DJRod
Years ago

Aust Baptist BBall Tournament

It is on in Townsville right now and there is a huge contingent of SA boys here.

Does anyone know about the tournament for starters because when i got asked to play I had never heard of it before. Its actually in the 39th year!

And does anyone know anyone playing?

I am in the Qld A-Res team...

Topic #18750 | Report this topic

hereschenes  
Years ago

I'm sure you'll find Nathan Strempel playing for SA... and I'm sure I'd know some of the other SA folks, no one from this forum, at least that I know of. I've never been able to get time off to go to it, but from all reports it's very enjoyable. They hold it in a different state every year.

Reply #221808 | Report this post

phantom  
Years ago

The A grade team consist's of:
Paul Smith (South)
Tom McKenzie (South)
Shane Boal (Southern)
Dave Bowley (Sturt)
Jeremy Reed (South)
Brad Burgan (Forestville)
Luke Frost (South)
Coached by Nate Stemple

Reply #221824 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

the a grade team got beaten by the qld team on opening night... my a-res team got beaten by one of the SA team first up and we are playing the other tonight.

The team we play tonight has Stremple.

I am about 15th in scoring.

oh by the way - i'm not a baptist, basketball is my religion.

Reply #221834 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I played in these for about 6 or 7 years in the late 90's to early 2000's, always a great week away and a great way to see the country, had trips to Perth, Melbourne, Launcenston and Adelaide (the Adelaide trip wasn't far, just down to Athol Park for 1995 and MARS in 1999).

When I last played 7 years ago games were always played in a good sprit and were of a pretty good standard, A Grade was probably somewhere between ABA and reserves while my B Grade team was mainly div 3 / 4 district players, although we did take out the title pretty comfortably and were probably a cut above other state's B squads.

A couple of the guys that helped set up the SA Church district club Jon Dyer and Matt Howath were A grade stalwarts for years.

Reply #222099 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

the good spirit is out of this tournament!!!

especially from your SA boys!!!!!!!!

Reply #222101 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

great to hear the tourney is still alive and kicking, might have to make a return as a savy veteren one of these years!

Reply #222109 | Report this post

Clive  
Years ago

I heard any spirit left in the tournament went out the door when QLD A Men introduced a ringer. DJRod, you seem close, care to explain?

Reply #222237 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Pretty sure SA guys led the way with spirit. Get off the crack Rod

Reply #222429 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

A-Res men had Chris Cedar - i assume that is the 'ringer' you are talking about...

SA cracked a sad because his team beat them and got to the final.

Reply #222435 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

No because he didn't play any games till the big match against SA then later in day he starts for A Men. Which player are you anyways?

Reply #222453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ah well.. u lost the final anyway to SA.. so much for the ringer? how much help was he? lol

Reply #223209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754