Anonymous
Years ago

Scrap the Poaching Rule.

At present, breaking the existing poaching rule occurs and is almost impossible to police because if the kid goes they are not going to admit being approached and get their new coach in trouble while if they don't go, making a fuss just about spells an end to their career, so let's just get rid of the pseudo rule and have open season.

A particular coach has made an art form of poaching kids by bombarding both kid and parents with texts and emails building the player up and denigrating their existing club in order to secure players and in some cases just to weaken a team.

Whether that's proactive team building or merely short term and destructive is for others to judge but I believe we need to scrap the rule and all the pretense associated with rules that exist on paper only.

Topic #18441 | Report this topic

Leopard 59  
Years ago

Didn't know there was any rule?

Just a fine if a player from SASI moves to the club of a the State coach without them being on the senior required players list.

Reply #217082 | Report this post

ChuckPerson  
Years ago

This is no rule but which coach is it? Post their name for all to see.

Reply #217089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or the club/s

Reply #217092 | Report this post

Innuendo  
Years ago

Yes by all means post a name, and have proof and be prepared to back it up in court when you are sued for defamation. Chuck, get a life and go back to reading New Idea with quotes from "Insiders".

Reply #217093 | Report this post

ChuckPerson  
Years ago

I would consider anyone that gets on the phone directly to kids to get them to play at their club is the one who needs a life and anyone who supports them needs a brain.

Post the names of these morons but make sure you have proof.

Reply #217094 | Report this post

Leopard 59  
Years ago

That is, ChuckPerson, if it actually happens of whether somebody is just defaming somebody else without proof.

Reply #217098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a question about poaching.
I coach at a local club and in my time have coached at other clubs as well. One of my former players said he was going to quit basketball as he was dropped to under 20 division 2 and didn't like the lack of committment shown by his current coach and didn't like the way the club in general handled his basketball career. I said to this player rather than quit the sport he should come and play reserves for me at my club.
My question is this... Is this poaching?

Reply #217106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No 106, that's not poaching in any sense IMO. Poaching here refers to sasi squad players supposedly not being able to be approached by coaches to swap clubs. It happens and that's life but the point is, why have a rule that is virtually unenforceable for the reasons in my original post above.
There is ambiguity in the rule and often it's 'friends' that approach players first to test the waters but certain coaches (not a lot) feel immune from BSA wrath and ethics and flaunt it.

Reply #217111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blah Blah Blah, Every club has done it. Anyone who says they haven't is lying. Another re hashed topic that comes around when a good player moves.

Reply #217120 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

who moved this time?

Reply #217126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not sure, but have heard a couple of things but normally someone has when a topic like this starts.

Reply #217128 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Dont let the sasi or state coaches, coach at that age group or be envolved in recruitment

Reply #217136 | Report this post

Pultney 52  
Years ago

What happens when a SASI players wants to move clubs and they legitimately want to move to a club with a SASI coach?

Reply #217143 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

how many kids total are involved in sasi program's right now?

Reply #217159 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Scrambled or Fried.

Poaching is for girls and Jamie Oliver wannabes.

Reply #217163 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

west player to sturt u\18s

Reply #217165 | Report this post

Grote St  
Years ago

Including bottom age U16 players, about 80.

Reply #217167 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interesting how they all seem to end up at one club?

Reply #217168 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

hmmm, sturt! they dont normally poach do they?

Reply #217169 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

Oh wow, 80 kids, that is heaps! i had no idea the program was that big...

Reply #217173 | Report this post

Dirty Sturty  
Years ago

Can't believe that kids with elite goals would choose to go and play at the club that has continually developed more high level players!

Surely they should go and play at Centrals or Woodville for all the great coaching and development that goes on there! (insert sarcasm here)

Reply #217194 | Report this post

lions  
Years ago

last time i checked the Centrals under 18 boys beat sturt.

pipe and smoke it Dirty Sturty

Reply #217229 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

One saucer of milk for Dirty Sturty please

With claws that sharp, you must have come from the Tigers before you were poached yourself?

Reply #217234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-3-0-78602-0&pool=-1&round=0&a=LADDER

and sturt are still 4th after all their poaching....

do forestville even have any SASI players in their 18 boys div 1 team?

Reply #217239 | Report this post

Dirty Sturty  
Years ago

And there best 2 players were away on SASI tour. Congrats, see how you do when it matters.

Reply #217247 | Report this post

Answers please  
Years ago

Why aren't there any F/ville players at SASI?

Reply #217252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dirty Sturty" sums up dirty sturty.

Reply #217319 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Chose not to be involved.

Reply #217329 | Report this post

frog 22  
Years ago

I find it hilarious that someone from Centrals believes their 18 boys would even get close to Sturt when their SASI players are not in the USA. I'm guessing Centrals didn't even know and thought they were pretty fantastic beating Sturt! Sturt at full strength will belt Centrals. And no, I'm not from Sturt.

Good one 'lions', you Centrals people are always good for a laugh.

Reply #217330 | Report this post

Dirty Sturty  
Years ago

And anon reprepresents all those people who are unwilling to follow the philosophy of development through effort. But are happy to winge and complain when things don't go their way.

Reply #217337 | Report this post

twigs13  
Years ago

ppl knock centrals because they think we're crap and they cant handle being beaten by us, dirty sturty and frog 22 just need to go and lick their wounds and nurse their obviously overrated egos. you lost deal with it,saying what may have happened is an empty and egotistical threat, what did happen is fact, simply you lost.
Go lions and well done to the 18 boys

Reply #217342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dirty, dirty my dear old thing, you can't have it both ways-poaching and developing. Which do you do best?

Reply #217345 | Report this post

Twigs  
Years ago

sorry, frog22 you didnt lose in that particular game but possibly in another and you fell the need to bag the team that beat you, aka centrals, to make yourself feel better about it? just a theory

Reply #217347 | Report this post

Dirty Sturty  
Years ago

Consistantly producing AIS level players is development.

Having players ask to come to your club isn't poaching. They chose to come to get developed because they are unhappy where they are.

Reply #217348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so Dirty is it appropriate for a certain club to be scouting U10 and some U12's - knowing the names of the good players from opposing teams - I guess they are not yet SASI

Reply #217351 | Report this post

Dirty Sturty  
Years ago

anon,

If by scouting you mean, coaches knowing which players to defend, which kids are good players and what hand they prefer to dribble with, absolutely. If you are saying that U10 and U12 players are being approached, you probably believe in Santa as well.

Reply #217357 | Report this post

frog 22  
Years ago

Twigs - not that it matters, or anyone else cares, but your theory is wrong. As far as I can recall, I have never been part of a team that has been beaten by Centrals! In fact, this year like most years, I don't even get to have a crack at them, because they choose to play their Div 1 team in Div 2.

Good luck to the U18 boys. They have done well for a Centrals team and finished 6th.

Reply #217382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#351, Don't you think asking someone called 'dirty sturty' for an honest answer is asking a bit much? And sturty how can you claim a development program when you have so many established kids coming to your club -surely they are developed for you so you can put up premiership contending teams.

Reply #217385 | Report this post

Dirty Sturty  
Years ago

Winning games in SA doesn't count at AIS camps.

And I dont see ALOT of "established players" coming into the club.

I've see a couple, a majority of Sturt players that go onto bigger and better things, have played with Sturt for a number of(more than 2) years. And those that have been at Sturt for a short period of time, have generally gone from being good, to very good.

Not all players can go onto higher levels, but some clubs, (not just sturt) have an extremely higher number than other clubs.

Why?

Reply #217393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Santa's not real :( .... might need a spolier on that mods

Reply #217402 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

sturt will bend over backwards to get a good div one player from another club who must of gained some skills from there last club, but would they do the same for a div 2,3,or 4 player

Reply #217420 | Report this post

lions  
Years ago

what is bigger and better?

State
NBL
Div 1,2,3 college
ABL
SEABL
WNBL
European contract

decide on bigger and better then measure each club

until then its all talk and no walk.

Reply #217460 | Report this post

MakesSenseToMe  
Years ago

Lions, what is bigger/better doesn't have any influence on this discussion. The most important thing a club can do is enable an athlete to achieve their maximum potential.

These egotistical clubs and coaches dont realise its the kids that do the work, its the kids parents that bring them up, its the kids that set the goals and perhaps most importantly its the parents that give them their genes! The Coaches are just a very, very small piece. If an athlete is good enough they will make it.

If you want to measure a club and its coaches look at an U12 team and track it through to ABL. Has that age group improved during their time at the club? Your discussion re: the Lions U18 group is very relevant to that perspective. The same clubs seem to have teams and athletes improve yr after yr whilst the same clubs see their groups go backwards by the time they get to 20s. I actually think Sturt does a very good job too. Some clubs not so good.

Reply #217473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754