Bootney Farnsworth
Years ago

out coach the coach

During the year people have tried to rank who was the better coaches in the league. It all falls flat as someone says "how would you know you've never been coached by them" or "how can you rate coaches"

Well finals is the time.
Players have to step up, so do coaches. Finals make or break coaches just as well as players.

Normally(unlike this year) the finals make up could be decided after the first regular season game therefore coaches didn't have to show their full bag of tricks, they could just sit on them till the finals.
So what's in the (j)bags coaches?

Questions coaches need to ask... have we scouted the teams in the last few weeks? have we devised different match ups? Does the coach have full & half court defenses? Does the team have different zone looks? Have they brought in new plays to get easy baskets or totally changed their offense? New in bounds plays? Does the coach have full & half court special plays to get a quick basket to win the championship? Will they blow an early time out to tell them to wake up or hold onto it for the last quarter?

Last year coaches made some boo boo's...
The Warriors lost the final to West, after a time out with 7 seconds to go & up 3 they allowed Truslove to hit a 3 & tie the game sending it to O/T. Why Warrior players were guarding anyone in the key baffled me, the 3 ball was West's only chance.

Forestville won the finals last year by playing a stock standard match up 2-3 zone & no team made them pay. Sully had an incredible first quarter in the grand final(19pts or so), North didn't make a change quick enough & used all there energy trying to get back in the game.

You never know, a team could win the title because an assistant coach comes up with the right play at the right time...

Topic #184 | Report this topic

deak  
Years ago

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I have to disagree with the scouting aspect.

I don't think coaches have the time or the resources to break down an opposition to that extent. They should, of course, know what their strengths are, favourite plays, types of defenses, etc. But breaking down and knowing an opponent inside-out to the extent you are suggesting takes a lot of preparation. Remember, most teams train twice a week, for 90mins per session. Take out warm-ups, and you're looking at approx. 2 and a half hours of training to prepare.

If I was coaching an ABA team, I'd be fine tuning what WE run, OUR defensive rules, etc. and would be spending little time on the opposition (time's too precious).

Thoughts?

Reply #1261 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

I can guarantee Tracy York will spend half a week preparing and scouting teams for the finals.

Reply #1264 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

That's a little different - Woodville don't have a game to prepare for this week.

I have no doubt she'll be at the Sturt/North game scouting her next opponent.

Reply #1267 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

She won't be doing anything different to what she has done all year. If they did have a game Tracy would do the same. You can bet the whole Warriors team will be at the game on Saturday night.

Reply #1271 | Report this post

Sorry deak, what I was trying to suggest was what you were saying, the coach needs to prepare their own team, to be ready for any situation. Does OUR team have last second plays, full-half court defenses etc. It does read a bit skew wiff.

It is the same players they have scouted over the last few years.
We all know which way Gowers goes.

Reply #1272 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

And Bronson Kies, for anyone at the Woodville v North game ;)

Reply #1291 | Report this post

thunder dan  
Years ago

The northener is correct Tracy will commit all spare time to video and stat review, things will only increase now its play off time, its 1 of a hundred little things that will get a team over the line, scouting is just one of those.

Dont scout a team and pay the price.

Reply #1359 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754