me
Years ago

NH- Whats worse Morning TV or Radio?

Ok..yes, its nearly xmas and im bored at work, but seriously...how PATHETIC is Morning radio and TV?

talk about going for the lowest common denominator, I now just watch Fox news and then listen to a CD on my way in to work.

Can these people really be as dumb as they seem...or is it us?

Topic #18442 | Report this topic

hereschenes  
Years ago

ABC Newsradio FTW! (972AM in Adelaide).

Reply #217095 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Me - glad I'm not the only one who can't stand it. It's almost insulting to one's intelligence to have the morning TV crap flung at them.

The danger is, this is where less discerning people get their news (and with the way these shows are presented, probably their opinions aswell).

Reply #217097 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Coshy only speaks the truth!

Reply #217102 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I hate Televised and Radio newscasts period. Most networks tend to have stupid top stories like "Ben Cousins has been picked up by Richmond"

Next week it will be "Ben Cousins passes gas; said to be relieved".

Yes, Mel and Kochie are complete tools when it comes to presenting; but they're doing a marginally better job than the Today show.

Thank god for the internet where more important information can be found.

...WOW! There's a NEW mexico now?

Reply #217103 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

of course on the positive side...they do make Today Tonight and A Current Affair seem intellectually challenging. :)

By the way...when did the Tigers sign gas?...and is he any good?
oh right..that was "passes gas"...not "passes TO gas"
:)

Reply #217117 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Unfortunately, the lowest common denominator takes over wrt news and so only populist items are reported on.

A death in Australia is worth 5 deaths in USA/UK/NZ/Canada, is worth 20 deaths in other 1st world, and is worth 100 deaths in India.

As a society, we like our male news presenters old as this portrays wisdom and knowledge, we like our female news presenters young looking so the men think "I'ld like to have her" and the women think "I'ld like to be as thin and pretty as her"

Morning radio is dribble to fill in the time between news updates, morning TV is just promotional stuff between new updates.

Which one is worse? That's like asking is it better to play for the Taipans or the Spirit?

Reply #217123 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Its sad when cartoons on channel ten are better than whats on the other channels

Reply #217134 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

Not that I've ever seen them but I reckon a couple of weeks of getting up at 4am to get made up and plonked in front of a teleprompter, reading someone else's appeal to the LCD would make me brain dead too. I'd probably quit and become a radio broadcaster. Only on commercial radio though, 'cos you can always put on "Thick As A Brick" and piss off 40 minutes early

Reply #217137 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

To think Journalism requires 90+ on T.E.R scores.

Reply #217144 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

That 90+ suggests we have...
1) too many people going to Uni
2) Too few Uni places

Reply #217149 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"To think Journalism requires 90+ on T.E.R scores."

...and in addition to that, the yr12 subject with the largest journalism aspect, English Communications, get's scaled like hell (ie. if you get 17 it becomes 13 on your TER). Sooo messed up.

"A death in Australia is worth 5 deaths in USA/UK/NZ/Canada, is worth 20 deaths in other 1st world, and is worth 100 deaths in India."

Reminds me of 'Real Stories' with Hamish and Andy:

"A huge FIVE Australians have died... along with thousands of New Zealanders... but FIVE Aussies!!!"

or something like that, lol.

Reply #217158 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Radio

Reply #217187 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Morning commercial TV and radio are both awful.

Xztatik - that's probably by design, as 'me' alluded to - I think more people doing a subject and finding it straightforward can result in scores being adjusted.

Is English Communications the equivalent of English PES back in the 90s, or English SAS (which was the 'easy' option)?

Reply #217260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The original concept for Sunrise was for it to bring to television the feel of commercial FM breakfast radio, mixed with the interactive/talkback/for the people attitude of AM breakfast radio. So blame one for the other. The Today Show used to be far more 'serious', but has long since followed Sunrise down to the bottom of the barrel.

Reply #217272 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can see the same trend in newspapers and (historically more 'serious') papers like the SMH and The Age becoming more tabloid-like in their online material. Crikey had a list from News Ltd of the 100 most popular stories from their online properties - from memory, the most popular related to sex, scantily-clad women, celebrities, crazy mishaps, and mutant animals. There were two stories pertaining to politics and one of them could've been loosely categorised under both politics and sex.

Reply #217276 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Now, if I'm the NBL marketing person, I take the following ingredients as mentioned above and wonder exactly how I can combine them (ie, sex, scantily-clad women, et al) into one mega-story involving Shane Heal, a two-headed goat, the back seat of a car, and some 'ladies'.

Reply #217279 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cheerleaders, rats, a Dome that is more like a cube - that's the foundation for this revival.

Reply #217281 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bo, you deserve a basketball. When you say 'ladies', do you mean those ladies with something extra to give?

Reply #217286 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I'm smelling JT's 'Sexy Back' as the soundtrack for the NewBL, something like your Tina Turner/rugby league 'Simply the best' combo.

Let's get him to re-record it with some alternative lyrics like 'We're bringing sexy back', instead of 'I'm bringing sexy back', although the following lines could be fascinating viewing given their appearance in a TV commercial, overlaid with the accompanying visual of some lucky NewBL players gyrating:

You see these shackles? Baby I'm your slave
I'll let you whip me if I misbehave

Reply #217287 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Jack Toft: if I had poor taste, I'd say yes, they put the 'lad' into 'ladies'. But I'd never stoop so low as to make that sort of crass joke.

Reply #217288 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's no poor taste on this forum

Reply #217290 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Like your work Bo...can we assume when you are suggesting "bringing sexy back"...you are talking about a Paul Rees return to the game????

Reply #217355 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Sexy back reminds me of Pero Cameron

Reply #217394 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754