Joe The Plumber
Years ago

Will the new league consider opinions of the fans?

If there are ten teams, make it a top 5, not a top 8 or 6 for goodness sakes.

If a team is put in Canberra can it please be made up of atleast 10 aussie players under the age of 22 - AIS graduates, essentially an Australian under 22 team whereby once these players are over 22 they are recruited by other clubs. Fringe players or div 2 players in the U.S. college system would see this as a viable alternative, especially if the players earn scholarships to one of the two universities in Canberra, similar to the Sydney Uni flames in WNBL.

For those who say this will lessen their NBA potential or make them inferior players, remember how highly the AIS is held in the States.

Make Asian players non-imports. In sydney for instance there is a huge basketball-mad Filipino community, but they don't attend NBL games, put simply, a Filipino player on the Sydney team would change that. Not to mention the growing nature of the sport in Asia - China/Korea/Japan have realatively good players.

In the not-too-distant future, assuming enough players of quality exist, start a division in southern Asia consisting of 4 teams. If these teams play 3 times against each other, and once home and away against all other teams, cost of airfares would be minimised. Another division could be QLD (4 teams), NSW/NZ, VIC/SA/WA etc.... whatever makes commercial sense.

So far no one in charge has thought outside of the box since Singapore was put into the league - which was stupid at the time, but not altogether unreasonable had other things been put in place first.

Besos y Abrazos.

Topic #18710 | Report this topic

Coffee Anan  
Years ago

What about trades? It will atleast mean a sentence about BL is put in newspapers each time one happens. No Aussie league has trades mid-season as far as i know either.

Reply #221307 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

I like the idea of an AIS/ Under 22 team, but if they aren't competitive, the team may lose focus and stop trying midway through the season, not thats much difference to a few teams, but it might discourage them, espeically if they're not getting paid (cause they are AIS).

Reply #221314 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

If the 10 best aussie players under 22 (and perhaps two over 22 as 'imports') are all playing, they would certainly be competitive, getting the 10 best aussies under 22 all on the same team might be a bit tough.

Reply #221318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to sure about the southern Asian thing happening. Singapore is likely to want to move into their own Asian league (similar to their promotional tours now but in a more structured format).

Reply #221328 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

"Will the new league consider opinions of the fans?"

no

Reply #221344 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

They'd better.... unless they plan on having more deaths of the game in this country and reviews.
Fans are customers and customers know what they will and won't pay for- every customer deserves a voice and a forum to do so.

Reply #221352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So as someone from Canberra, I'll ask the question? Will you be happy for your tax dollars to be spent on a team to play in this comp. There is very little private enterprise sponsorship in the ACT. The cost of these scholarships, plus a couple of +22 yo "imports" would conservatively equate to about the same as paying a current NBL team by the time you factor in accomodation, food and education expenses. Who's gonna pay?

The Capitals are generously supported by Transact which is an ACT Government entity, so therefore in the absence of a business sponsor, the Federal Government will have to pay for this. The Cannons went through 3 iterations of unaffordability before finally disappearring and I cant see the NewNBL model being that much cheaper than today's, just better governed.

Apart from the fact it flies in the face of a potential D league, I don't have a problem with the idea, I just think the other 19,999,999 Australians may though.

Reply #221405 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I'm not sure if tax dollars should be used for ONE club to have a competition- it wouldn't offer much transparency and consistency.
Canberra has had a team before and for quite a while- they managed to do that without having to rely on public funding to compete.
I am sure that Canberra has enough private entities to get involved.... if enough people in Canberra can engage them to do so, but to be honest, it may yet be a bit of an uphill battle for all clubs yet considering the bumpy ride the economy is in for for at least another year.
I would like to see Canberra in again, but only if they have the long term money to stand on their feet, and not provide the league with yet another version of the eternally-in-the-poorhouse Hawks, etc.

Reply #221409 | Report this post

YeTi  
Years ago

I'll say it again, I'm from Canberra:
a.) There isn't the level of business support you think there is for an NBL license;
b.) There were 3 previous ownership models of the Cannons who ALL failed through costs rising with falling corporate support; and
c.) the only option remains for Govt funding, something which is not going to and shouldn't happen.

I love my basketball and I miss my Cannons, but basketball is alive and well without a NBL team in town. I'm with you HAHA - I don't want to see a team go through the death rattle like the Hawks appear to be. I don't want to see the cowboys run teams anymore, where they couldn't give a stuff about the local talent, and they bleed the loyal fans dry (Johnson, Goves); I want to see a healthy sustainable league (not a league "owned" by McPeake-like egos); and this may mean that it may not have a team in Canberra.

I can still get my NBL fix by attending a few games a year, hope that a game or two is bought to Canberra, follow the banter on great forums like this, and watch my kids play local ball all without the worry of supporting a team bleeding to death in front of my eyes.

I think Canberra has the case to be a great D League candidate with or without the AIS. They have a good record with producing local Aussie talent for the next league, and the AIS is a known developer of college and future NBL talent. A double header road trip in the SEABL will still be just as tough if the D League comes about.

Reply #221422 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754