Anonymous
Years ago

Mackinnon Done, Tigers Hunting For New Player

In the post match press conference of the Tigers vs 36ers game Al Westover said that Sam Mackinnon was done (doesn't wan't to risk it) and that they will be looking for a new (aussie most likely) player to replace him. Also mentioned that they might be after Kendall but would that have to wait until next season as he under contract with Perth for this season. Anyway...discuss.

Topic #18537 | Report this topic

Humpa  
Years ago

Darren Ng to the Tiges.

Reply #218412 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Kendal's contract runs until Rogers is back. At that point they will have to cut someone not necessarily Kendal but someone as they wont fit under the point's cap.

Reply #218414 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Am I the only one that thought it was premature for MacKinnon to be saying he expected to be back on the court within a month after suffering blood clots for the second time?
Normally with those blood thinning medications you can't play contact sport for up to 3 months, so he was on those and had to stay in hospital in Darwin for an extra week before they'd let him fly back to Melb.
Can't think of a replacement right now but feeling a little bad for the way he's had to go out.

Reply #218417 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

HAHA, if you're interested, I've done a bit of a write up about DVTs (Blood Clotting) & the precautions on OzHoops. It may help to explain Sammy's situation.
He's made a very tough decision, but I think he's made the right decision.

Reply #218421 | Report this post

Hound  
Years ago

Personally, I agree with your comments there.

Even with the stockings I'd be weary. Flying with blood thinners isn't something I'd feel real comfortable doing even with new innovations.

Playing the games would be less of an issue with me than the flights... perhaps they could limit him to regional games (Vic and NSW, poss Brisbane if they get a decent stretch into it before hand) and see how he's going.

But honestly they need to move Barlow back to where he's comfortable a hell of a lot more than they need MacKinnon, so I'd be surprised if he played again this year.

Reply #218468 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Hound:

"Even with the stockings I'd be wary. Flying with blood thinners isn't something I'd feel real comfortable doing even with new innovations."

True, that's the decision I've made in abandoning any thought of airflight.

From OzHoops via singy:

"Confirmed by Sammy tonight that he won't be back this year. Medical staff and potential legal issues will keep him from playing."

Maybe the legal/insurance issue forced his hand, but I'm confident that it's the best outcome for Sammy.

Reply #218474 | Report this post

Hound  
Years ago

Its also the best thing for the Tigers ;-) I'm not saying that they forced him out, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. They need Kendall more than Sam Mack.

That being said its also possible that its all above board and that they didn't have to force him out because there's just case for him to be kept out. I just don't think the Tigers wil be crying themselves to sleep that this happened, its given them flexibility...

Not that I'm accusing them of anything...

Reply #218475 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Mackinnon is and has been missed more than any other player on that squad, wouldn't think there is any forcing out in this situation. If they were that way inclined they would have shafted Barlow to the bench a long time ago and tried running Crosswell as their starting PG and give the guy some confidence in distributing the ball.
I'd say they've just got lucky with timing on this, they will still however sorely miss Sammy Mack.

Reply #218476 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754