skull
Years ago

Taipans advertised for sale

it was quite odd to see a small box ad on page 37 of saturdays cairns post,advertising the taipans for sale.kinda looked desperate and unprofessional but at the same time being transparent and honest for anyone with a few million to burn.

Topic #18674 | Report this topic

A  
Years ago

How does it make it look desperate and unprofessional?

Reply #220755 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

In some ways I can see how it would look desperate and unprofessional- most people interested in being involved financially in the sport don't tend to look for ads in their local paper!
On the other hand, I wish the Bullets would consider doing something similar, instead of only looking at the same old people and pigeon-holing themselves by the types of people they bother to let get involved.
The mates club mentality needs to change.
I hope the Taipans get at least some good leads they are prepared to follow up.

Reply #220769 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

HAHA - excellent point indeed about looking outside the 'comfort zone' of existing business contacts for financial involvement in a club, whether it be with regard to ownership or even just sponsorship. For too long we have seen the same names trotted out and where has that got us - and now that these big names seem to have run out of available cash everything seems to stop.
I know there are people who would be interested in having an involvement with a 'New Bullets' - or even the Blaze (if they were looking to restructure at all before next season) - but odds are they will just stay as faces in the crowd at games because they dont look to bignote themselves and create a profile in the 'mates club' as you so well put it.

Reply #220773 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I know a girl in Brisbane who is very well connected in business, has been a supporter for decades, is good friends with some players (very professional in that sense) and advised Basketball Queensland several times that she knows of interested businesses in getting involved as she is so enthusiastic and knowledgable about the game.
Do you think Basketball Queensland has shown the slightest amount of interest in following up on any of these offers she has provided to them on a silver platter that they claim they would look to follow up?
To say that she and her business contacts feel a bit slighted and offended would be an understatement.

I have kept in contact with her- she was present at their Bullets relaunch I flew up for in September and she is not impressed, almost to the point where she wonders whether to even bother with supporting the team next season if they were to get their licence and team back- she feels a bit used and quite frankly, I don't blame her!

From what I have heard around the traps, Basketball Queensland are still clutching at straws with the same old people in a tight-fisted fashion, and just waiting around to see what the criteria will involve.

They may yet cause the second death of basketball in Brisbane in less than 12 months and have every right to not be happy about it.

Reply #220808 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On the other hand, I wish the Bullets would consider doing something similar, instead of only looking at the same old people and pigeon-holing themselves by the types of people they bother to let get involved.
HAHA - was about to make a similar point. Always look for funding in the same circles and you'll always get the same answers.

Reply #220879 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Isaac have you heard much about the official criteria getting released to the public this Friday, apart from the obvious previously discussed parts we already know about?
I was hoping to have some info by now but seems to be a bit harder to aquire early than the DSEG Stage 2 Review findings.

Reply #220887 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, haven't tried to find out at all. Is it a concrete date, or is there a chance it'll get delayed again?

Reply #220899 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I've been told it's this Friday 16th.
If I hear anything I'll post it on a new thread but am surprised there's hasn't been any leaks that I know of.

Reply #220901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754