for better chemistry. Hope he does come back here one day and shows what he can do.

Reply #216252 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Thought it worthy of clarification he has not been cut just simply not going to recover from
"injury"

http://linky.com.au/zrqrp

Reply #216256 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

He was cut because he was going to miss the whole season (actually got an email from south) and they wish to contend for a championhip, so Cowan doesnt want to blow his chances without 2 imports.

Reply #216270 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

There are a bunch of good players in the D-League, just a matter of if they want a 3 month job overseas or want to hang around hoping to get a 10 day gig in the NBA after New Years.
eg David Noel, Luke Jackson, Ronald Dupree, James Mays, Coby Carl, James White

Reply #216286 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

NBL site quote:

"We've essentially been playing a man down for the past month and in this league, that's tough," Dragons coach Brian Goorjian said.

Keep writing the cheques for those container loads of $$$ Mr Cowen. You do want your championship, don't you? We wouldn't want to put Brian under any pressure.
BTW, gift wrap a deckchair for DICKO while you're at it.

Reply #216308 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

You guys (HA HA and DDFAN) making comments about the Dragons spending is a joke.

Come on....you do have a CLUE what they're paying Hodge, yes?

I mean, your own coach publicised the figure months ago in an attempt to stop the Tigers from signing him up.

Pot Kettle Black, kiddies.....I'm sorry.

And kman...if the injury was bogus they wouldn't have been sitting him out for the last month.

Reply #216315 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

DICKO mate, the figure that was floating around was what he'd been offered elsewhere. That was before he was cut, if you recall?
Put on some floaties & enjoy your deckchair.

Reply #216319 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it was after he was cut. Was mentioned on Oct 27th while Hodge was cut on the 24th.

FWIW, I don't think that's what he's actually getting paid. Still, minor issue and Dicko likely still has a point.

Reply #216325 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

No Isaac, I'm sure it's not what he's being paid.... He MAY be only playing part of the season, but as a percentage of the STATED salary, that's still enough to blow the cap pretty easily.

Adelaide people should not be accusing any team of cap breaching.

And DD....I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you are talking about (but it wouldn't be the first time).

Reply #216334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DICKO there is a big difference between signing an Australian Boomers player for 400k out from under another club and bringing an import in for part of the season from the US.

Also our coach is apparently a friend of yours and I doubt he'd be happy you're involved in this conversation, especially when you bring him into the arguement.

Every team breaks the cap, other then the obvious (Spirit, Hawks). Taipans, Bullets, Kings are gone after destroying the competition with their over spending.

And DICKO I hope this means you're going to leave poor McPeake alone now. If it's ok for your Dragons to cheat, and the 36ers then its ok for the Tigers as well, as much as you dislike them.

Reply #216341 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

DICKO there is a big difference between signing an Australian Boomers player for 400k out from under another club and bringing an import in for part of the season from the US.

- Really? What's the difference when it comes to it's effect on the salary cap?

Also our coach is apparently a friend of yours and I doubt he'd be happy you're involved in this conversation, especially when you bring him into the arguement.

- His comments, were in the paper..... pretty sure THEY weren't considered private. My relationship with ANYONE, however, IS Private and I'd appreciate it be kept that way.

Every team breaks the cap, other then the obvious (Spirit, Hawks). Taipans, Bullets, Kings are gone after destroying the competition with their over spending.

- Exactly my point....So the Adelaide supporters above (HA HA and DDFAN) can get off their high horses about the dragons. They were the reason I made the comment, yes?

And DICKO I hope this means you're going to leave poor McPeake alone now. If it's ok for your Dragons to cheat, and the 36ers then its ok for the Tigers as well, as much as you dislike them.

- My Issues with McPeake have very little to do with the salary cap....although I still believe he's one of the reasons players salaries seem to keep driving UP, when everything else about the sport is going down (and you can throw Groves in there as well). My Issues with Seamus were well documented here....... http://linky.com.au/bgp13

Reply #216349 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

(and you can throw Groves in there as well).

- Eddie.....not Cortez, in this case.

Reply #216369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DICKO Cowan is a reason that player salaries are going up as well.

I'm sorry but I do believe there is a huge difference between signing an Australian for 400k and bringing in an import (who btw wouldn't be getting half that).

IMO it's the clubs that flaunt the league rules (Tigers, Kings, Bullets, Dragons, Taipans) which force the small clubs to go broke or put an inferior product on the court (Hawks, Spirit) and then go broke anyway because they cant make an income either.

Then the middle of the roads (Breakers, Wildcats, 36ers) need to compete for the names and break the cap in order to stay with the flaunters.

IMO Wildcats, Breakers & 36ers are over the cap. I would predict they're all spending less than 1.5. I doubt the same could be said about the first five clubs. If the administrators made public what the Kings, Bullets and Taipans spent in 07/08 and the Taipans in 08/09 IMO it would be over $2M per year.

You might say that breaking the cap is breaking the cap no matter how much the gap is. I disagree, breaking the cap by a small amount to compete is one thing. Spending $$ at will to buy a championship is another.

Lastly, you have used your friendship with a certain coach in the past and you have made plenty of mentions about it; you made it public not me.

Reply #216375 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Isaac, you may be right, I'm a shocker when it comes to time frames, & didn't realise that he was cut that long ago.
DICKO, I've never put a figure on what the 36er roster costs, nor have I even hinted that they're under the cap. If saying we were, our bucket over the cap would pale against your Cowen-esque freight container load. Get it now?
My shot at your Dragons was aimed at Brian for crying that he's down an import. Poor poor man, he shouldn't be expected to coach around 1 injury, surely. I can't recall what the 36ers did when Mark Davis had his shoulder dislocated, can you help there?

Reply #216399 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754