Paddy
Years ago

When is a foul not a foul...

I have to agree with Boti Nagy's comment in today paper about the "manhandling, mugging,mauling and holding" that went on in Saturdays game, particularly whenever Schensh had the ball anywhere near the basket. In all the games I have seen the officials seem to think a 7 foot player is fair game for any marauding team that lobs in the Dome.
However in fairness I guess on Saturday the calls seemed to be equally bad at both ends, except for Schensh who seemed to be targeted by everyone.
Love ya game Schensh!!!!

Topic #18492 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It seems as though any opposing coach's plan in managing Schench is to rough him up a bit with holding and all of the above.

Perhaps we should put some lederhosen on Schensh so that when his opponents start the slapping on the arms they think they are at Schutzenfest?

Alternatively, perhaps some stilts for the refs so they can get a better position. Unfortunately the sound waves created by the slapping must be travelling over their heads and they can't hear it.

Reply #217796 | Report this post

Raytri  
Years ago

When the refs give that crazy arm bar signal, like a half mast nazi salute,usually done repeatedly while fleeing the scene of carnage.

I believe it means "yes I know it was an obvious foul, but in my infinite wisdom I am letting play go on".

If we are not careful we will allow basketball to degenerate into something else, such as survival of the biggest and roughest.

It appears that the big name clubs can ignore the salary caps and also get a free ride with the refs at times.

Reply #217799 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Some of the attempts to prevent Schench getting the ball in the air (which I acknowledge were called fouls) were being called unsportsmanlike fouls in the pre-season. Honestly, there isn't really a play for the ball if all you are trying to do is keep the poor guy's arms at his side.

Reply #217814 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Happens to all bigs in all leagues. The smaller the defender the more pushing they will try and get away with. We should know we've had Holmes play some big roles at the 4 spot in years gone by, Sapwell as well.

Reply #217827 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I think Luke's getting off lightly. He hasn't been thrown to the floor, had his headband ripped off, or had hits nuts picked by a Kiwi fruiter.

Reply #217835 | Report this post

Raytri  
Years ago

DDFan you obviously weren't at Saturdays game, I think the opposition caused Schensh to hit the floor at least 4 times.

Reply #217866 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Raytri, I was just kidding. ; )

Reply #217916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same thing with charging fouls big guy gets hit and falls ref yells get up. small guy get hit charge!!!

Reply #218114 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754