Quagmire
Years ago

What if Coach D'antonio was at the...

If D'antonio's system rewards Chris Duhon with a 22 assist game and turns Al Harrington into a 25+ ppg scorer...

What would happen if he coached the...

Hornets?
Chris Paul would get 30 / 15+ per game!

Jazz?
Williams would be gettin 25 / 13+
I don't even want to predict what AK-47 would get!
(ok- 18 / 10 / 5 with 3 stls / 4blks)

Cavs?
LBJ 35+ / 12 / 15?

Is he effectively killing stats as a method of measuring a player in the league?

Should we just have an asterix next to any player in his system that appears in the league leaders for any stat catagory?

Topic #18601 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

There was an article written about this somewhere, I read it the other day.

No doubt you read it because its pretty similar to what you are saying.

It said Nash only won his MVPs because he was in D'antonio's system. And that everything is to satistically based. Maybe you have a link for it. Its not a bad article

Reply #219279 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

It was a Bill Simmons article on ESPN.

Reply #219280 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Cheers.

I guess people will have to go back to watching a lot of games to see who it the better players.

Because, like Quagmire and the article are getting at, how do you compare stats with teams that are putting up twice as many shots.

I guess you end up measuring it at the end of the year with who is holding up the Trophy

Reply #219285 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Well it seems he shapes a team through trade also, so maybe a better question would be, what 8 players would be best for his system? Keeping it realisitic with maybe 2-3 top dollar superstars and then capable role players...

8 players that I think would make a formidable D'Antoni lineup:

C - A.Biedrins
PF - K.Garnett
SF - Josh Smith
SG - Joe Johnson
PG - D.Rose

D.Lee
D.Gibson
J.Moon

That lineup would shoot well, rebound well and out athletisize a lot of other cominations.

I was also thinking of others like Gay, Kapono, S.Jackson, Iguodala, Hamilton etc. Wing players that can light it up when open, or get to the rack.

Im sure I have forgotten a lot of players, any others?

Reply #219320 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Coach D's teams cant play De-Fence

And sorry to say it......Defence wins you titles!!

Reply #219336 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

If i was D'Antonio, i wouldn't garnett in my team. Then again, i don't like garnett. I think someone like AK-47 or Dirk would be good at the forward. Or even bring back Marion.

Reply #219347 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

good call on Nowitzki I feel. Terry would probably also thrive in a D'Antoni system

Reply #219376 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Hey Fez- its real easy to say they don't play good D, but little known fact is that the suns teams he coached were actualy ranked in the top half of the L in D on a points by possesion basis....

Now they were never going to be a top D team, because the system promotes high tempo play, but i think the 'bad D' is a tag that they got simply because he runs a high scoring style...

Plus- look at the squads he has coached, and outside of Raja Bell and Marion, what top defenders has he had?

Balance that with the poor D of guys like Nash, Diaw, and dare i say it, Amare, and you start to realise what he was up against...

Now with the knicks- who on that team would you call a good defender?

Lee rebounds, but isn't much of a defender, Duhon is good, but the rest are just hustlers...

Reply #219758 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

What im saying is....he doesnt focus on his team playing Team defence

Teams that win titles play good team Defence

Coach D's teams dont play that

Just flat out run and gun, and hope you out-shoot your opponents

Reply #219895 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I think maybe he coaches with the team he has got. There only a few guys in the L that you can build a top D team around, i guess he figures if you can't have one of those guys, best load up in the other direction...

I wonder if he coached the celts if his style would change to a D orientated one...

Reply #220924 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754