Years ago

local rivalries

anyone want to comment on good local rivalries and what they think are the best?

woodville and west is always a good one.

woodville and magic seems to raise the blood pressure game night as well.

Topic #18607 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

Got to love the down South derby. South v Southern always produces a close game, and usually a scrappy one too, but in a good sort of way.

Reply #219380 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

When you play against a team from your own club! Because generally you would train with them and there is rivalry at training all the time about which is the better team, and who won what drill etc.....Nothing sweeter than whipping their ass :)

Reply #219386 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

There is normally two rivalry weekend's in the ABL schedule and I don't think this year will be any different. I just think the league need to try and promote it a little bit more.
South v Southern
Norwood v North
Sturt v Forestville
West v Woodville
and Centrals v Eastern (not sure about this rivalry though..lol) Well Jye did change from Centrals to Eastern maybe that's how it started!

Reply #219410 | Report this post

BringSomeCafeine  
Years ago

Southern vs Centrals - Safari Cup

Reply #219414 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Centrals vs Woodville has had a bit of spice since Ricky took over the Lions. Unfortunately for the Lions it has been a fairly one way affair, with Centrals only winning 1 or 2 ABL games against the Warriors in the past 5 years. So you probably couldn't call it a rivalry.

I always laughed at Boti's tagging of Centrals in recent years - Woodville-light. The number of players & coaches from the ABA program at Woodville who have ended up at Gawler is remarkable.

Reply #219423 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

woodville have certainly contributed positively to centrals program but results not yet forthcoming think this year though centrals might surprise - rumour picked up a very promising player with couple heading north
gotta agree south / southern are key rivallry games
they were the days

Reply #219440 | Report this post

NorwoodvNorth  
Years ago

In the past couple of years the best rivalry has been the Norwood v North games hands down.

Last round of the 2007 season was the best game of local hoops i have seen in some time.

Reply #219442 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I suppose the big question is who has the better stadium?

West Adelaide v North Adelaide v South Adelaide

Reply #219447 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I reckon in the boys:

Sturt v any other team (incl. Sturt 2)

in the girls:

Forestville v any other team (incl. Forestville Gold)

Always good to have a win against those teams

Reply #219448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:13 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754