Sam I am
Years ago

Hey Mal; GET OFF THE BENCH!

Mal....for gods sake get your ass of the players bench during games and get it up into that big corporate box at the end of the stadium. You know, the one that has remained empty for most of the season.

Sorry mate but last night I just about had enough of your pained looks every time the opposition scored and really felt like ditching my Giant Twin at you during the last qtr.

Unless you are going to hand out drinks and towels to the players go sit somewhere else. You cant justify your bench space by patting the Junior 6er on the head every now and then. I can only imagine what message your presence there sends to the players and staff. Sheez you are only a couple of chairs away from the coach. Next you will be calling plays to the point guards. Do you sit right next to the receptionist all day and look over her shoulder as well? (ok...if shes hot thats fine, Ill take that one on the chin)

Here's a thought. Strapped for ca$h are we? Invite a few State Managers into that big corporate box every game. Maybe start with the state manager of Distinctive Homes and Pura Milk. Ask them to bring along the managers of their 3 or 4 biggest customers, then wine them, dine them and show them what a jolly good time they can have at a 6ers game as a corporate sponsor.

Later that week send them some info on how cost effective it is to become a sponsor of the 6ers. If you need more money YOU need to do more than sit on the bench sweating on every opposition score.

This needs to be done by the man with the money (oh wait.. Eddy's broke)Well it needs to be done by the next best person and apparently you are in charge. The corporates want to talk to you, the man who runs the place.

It might be to late to organize before this Saturdays game but for everyones sake "Just do it".

Topic #18623 | Report this topic

Corey  
Years ago

Are you happy you got that off your chest?

Reply #219738 | Report this post

Sam I am  
Years ago

Cough, cough...ah yeah...thanks.

Reply #219740 | Report this post

GOod points though. Its like my boss standing behind my shoulder watching me work all day. What purpose does it surve him sitting on the bench. He is the there to build the organisation not focus on his unfulfilled dreams of playing for the 6ers.

Reply #219759 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree do the pr work Mal we dont need you on the bench. Its your party but surely entertaining prospective sponsor would be more beneficial.

Reply #219760 | Report this post

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

Apparently since he sat on the bench we haven't lost a home game, so now its a bit of a lucky charm for the team. I have noticed however that he seems to be moving up along the bench each week. Maybe a seat per game? By the end of the season he could be calling the coaching plays, and by finals time calling fox commentary.

Reply #219781 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i agree despite all that has happened of late its not a nice look, it seems he is checking on everything and that just puts uneasy pressure on you, intended or not. No one likes someone looking over their shoulder the whole time they work.

Reply #219844 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I doubt it's much more than wanting to be/feel/look involved. Can't imagine he's there to keep tabs on the players or meddle with the coaching!

Reply #219852 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I actually compliment Mal on being right there to support the guys. I'd certainly rather that than the likes of the ex Sydney Spirit Owner who no-one even saw.

Reply #219854 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I know if I owned the team I would want to be as close to the action as possible

Reply #219866 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Skip - Look out - Mal wants your job.....!!! He is moving closer, seat by seat.....Apparently he used to DJ at Lennies back in the 70's......LOL

Reply #219870 | Report this post

Duke  
Years ago

I swear when Luke was subbed off he went to high Mal, but Mal ignored him.

Reply #219873 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Should not be sitting on the bench in my opinion, like someone said earlier, he should be in the corporate boxes wining and dining sponsors. Tell me, what do people think of Mark Cuban? Everyone hates him because he meddles too much...where does he sit???

Reply #219916 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think its fantastic, if he is congratulating the players and letting scotty coach without interferring why shouldnt he be there. It shows he has a real interest in the sport, frowning when the other team scores, perhaps like every other supporter in the crowd he wants the other team to miss!!!.

Dont think you can consider it to be watching over everyones back when you dont know the person. I have worked closely with my Boss several times over the years and it was never uncomfortable, infact I enjoyed it, he put in his time to give us a hand, and worked as hard. If Mal is cheering, supporting it can be a good thing.

Reply #220081 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Mal just loves the game & good on him for wanting to enjoy the moment with the guys.
There are 24X7 minus 2 hours a week to woo the corporates. Anyway, I'm sure he'd have a rotation of employees willing to play out the party role with the corporates.

Reply #220104 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

You should marry the bloke DD.

Reply #220126 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Good for Mal. If I pumped that sort of money into the team AND wanted to sit on the bench then f*ck it I'd do it too. Would be a buzz

Reply #220131 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

eat shit ??? (not you lockstock, you logged on before I could get this up) ; )

Reply #220159 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

I take Mal sitting on the bench as a show of support for the team. Not as looking over peoples shoulders to sink the boot.Frankly it's his team and he can do what he likes.

Reply #220514 | Report this post

Sam I am  
Years ago

DDFan, the last time I saw the big corporate box with anyone except a cleaner in it was against Cairns and that was for a Bucks show. If there is a rotation of willing employees wanting to do it - they have been AWOL so far.

I accept its Mal's team (I think)and he can do as he pleases with it; however with dollars very hard to come by in the NBL I would have thought targeting the big end of town was worth a few good car parks, beers and dim sims.

Use the facilities you have to the fullest. Sure target the corporates during the week; but it don't mean a thing unless you back it up with hospitality on game day.

Reply #221800 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Owners should not be on the bench....end of story.

I assume he puts nowhere NEAR the pressure on the Adelaide guys that the lump at the TIgers does, but still, not the point.

There SHOULD be an NBL ruling on who can be on the bench anyways. Coaches players and support staff. That's it.

Reply #221854 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754