Anonymous
Years ago

Reffing Changes Depending on Player

One thing I don't understand about our great game is why reffing changes depending on the player. Can someone please explain to me why refs let veterans and superstars get away with much more than rookies! Its no secret, commentators talk about it all the time. Rules are rules and should be the same for EVERYONE.

Topic #18554 | Report this topic

STAT  
Years ago

Intimidation, going both ways: scared of the vets and stars and to strike fear into the rooks

Reply #218626 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

If you ask anybody (players, coaches, fans) in ANY sport what they want from the referees/umpires, the #1 answer is always CONSISTENCY.

An incident should alway be called the same way regardless of who the player (or the ref!) is, regardless of which end of the court it is, regardless of whether it's the first minute of the game or the last, regardless of whether it's the first game of the season or the grand final. And, to the refs, if you see it, CALL IT!!!

There'd be a lot less frustration all round if that were the case, which sadly it's not in our very-far-from-ideal world.

Reply #218654 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Star players do get both ends of the stick. They constantly get held and absorb more contact with no calls. If they called all those fouls it would be a pretty boring game of basketball. To balance them out sometimes their defensive player gets called for soft fouls or when they are in defence they get away with a foul. I am all for consistency as well but thats just how the game goes in any sport.

Reply #218669 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754