Isaac
Years ago

Chance for Taipans to stay alive?

A few quotes late last week have Chuck Harmison denying any formal enquiries for a revised ownership out of Cairns, but hints on OzHoops from people in Queensland suggest there may be interest from a possible buyer.

Brad Tassel is the name put up as a potential owner.

An article on Cairns.com.au notes that anyone getting involved now could skip the requirement of buying a $1m license should someone look to enter a team later.

Here's the article: Buy now, don't pay later

Topic #18595 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw, so existing licences stand.
So the million is for any new teams wanting to enter the newNBL. Unlikely then.
Owners bank guarantee. Guess it's not a cash security. Probably cost is a bit of bank interest.
Not too bad then.

Reply #219186 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I really hope Cairns can go again although unlikely.
I have a friend in Cairns and they are really passionate about there team with a regular 3.5k attendance and the club and plyrs do a lot in the community. The wierd part is no plyrs etc knew as
on the night before the owners announcement the club had a film night for their supporters with free drinks etc with all plyrs there enjoying the night

Reply #219206 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I'm confused.
It was initially and until right now, as far as I know and others, that everyone was to put up $1mil for the bank guarantee.
Who is to say that a current club bypassing that requirement, will not struggle during the course of next season.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, it sounds like a half-assed arrangement to me and not going to solve any future financial problems- eg the Hawks struggling from year to year and not having to pay the $1mil but will probably struggle again next year and for however more years they are in until their life support machine is finally switched off for good.

Reply #219305 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The license cost is separate from the bank guarantee.

Reply #219316 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754