AndyOG
Years ago

NBL musings

With so much drama happening week to week in this the NBL's twenty-something-th season, I thought I should share some of my musings on basketball with the internet, and here they are.

First on the recent JULIUS HODGE You Tube video where he disses the c*#p out of the Sixers&.I Couldn't help but notice the effervescent love displayed by Julius towards "his boy" former-sixers mentor PHIL SMYTH. Would one be crazy to suggest that if the "well credentialed" General were to pick up a coaching gig in the New NBL next year, that he would sound out J Hodge for a star import jump off? Giving Hodge his much coveted shot at stardom? Maybe at the big city lights of the re-launched Sydney Kings?. The pieces of the puzzle fit people.

Sixers replacement Import ROD GRIZZARD was recently asked about his playing situation at the Melbourne Tigers and said that ;
``It just never worked out (like that). I was the lowest guy on the totem pole.',
well Rodney my friend, the lower figures on the totem poll are actually slightly more important than those above them& lets hope this unintended double entente is a doubly positive premonition for Radelaide Rod and his Ranga front-court ensemble!.

MARTIN CATTALINI felt it was just a big joke to pull on LUKE SCHENSCHER'S pony tail in a recent Snakes v Sixers game at the Distinctive Homes Dome in Adelaide. Could it have been bad karma catching up with Big Red for past juvenile acts of animal cruelty after all these years? Karma is real, and those growing up in rural South Australia (like Sensch) know it is a rite of passage for kids to play stray cats like bagpipes (ie put it under your arm and pull its tail until it wails)&. what irony then that the NBL's kindred cat would repay the favor to Luke from Hope Forrest after all these years& I'm not saying Luke did it, but I'm not saying he didn't.

Rumor has it that the Gold Coast Blaze stink so badly this season that they, at one stage, they toyed with the idea of signing NBA Live featured hip-hop artist JUST BLAZE for gimmick value. That and he would be great entertainment beatboxing at time-outs over the PA. Two for the price of one!!.... He was to have replaced NBA Live 2004 alumni JOACHIM HAWKINS, much like you can replace Hawkins with BUSTA RHYMES in the actual NBA Live. This was, of course, just before they found gold nugget LUKE WHITEHEAD. If the Coast had gone through with signing Just Blaze, they would have had their second gimmick signing to go along with SHANE HEAL, aka the human troll doll.

Just on troll dolls, the NBA has all star bobble head doll merchandise right? Well, how come nobody has ever thought of having NBL troll dolls complete with official NBL uniforms and Swiss crafted player faces?? I can think of two or three players off the top of my head who would lend themselves flawlessly to NBL troll doll action figures. Let's start off with, SHANE HEAL and of course former Singapore Slingers former import MIKE HELMS and Son of a Gun CJ BRUTON, SOLID GOLD!!!

Helms 23 by the way should have been considered by the Sixers to replace Jules Hodge. Instead we went for his partner in crime at the Slingers ROD GRIZZARD. DARREN NG left the Sixers at the beginning of the year to go to Singapore so & as they said once in some movies "It's a small world after all&"

Fro man Helms has a dope MySpace page by the way, I'm not joking!, add him as a friend today if you want to see what he's been up to!! Bling bling money aint a thing baby myspace.com/mhelms23

Apparently, the impressively large number of Korean Wollongong Hawks fans say of coach ERIC COOKS "What about the GRILL ON BIG DOG COOKS!!, I wonder if he COOKS DOG BIG ON GRILL"& its an oxymoron fellas, who doesn't like Chinese food?.

And no, there is no truth to the rumor that the Gold Coast are so inept at signing players that they are on the verge of boning their sole player scout, who is a 23 year old nerd so obsessed with his PlayStaion that the only place he looks for import prospects is while playing dynasty mode on his mid-nineties editions of NBA Live.

CONNOR HENRY is heaps worried that his player may poop down their legs against Sydney in an upcoming game. What he is really trying to say is that he wants a run and gun style game, not a runny bum style game. His first quote was just a case of verbal diarrhea.

Wow I got to the end of this and I didn't have to resort to jokes about Breakers players and Sheep, or PERO CAMERON and Big Macs.

But seriously, I could go on all day

Well that is it for now,
Keep lovin the sport of basketball and the NBL.
Andy OG

Topic #18747 | Report this topic

STAT  
Years ago

DD, is that you?

Reply #221776 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

If that is DD it would have taken him a few days to produce some almost coherent points

Reply #221801 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, I have asked DD to no longer grace us with his presence.

Reply #221803 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Woo! Give yourself a ball Isaac!

Pretty random blatherings there, AndyOG. As a somewhat token attempt at replying, I disagree with you that karma is real, but I must say that I'd love to see the DHD reaction to a Smyth-coached Sydney Kings team, featuring Julius Hodge! Maybe they could also sign Larry Abney, Shane Heal, and coax Bradtke and Damon Lowery out of retirement.

Reply #221809 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interesting point.

What would be the most despised team in the NBL?

Reply #221814 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

ie. team made up of players/coaches not at the same club at the moment

Reply #221815 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Well, I guess "most-despised team" is relative, depending on where you're from - one man's villain is another man's hero.

As far as the Sixers POV goes, I would offer this starting five off the top of my head:

Heal
Lowery
Fisher
Rogers
Bradtke

Coaching staff: Goorj, Joyce, Palmer

Reply #221820 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Hmm... I guess you probably have to include Hodge now, don't you! Whoops.

Reply #221823 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Simon Kerle
Mick Hill
Grant Kruger

There are a couple of benchies for the team

Reply #221827 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mine, using players/coaches from this season, would be:

Coach: Joyce (assisted by Watkins and Henry)

Heal/Joyce (BJ Carter if he was playing!)
Black/Dann
Redhage/Hodge
Worthington/Abney
Anstey/Crosswhite

That'd be an All Star team (of starters at least) too. And only Heal really bugs me - the rest are just a bit annoying in one way or another.

Reply #221828 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

AndyOG, why would you even make jokes about animal cruelty and link Big Luke to them? Grow the hell up. And I don't know what part of "rural" Adelaide you grew up in, but what's wrong with you? Nobody does that stuff to cats, thats just wrong mate.

Reply #221840 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

myspace is so 2007

Reply #221846 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Now you're talking! I could settle every basketball related grudge that's kept me up at night for the better part of a quarter of a century.

Greatest Sixers of All Time vs. Greatest Villains of All Time.

Coach: Ken Cole assisted by Scott Ninnis.

Sixers

PG - Rob Rose
SG - Brett Maher
SF - Adam Ballinger
PF - Mark Davis
C - Luke Schenscher

Bench

Mike McKay
Al Green
Darnell Mee
Kevin Brooks
Wiley Farley

Villains

Coach: Mike Dunlap, assisted by Brendan Joyce.

PG - Damon Lowery
SG - Shane Heal
SF - Julius Hodge
PF - Mark Bradtke
C - Chris Anstey

Bench

Larry Abney
Simon Kerle
Grant Kruger
Joe Ingles :p
Adonis Jordan

I feel so much better with that off my chest.

Reply #221859 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

And the referees?

Reply #221861 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Excellent question.

Haines has to win the number one spot. He makes Alicia Silverstone's character in Clueless seem like the Mentalist (p.s is that the stupidest name EVER for a show, or what?).

Caroline Whateverhernameisnow gets the two spot, whistle at the ready in case Darnell breathes.

Tempted to give the "Two techs - ejection - one tech - one quarter ban" clown from the Taipans games the final jersey.

A late run has been made by the guy that high fived Kirk Penney though.

Reply #221863 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I can't believe I forgot Simon Kerle! I also hold a "special" place in my heart for Carter, ever since his patronising head-rub of Davidson.

Why coach Dunlap, Loco? Because he walked out on us?

Referees - Butler would definitely make my starting triplet. After that, everything sort of blurs into a giant fog of generalised rage.

Reply #221864 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Lol re. Gillespie and Darnell. He used to give her the dirtiest looks I've ever seen a human give, after a phantom foul call.

Reply #221866 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Ah hereschenes - if you still worked here, I'd march on over to your desk, power point presentation and light-pro at the ready to communicate, in excruciating and finite detail, my feelings re: Dunlap.

I still have Boti's "It's Time to Cut the Rose" article in a scrap book somewhere that sent me over the edge. It's the only thing that fires me up more than my oft discussed "Jo-Jo's Travesty in Perth" episode.

* shakes fist * Wildcats - you're on the list.

Put simply, Blakemore re-arranges Cat's face. NBL get all narcy. Dunlap bends over (forwards) and disciplines his own player by not putting him on a plane to the next game in WA with the team.

Rose (who's singlets still adorn my wall, mind you) leads a mini player revolt of sorts, saying "The Sixers stay together as a team. We all go". Dunlap spits, Rose gets cut. Little Loco is devastated and barracks for Canberra for a season, where Rose is playing with Darnell and one or two other ex-Sixers.

About to read about it in "Mahervellous" after my Dad finished it first and delighted in opening painful wounds.

* shakes fist * Dunlap - you're on the list.

P.S I still stare at anyone named 'Caroline' like that on Darnell's behalf.

* shakes fist * Carolines - you're all on the list.

Reply #221876 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

P.P.S Never mention Butler in my presence :p

* adds to list *

Reply #221877 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

My 2 referees would be Micheal Butler he made some shockers and I lost my voice over him many times though now would be rated a good ref. with current lot.
Always found it frustrating to play a Melb. team with Bill Mildenhall refeering espec.in finals over there as I felt very biased.
They are all mainly bad this year so cant bag anyone in particular.
Though one of the young ones on Sat night was diabolical.
Shane Heal and Simon Kerle along with Anstey are standouts .
Sorry I loved watching Palmer going off his tree.
But the Goorg with all the shit comes out of his mouth and his strut even though not coaching Kings will always be his team I like to win the best

Reply #221879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754