Hear the Roar
Years ago

Gov Grant $220k to Upgrade Morph Vale Stadium

Government announce today the approval of a $220k grant to replace the floors on all 4 courts and redesign entrance facilties at Morphett Vale Stadium.

Great news for Southern and a big win for BasketballSA.

Good to see the Government investing in the sport.

Topic #18432 | Report this topic

Pitter Patter  
Years ago

What about the damn roof that leaks every time it rains?.........

Reply #216943 | Report this post

Jc  
Years ago

WOOHOO!! pitter Wayville leaks more

Reply #216947 | Report this post

w  
Years ago

(Mod: Sniping. Try not to be such a tool.)

Reply #216948 | Report this post

ballerbands  
Years ago

Regardless of your club this can only be a great thing for basketball in this state as all district teams will get to play there! it will especially enhance the numbers in the southern area which probably will strengthen the club in the long run! I think it is awesome we will have another high quality four court basketball stadium in this state and that the government has supported the project with this much money!!

Reply #216958 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fantastic news for ALL basketball players in this state.

Reply #216959 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Another reason to hate the Tigers.

The one-sided refeering will continue.

But overall this is a great thing for basketball and great to see basketball recognised with this funding.

Reply #216960 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Personally I'd like to see the stadium reduced to 3 courts of a high standard with roll away grandstands. Imagine it like a smaller version of the Dome.

Obviously will never happen...

Reply #216961 | Report this post

Astor 23  
Years ago

Will cost about $600K to replace 4 courts with PS1 level floors like Wayville or Pas.

Reply #216964 | Report this post

gov  
Years ago

not true at all astor, real cost is no where near that + this amount is a grant that is matched dollar for dollar by the recipient!

Reply #216965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I certainly hope they put in a new court better then the average 'new' courts at Pasadena. They'll not falling apart like the old ones but that's the only thing thats better.

Reply #216981 | Report this post

nounsa  
Years ago

COME ON NEW SOUND/MIC SYSTEM!!! PLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Reply #216992 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

Blue Collar,
Theres no need to make it a three court stadium, If the ugly stands are taken out and admin/reff area taken out there would be plenty of room for four full sized courts and roll away stands. Would make it an amazing facility

Reply #216993 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Better hope its not with that grass stuff they had there years ago

Reply #216997 | Report this post

Yellow Eyes  
Years ago

Pity such good news turns into sniping against 1) Tigers and 2) refs at MV. It seems any excuse to have a dig when there are genuine people around the club doing their utmost to improve basketball in the south. And if theChump33 really knows his refs he would be aware that the MV ones are in no way the most biased- Pas and Mars anyone??? I would like to think this is a positive step and those associated with the club and the Stadium Manager have worked overtime to push this thru- our courts have been awful for years and we have belted our heads against the wall to get them fixed. Its fantastic and will provide a great facilty for all that come "up the hill".

Reply #217008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yellow eyes, with respect, a certain high profile coach at your club places so much pressure on the refs they change their calls for him.

Reply #217010 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

i doesn't matter whether thats he case or not, the simple case is that the thread wasn't about southern it was about the stadium upgrades and therefore the sniping is completely unwarranted unless the upgrades will in some way increase the biased reffs

Reply #217023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't even think Southern were involved all that much.

Wasn't the grant arranged by BSA (who managed the stadium) and the Council (who own it) not Southern Tigers (who just hire the place for trainings)?

Reply #217031 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Great to see this happening, but is it enough to get that stadium up to scratch??

Reply #217040 | Report this post

good wake up  
Years ago

Funny isnt it how the good news comes and people attribute it to the club!! Andy bad news and it is BSA's fault. Just doesnt seem right.
Anyway good job to BSA and the stadium manager who pushed it all through and got the grant. Minimal effort for the club, although with new courts they might actually have to pay for training!
Well Done BSA.

Reply #217064 | Report this post

Jc  
Years ago

good wake up- Tigers do pay for court hire of mvale

Reply #217091 | Report this post

Yellow Eyes  
Years ago

Funny too isnt it that so called people 'in the know' say the club had no input into the application or any ground work done. If you dont know the facts dont comment. Happen to be a part of what has been going on and the club DID have a say, was involved in meetings with BSA and Stadium Mgr etc and I was someone who walked around pushing the petition on Friday nights too! Its all about getting basketball back to where it should be and providing the best possible facility to the south. And if you winge about coming up the hill maybe the lure of new courts will take the bad edge off the experience. As for the refs- dont get me started again- bias is a perception and as I said Pas and Mars rate worse. But I guess those who winge the loudest are usually the ones who dont know the rules. As for the coach who gets calls changed- you dont think the presence of a certain man in blue at Pas has any impact on refs there? Get real-lets celebrate some good news for a change.

Reply #217108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yellow eyes, you just bagged Sturt and ask for everyone to celebrate? What will change down there? nothing. It has been proven with Centrals great facilities do not always equate to success and growth. Love to know what coach down at Sturt you think can have calls changed? Still stinging from the 8-0 whitewash last Friday night? i think those yellow eyes are getting a little blurry.

Reply #217122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for the refs... bias is a perception and as I said Pas and Mars rate worse"

I'll take "Hyprocritical Statements" for 100 thanks.

LOL at Yellow Eyes 'celebrating' some good news by bagging Pas and Mars refs and a certain Sturt coach!

Reply #217131 | Report this post

Yellow Eyes  
Years ago

You can call me a hypocrite thats ok, and hey did I say what coach I was talking about? Too many to choose from? Its ok to bag one but not another? I guess after years of having to put up with the crap thrown at this club you start to sling some back. My bad. Sorry for the offence. After years tho of travelling to Mars and what I have seen at Pas on occasion this season I stand by my observations. So we all have opinions and thats healthy but it would have been nice to keep out the sniping when people didnt know the facts. Its been a long while since I actually replied on this and its obvious to me why that is. So it will be great to see the upgrade, I wasnt there at Pas to see the whitewash but heard reports, lucky for you anons who like to bag anything Southern I wont bother again so that will be your Xmas pressie. Merry Xmas basketball lovers.

Reply #217146 | Report this post

??  
Years ago

I am curious if 220 000 will be enough? If not who will cover the shortfall? The reason i ask as i see Norwood oval also got money to improve lighting and if they do not raise the balnace for the project, they lose the original funding.

Reply #217161 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just change a couple of words and you have the exact sort of thing you have been complaining about:

"After years tho of watching Southern in the comp and what I have watched happening on occasion this season I stand by my observations."

You stand by your observations and they'll stand by theirs, so you can see the problem, right?

Reply #217255 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

I don't think I have played at a stadium where I haven't had some sort of bias reffing against me, maybe only the dome and possibly wayville. So when people take a swipe at one stadiums reff in particular maybe they should have a look at the calls they're getting there way when they play at home before they start bitching about reffs everywhere else.

Reply #217282 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nutter,
c'mon you know each stadium has a slight bias towards the home team. It's always easier to be nastier to someone you don't personally know.

My lad's team played on the weekend. 8 fouls to home team, 25 to the away team. Our games normally average 13.1 to them, 12.7 to us. Statistically speaking, 25 fouls is 3.6 std deviations from average, or around 97%, meaning that the team has a 3% chance of achieving 25 fouls. For them, 8 fouls is -1.48 SDs, or about 85%. ie 15% chance of getting 8 fouls in a game.

On the free throws on the weekend, 8 to them, 0 to us. Normally 5.8 to them, 6.1 to us. The first game in over 50 games where we haven't been awarded a set of FTs!

Guess that's just the way it is as an away team!

Reply #217289 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jack Toft - you seriously need to "get a life" what parent knows all these stats about their kids team. I bet you video each game as well?

Reply #217294 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, god forbid a parent shows some interest in their child's sport. Sure, it can be over the top, but there's nothing with some stats to help make a point! Could easily be that Jack is the coach or has received these stats from the coach - many would track this sort of stuff out of interest, right?

Reply #217299 | Report this post

pffft  
Years ago

completeley way over the top for a parent to go that far!!! i thought it was a joke at first!! this is junior sport, referees should not be scrutinised and analysed to that level at all! and even more so the players should be able to just play for the fun of it without that much statistical bullshit!! means nothing in the real world, just hope the referees and the kids are enjoying the sport!!

Reply #217310 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There is so much rubbish about clubs not developing their junior players.

You can't improve something without first getting control and you can't control something unless you measure it.

Yes, I do take the stats for the coach and review each game with him as far as where/how the team could improve. From that we tailor a development plan for each player.

Maybe that's why our boys improve so much over the course of a season and why they enjoy being on our team so much.

Winning 100% of games in junior sport does not develop any character. Knowing that your skills have got better each week does.

Yes, I am a stats nut. I have got a couple of degrees to say so too. Modelling multi-variable systems is what I do - think of me as Charlie Eppes (LOL)

Reply #217315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yellow eyes,
Genuine congratulations on the revamp of the stadium and I hope it is a great success. As to the question you posed, I think the gentleman from Sturt has an equally intimidating effect upon the officials to your Southern man and both should know better. The major difference is that the Sturt guy has the knowledge and coaching ability to go with it, yours just thinks he has.

Reply #217318 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This is good news - how people are finding negatives in this is beyond me. However the funding does pale in comparison to the $1.1m Kilsyth (VIC) got to revamp their ageing 4 court stadium.

Reply #217320 | Report this post

Wayville 48  
Years ago

Jack,

Did you include the possible variations for personel differences, or for changes in coaching philosophy, or changes in refereeing focuses, or even changes in the game due to players moving up into higher age groups and the pace of the game being higher when comparing to bottom and top age players over a summer season.

If not, your stats mean nothing.

Reply #217333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad my kid doesn't play in the same team as Jacks child. Measuring individual stats in a team game is flawed and leads to the problems of "getting mine" instead of what should be the greater goal.

As for a parent developing a players development plan....LOL.

Reply #217336 | Report this post

tank  
Years ago

l Think it good news for southern they have put a lot of work to get it.
Does that that southern might a chance of getting u20s national next year instead of going at Gawler.
Good on you Southern and BSA.

Reply #217398 | Report this post

good wake up  
Years ago

Seriously Yellow Eyes I unfortunately know a lot more than you do it you sit here and say the club was involved in a matter that helped the cause. I wont argue with you on Hoops about this as it would be embarrassing to your club for the truth to come out. My point is only that BSA and the Stadium Manager did a majority share of the work and deserve some credit for this - instead of the club trying to grab all the attention now it has worked.

Reply #217411 | Report this post

What the  
Years ago

Seriously wake up call. The original post had nothing about Southern claiming the credit so I am not sure what you on about.

I do know it is great for Basketball and the fact its Southern home stadium is great for them and will lead to bigger and better things no doubt.

Reply #217418 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wayville 48,
Yep, with sufficient data points a multi-linear regression takes those factors into consideration as part of natural variation in a system model.

Different refs have different emphasis points. A good coach can spot this in Q1 and modify to suit.

Anon 336,
The team always comes first. A champion team will always beat a team of champions. Having a team of SASI players playing for themselves will always loose against a team who pass and play as a team. As I said, how can you expect a player to improve if they don't have a basis to start from? Stats aren't everything, you use them to your advantage when required.

Your expectations of your little johnny or janey's coach are obviously low. Unusual for a competent parent

Reply #217432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack please explain to me how your stats include the fact that a player may foul more if they are tired from sitting in a car to travel to an away game as opposed to a short travel to their home venue?

Or how a player is affected by a 6pm game as opposed to a 11pm game?

Or how the stats are affected by a team being thumped and therefore playing defence for longer periods of the game then they do when they win?

Or the coach playing a trap as opposed to a zone?

Stats can be used to sell any story, which is what you've done. Luckily no one here buys it as sport just isn't that simple, especially junior sport.

Reply #217439 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yep,
you're spot on. There are too many variables per game.

On the balance of probabilities and all things being equal the foul count per team should be rougly the same.

The actual number of fouls awarded per game doesn't matter and I think it's good to generate a manageable foul count - shows the players are working hard for the ball.

However, you miss my point. Human nature is that we find it easier to be nastier to people we don't know, or don't like, or who we pre-conceived ideas about. That's why prison officers and the like remove themselves emotionally from the sitution.

As a ref it is the same. If you are associated with a team, your natural instinct is to provide that team with a little more leeway than you would the opposition team who you don't know. If you had to shoot someone or be shot and were asked to shoot either a man you knew, or someone you didn't, you would select the person you didn't know each time.

You expect to get harder calls away from your home court. Look at the scoresheets for your team. I would expect that the team gets a couple more fouls on average away from home, but a few less at home meaning an overall a standard "bell shaped" distribution would occur. 75% of the time, you'll be within 1 std deviation of the average, and 95% of the time within 3 std devs.

When you are outside this range, then statistically speaking an additional factor(s) is at play,

Reply #217453 | Report this post

Wayville 48  
Years ago

Jack,

My opinion is that you are a blatant lier

Keeping stats against 1 team from over 50 games would take about 10 seasons. I would guess that you wouldn't have been taking stats since U10s.

Go back to your fantasy land and come back with something that resembles the truth.

Reply #217458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't say per team, just a total of the last 50 games for his team.

Reply #217461 | Report this post

Wayville 48  
Years ago

Then he would only have had a possible 2 games at any one away stadium and the data is a complete crock anyway, as it has double the home ref's bias.

And considering it is a parent taking the stats, the authentisity of them is not reliable anyway.

Reply #217475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Jacks been found out!

Reply #217486 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wouldn't the foul count come from a stats sheet?

Reply #217494 | Report this post

Love Stats  
Years ago

I think taking stats is fine as long as you have been asked by the coach to take them in an official role. I have been asked to take stats for 3 seasons in the past and have really enjoyed the experience.

Some times you think kids are not contributing much at all, then you look at assists and rebounds and understand that they are a huge part of the team. It also works the other way; sometimes the "stars" of the team are not doing all that much. Yes, stats can lie; however they give you a reference point for the coach to begin to work on aspects of the game the team might lack.

What I hate is the parents that take stats for themselves. I know of one set that takes mins each player gets, points and rebounds and then quite openly relays these to anyone who will listen to try and further their child, oh and the other parent tapes the game as well!

A $220k grant for a Bball stadium in SA is a win for all SA Bball fans.

Reply #219205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754