soun
Years ago

NBL reform

With the NBL having a stricter ownership criteria next
season, and the merging of NBL/BA is there enough change for the new league to be a success?

Topic #18521 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

the financial state of the world has put some question marks over the strict ownership rules for newbl.the actual game on the court is very good,the marketing is nothing short of atrocious.this area of our game needs a lot of tme and money spent to go to the next level,that is the problem!!

Reply #218074 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

It depends on how well (or poorly) they monitor the flow of money into and out of clubs with what they're spending.
Owners who want to win at all costs and end up killing the sport in said city thereby disillusioning fans, players who don't care where they go and aren't interested in building or cementing a public branding on a team and coaches who also don't think of the consequences when their greed gets the better of them- they all just up and leave, sign somewhere else and put it down to experience and a learning curve and never give it another thought.
Unfortunately for those left behind holding the pieces, it's just not good enough.

As mentioned above, the economic crisis will have some bearing when one of the first things people cut from their budgets is entertainment, so they will have to make it more viable.

Players need to be willing to get out there and promote the game because that's what other athletes in other sports are getting off their butts and doing for the betterment of everybody so that the money keeps flowing in.

Reply #218081 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

no change as far as i can see...i hope it prospers..but i canot see what has been changed in order to improve the result

Reply #218084 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

me, no criteria other than the bank guarantee has been made public at this point, and the criteria is still being worked out with relevant parties, so naturally as far as we can see nothing has changed.
Once the criteria is settled upon we will have more information to make an educated decision on whether they have done enough or not.

Reply #218086 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what does anyone think of the luxury player exemption ??
i think going in to this next era of 'bums on seats' at all costs that it might be worth trying,or at least exploring.
one marquee player only who is exempt from the salary cap.
for example bogut gets sick of nba,made all his money and decides to come back to aust to live, suiting up with which ever team he decides to buy!!same with anderson,jawai,mills......the list goes on and my mouth is watering at the thought of it!!
what are the down sides????

Reply #218088 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

The one import player exempt from the salary cap was already in the review findings.
I'm not sure your example of a player who can switch between NBA and NBL is quite what they had in mind though.
I think the idea is good, but like everything, it depends on what kind of set up and rules revolve around it- otherwise it's just more incentive to rape and pillage out of a sport that's been sporting a sore bum for too many years now.

Reply #218090 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i am looking at it from a business and marketing angle.
what if this was the case,say for eg i am the ceo of gillette australia and i want to spend $500,000 for 1 or 2 years on marketing our new electric shaver.
i go to the dragons for eg, and tell them if they can sign a high profile player nba/ex nba for 1 or 2 seasons they will also be the figure head for there new product.includes tv commercials etc maybe it could work both ways!!

Reply #218094 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

like above, since first day the reform papers were out I thought it was some bullsh*t, those idiots are just trying to find owners with more $s and not trying to get their own acts together. Probably the WHOLE management needs to be replaced with people who actually knows about both the sport and business.

skull-I really like your ideas but it won't work since NBL simply don't know how to market and have "superstars"; by spending ~$500,000 that won't be enough to attract any big names.

with all this said however, IF they are going to be FTA TV that'd be a BIG boost for the league, but even then they'll still need to be smart with their marketing from there on...

Reply #218098 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

The problems are hardly confined to NBL staff- haven't you heard of McPeake, the Tigers cheating, Goorj who sends everybody broke, Groves, Cowan, the Dragons cheating, the Taipans being overpaid, etc?
There are several villains in the picture- it's practically a fulltime job in itself just to keep an eye on such people who don't exercise better judgement and save the sport from a few less problems than what it already has.
Simplistic people in the sport incl players with me attitudes do the NBL favours.

Reply #218100 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

uh...if NBL guys were doing their jobs, then these cheating acts wouldn't have been there. NBL staff = eyes wide shut!

Reply #218102 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Sure.
But ask yourself how much better things would be for EVERYBODY if entities apart from NBL staff gave us all a few less dramas.
Just because they can get away with what they do due to the League looking at other issues, it doesn't mean they should and can't have the ability to have integrity until Mum or Dad constantly punish them or shower them with attention.

Reply #218105 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

that's just the way this world is, if "the head" is useless and don't have control then the whole thing is going to get out of control. this is a key ingredient in a successful business. You look at EVERY successful business around the world, there are rules they follow, businesses that don't survive are the ones who don't follow rules.

Eg. McDonalds have strict rules on how each burgers are to be made (will have obvious kaos otherwise); while here if NBL can't follow through their own rules, they're the ones for the blame (the boss can't stand firm and gets played around by his employee)

Reply #218109 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

We all know how it works in the real world with real organisations considering we work in accountable jobs for several hours a day.
Most people still agree that everyone could be doing more- and better.

Reply #218115 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

this happens everywhere when there's no order or rule followed! you can't deny it...those teams has eaten the forbidden fruit and god (NBL) has no power to do anything, heaven shouldn't be created if they can't control what happens in the first place.

PS. I'm not a Christian

Reply #218124 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

*cough*

Reply #218153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754