Darrall Imhoff

Darrall Imhoff, who as a 6-foot-10 rookie center for the New York Knicks had the misfortune of guarding Chamberlain during his 100-point game in 1962, said, "I spent 12 years in his armpits, and I always carried that 100-point game on my shoulders. "After I got my third foul, I said to one of the officials, Willy Smith, 'Why don't you just give him 100 points and we'll all go home?' Well, we did." Two nights later, at Madison Square Garden, Chamberlain tried to go for the century mark again. But Imhoff held him to 54 points. The fans gave Imhoff a standing ovation. "He was an amazing, strong man," Imhoff said. "I always said the greatest record he ever held wasn't 100 points, but his 55 rebounds against Bill Russell. Those two players changed the whole game of basketball. The game just took an entire step up to the next level."

But Imhoff held him to 54 points.

Topic #18588 | Report this topic

so  
Years ago

who cares...

Reply #219116 | Report this post

Silk  
Years ago

Wilt was no Robert Horry

Reply #219117 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

reminds me of the quote from one of the Bulls players after Micahel had 63 against the Celts
" I will always remember this as the night that Michael and I combined for 69 points against Boston"

Reply #219122 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Interesting article ELG. The poor guy.

Reply #219126 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

LOL
elg you kill me with ur randomness!!!

Reply #219169 | Report this post

Ostrich 39  
Years ago

Randomness?

Yeah - fully random of ELG to be bigging up his main man Wilt! fully.

Reply #219172 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Kent Brockman kills me with his randomness! hahaha. Gold.

Reply #219197 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754