Cat57
Years ago

ABL Atmosphere!!!! Is there any????

In South Australian ABL, is there any atmosphere at all?? As a person who used to live in Adelaide and used to attend most of the matches i always felt as though there is no atmosphere at all. Even though the quality is high, the clubs need to create a better atmosphere within the stadium to encourage an increase in attendance and atmosphere. This would also encourage more up and coming players to strive to play in the competition..

Also the ABL players need to get out and about the juniour competitions and encourage youngstars and their parents to attend these games.

An atmosphere increase would largely improve the game of basketball in SA..

Topic #18744 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

They all had plenty of reads and replies.

Over 1000 reads and 50replies

Reply #221728 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You couldn't get much better atmosphere in the finals! Not sure about the Grand finals though as it was played at the distinctive homes dome.

Reply #221735 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

You must have only gone to Sturt Mens games in the past if there was no atmosphere. (Kinda like a Lightning game, only with even less people)

08 Grand final was probably one of the best games I've seen at the Dome since the 36ers won the last championship. Not many games get decided by a desperate three point buzzer beater, and even fewer grand finals.

Attendance was pretty good too for a league that has no marketing, advertising or promoting. (Also like the Lightning)

Reply #221744 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So Cat57,
Like I say to all the guys I manage "Don't come to me with problems, come to me with possible solutions"

What sort of things would you like to see at these games? Half time entertainment? Skip could only spread himself so far around the games, but imagine Skip running the musik.

Some other marketing initiatives.....
Centrals could have the Paddle Pop Lion handing out ice cream, Southern could borrow Melbourne's tigger. Forestville have got Eddie the Eagle. Maybe South, Sturt and West could sell scratchies (all are scratchy cats) Norwood could give everyone a candle to light, North could have toy rockets, Mavs could have a shoot off with toy guns and finally Woodville would sell shields and swords to avid fans

Reply #221751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plenty of atmosphere with the panther army!

Reply #221754 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Most games have music already. I think one key is to keep game nights pretty straightforward and simple (a cheap sausage sizzle out front like at MVale is a key) and then just look to spread the word. A good, easy to follow schedule for all games (and per team) would be handy (even a print-out of some sort that can be distributed).

Maybe make more of the 36ers/Lightning players and development squad players that are suiting for teams.

Other than that, it's just a well-kept secret. Cheap ticket, you're rarely further than a few metres from the court, and a decent standard of game.

Reply #221756 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I must admit, I do like going to the Sturt games just to look at the flash cars in the car park!

Reply #221764 | Report this post

Cat57  
Years ago

Are you guys kidding....
go to another state and see how the atmosphere compares to the SA league..
Ive never been to a more quiet game than in the ABL in adelaide, and i have been to all of the stadiums!!!

Reply #221769 | Report this post

Pasadena 56  
Years ago

Jack,

With all the stats you have to do are you sure your horse and cart can get there?

Reply #221774 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Start with getting rid of admittance fees for spectators. It's a false economy. Make it a gold coin donation if you will, but attracting people by reducing costs - especially in an economic low like we are now - can easily be made up through canteen costs etc. Be brave folks - reduce it and they will come. For some people, those few dollars add up.

Reply #221779 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Pasadena 56,
Is that all you got?
I must have touched a raw nerve. Did Mr Ed scratch your BMW last time we came down from Hill Billy country?

The Sturt carpark is like Prestige motors!

Reply #221807 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

But none of the cars in the car park seem to have anything to do with the ABL. Isn't there a local theater or something in the same area?

Reply #221835 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think that anyone that went to one of the South games would have seen a pretty good atmosphere created by the "Panther Army", they were great for the game and definitely helped the Men's team progress further into finals than expected.

Reply #221844 | Report this post

Fan  
Years ago

Change the rules to the same as the Eastern States and get some imports. Make it a level playing field at the nationals. Then you you will see the fans back and need I say...

Reply #221901 | Report this post

no idea  
Years ago

And who is going to pay for these imports Fan?

Reply #221906 | Report this post

in the know  
Years ago

hell some clubs can afford them, if you cant them you get a board that can generate the funds to compete.

an import on a pro rata payment would cost a club about $15,000 per season. thats flights, insurance and monthly wage.

the league could secure a naming rights sponsor and use the money to provide each club with some funds.

Crazy Johns has just bought rights to the SEABL.

Come on Paul Arnott hook up a sponsor.

Reply #221970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say all clubs would be better off putting that $15,000 into junior development. Of course, the 15K probably would have to be paid for by the juniors anyway...

Reply #222025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you need to put more money into junior development when club fees are already sky high. Doesn't make sense. As far as the atmosphere goes it is non existent. Even the Mount Gambier games are better than Souths so called atmosphere. You only need go interstate and look at attendance per game to see why there is no atmosphere. Geelong lead last season with over 1,800 people per game closely follwed by Bendigo 1,400, and Ballarat 1,300. Now all 3 teams are considered country associations. Surely the ABL can do something different. Try adding Box seats, half time kids games, shootouts, raffles. All little things that don't have to make the club money directly but simply making the experience more enjoyable. Team, sponsors. I know it takes people with time to do this sort of stuff but in the overall scheme of things it may raise the ABL's stature a little higher.

Reply #222409 | Report this post

Pultney 12  
Years ago

Is that the dumbest thing ever said, or were you trying to answer your own question?

Putting the money into junior development, would increase the number of junior, therefore spread the amount these juniors pay to have senior players.

Or better still, you could decrease the junior fee's.

Reply #222418 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Anonymous #222409, did you actually go to one of the South Adelaide finals games??? My bet is you didn't, because I can assure you it was a much better atmosphere than the Pioneers home games!

Reply #222661 | Report this post

no idea  
Years ago

That is my point - the junior fees are already sky high - and most clubs supplement their senior programs with this money. And some want to increase the senior programs spending by 15K.
Put it BACK into junior development.

Reply #222667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure atmosphere could be improved but where are we to seat all these extra fans that come out to enjoy the atmosphere? sure some stadiums could cope with a hundred more people but i havent been to a game where its been easy to find a seat at the start of the second game!

we need new stadia before we have to start promoting ABL better!

I remember a few years back at a North v Sturt game at Hillcrest the clubs got together (a shock) and organised the under 10 teams to play each other at half time, the problem being the half time break isnt long enough to do anything more than a raffle draw!

went to geelong when north played there couple of years ago, with half time being longer the local aussie hoops kids played a 10-15 min game being a country team the golden arches sponsered the aussie hoops and prob geelong (not certain) so the club prob got benefits from 20 kids wearing the big M on their singlets on court at half time!

great idea and heaps clubs could do with half time entertainment but 1. need better seating/stadia and 2. need longer half time breaks to provide entertainment, when this happens we can start to complain if the atmosphere doesnt improve, until then expect the same old same old!!!

Reply #223087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone go to any of the norwood games in the finals? north vs norwood round 1 was awesome atmosphere as was it when they lost to forestville the following week. anyone who saw the norwood south prelim would safely say one of the best atmospheres seen in our league. also the north south final was good too! bring back the home grand final. imagine the atmosphere if that final was at wayville or mars!!!

Reply #223409 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754