quasi
Years ago

36ers rotations/subbing

It seems at the moment that Ninnis is trying to run the guys like a junior team - everyone gets a turn and equal minutes. Surely Maher (fitness pending), Ballinger and Schenscher should be playing maximum minutes with the others being played on a performance basis. Bruce and Hill are hit and miss on a game to game basis, Grizzard needs to settle in and Holmes' offence is on holidays at the moment! Cooper generally wastes his 15 odd minutes a match (granted, he prob had a season high of 8 points tonight) whilst Winitana can't seem to get a look in until the last quarter. It seems to me that the balance of the team (particularly offensively) is off due to the frequency of substitutions as well as multiple player subs at the same time. It's very rare that the same combination of players are on court for more than a minute or two at a time!

Topic #18776 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sounds like a dummy spit to me.

16 mins to Coops is about 17 mins too much IMO

Reply #222395 | Report this post

Ninni has to play big Schench. He is by far the stand out player on the team and the game plan changes on a week to week basis. One week he has 24 shots and the next he has 10. Suprise when he has 24 they win. Still liking Bruce and the way he distributes the ball. Probably should have a couple of half court sets for him to shoot. I still remember what he did at College.

Reply #222408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line is everything should start with Maher, Schensh working off each other. You need a scoring threat running the point. UCLA cuts with Maher Schensh, High on balls - wing on balls. shake their D up early and it'll open up for Balls and the ever reliable roley Holmes.

Reply #222411 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think Ninnis should reward Brad Hill on his good recent form and start him instead of Bruce or Holmes, maybe Davidson, he was one of the leading scorers tonight and would bring experience and a strong start to the game, could also start and they could go with a line up, or maher could start the PG for that same reason

PG Davidson or Maher
SG Hill
SF Grizzard
PF Ballinger
C Schenscher

I think Hill has earnt it, and it may slow Bruce down a cog and also reduce his pressure which could be a good thing, i would still play both Bruce and Holmes around 25-30 mins off the bench, as they are vital pieces for our future and good contributers now, i just think Hill has played better recently and deserves a chance to start.
Basically the rotation should be the 5 i mentioned above with Maher sharing the SG position with Hill, Bruce backing up Davidson, Holmes backing up Grizzard and Ballinger and Schenscher, basically leaving Cooper and Winitana out, i think we need a solid 8 man rotation to get guys good consistant court time

Reply #222414 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

36ers potenetially great, you still remember he did nothing at college? Seriously the guy has gone down in performance every year and continues to. From potential Australian top 10 to struggling. Still people will still give him pats on the back.

Reply #222416 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

Having not seeing either game really means we cant give a real valued opinion .Only doing so on what seen rest of season. But hell something has to be done. Maybe some of this messed up structure might come back to letting Hodge do his thing . Which if so Scotty still must wear some of the blame.
Havent agreed much with King james but I do re Bruce He is too all over the place and the 1 time we started Davo it worked with Bruce getting good points.
We just need to get a structure this will also help The Grizz to settle in and get some real scoring .
Re defence not too many answers up to the coaches to fix. With Davo and Brett taking a lot of Bruce time will help. Till we get system right keep the rotations down and sorry dont agree with some other posters Winitiano would get splinters unless had a 2-3 min defensive role for him in a game.

Reply #222420 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Maher's minutes are limited by doctor's orders.

Reply #222421 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maher was playing back-to-back, so limiting his minutes is fair, surely?

Reply #222424 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

It's fair, but at this stage of the season there's a possibility we won't make finals due to inconsistency. It's a hard choice but do you use him now to ensure we make finals and risk injury or do you hold him back for finals that we may not make without him?

Reply #222431 | Report this post

Hood 85  
Years ago

King James, he helped take Georgia Tech into the final 4. He also was apart of that team that went into Duke and ended the Bluedevils ridiculous home game winning streak 50 games was it??

Luke can play, and this fan base will miss him big time when he gets rewarded via the Euro leagues next season for dominating even through the horrible games for the 6ers. This season was always going to be a 'interview process' for further work for this guy, he had to prove to the basketball world his knee was good to go, and it is! Still remember how we lost to the Tigers by 28, yet Luke managed 25 and 10 on Anstey (NBL's version of gods gift). You wont win any debates about Lukes abilities, he gets its done.

Reply #222439 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Hood 85, I was talking about Bruce. I got no criticism of Schenscher the guy is absolutely brilliant and hopefully he doesn't leave us next season!

Reply #222440 | Report this post

Hood 85  
Years ago

Completely and utterly apologise, and agree about Bruce for that matter haha

Reply #222441 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

Start with Davidson and Maher in the backcourt, this will give the team some stability and consistancy.Bruce is all over the shop so bring him off the bench.Keep pumping the ball into the bigs, especially Luke as no one can stop him in the paint.
Stop rotating the players by the clock coach.Those who are playing well should be kept on and not subbed out just because of the time clock.
Are we playing to win or just out to play.

Reply #222442 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Noone seems to complain when we had 7 players in dble figures. Strange how 2 loss's and suddenly what youve been praising becomes your biggest complaint huh....

Reply #222444 | Report this post

Hood 85  
Years ago

The Wollongong game was a blow out, people got in double figures because guys like Luke and holmes had the luxury of sitting out the entire 4th quarter. Just like the 6ers blowing a team out, that was a one off. As a general rule, less subs need to be made, and the bigs need to play until they call their own sub!

Reply #222445 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think as a general rule they need to have atleast 2 out of Grzzard, Ballinger and Schenscher on the court at all times and all 3 of them as much as possible and atleast one of maher and davidson on the court to provide leadership and stability and possibly to give the team a strong steady start those 5 should be starting, how ever i still wouldnt mind seeing brad hill given a starting 5 shot or keeping Holmes in there so we have some young blood in the 1st 5, but yea given the time of season maybe we should go to the old heads of Maher and Davidson in the back court, would hate to be left wondering at the end of the season if only we played maher and davidson more...

Reply #222447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Th radio was commenting on how tall we were compared to Townsville

Reply #222448 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

That is a good point Jonno about having at least 2 of those players on at all time!

Reply #222450 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree Skud - tide of opinion turns so quickly.

When we had seven in double figures, it wasn't because Luke and Jake were sitting. From memory, Bruce scored early, Ballinger will always get his, Maher too, Davidson had that crucial run of baskets, etc.

Crocs burnt NZ from outside too. 18/41 3P last night. Intensity/defense looks to have been the problem that may have led to them getting so many outside looks?

Reply #222452 | Report this post

Stats Machine  
Years ago

I've thought this all season long..Bruce is getting way, way more minutes than he is ready for. I think he will be a very good NBL player in the future, but the guy should be starting on the bench and getting 15-20 minutes a game.

Ninnis doesn't seem to know that Bruce isn't there yet. He isn't.

Reply #222465 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd like to see Davidson get some more minutes even if injuries occurred with him more this year.

Bruce receives too many minutes and needs it reduced to give Davidson more of a run.

I'm always open to bringing back Darren Ng.

Reply #222466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There wasn't much of an option at the start of the season when Davidson was injured. And Ng isn't going to solve a problem at the point.

Could be that from trainings and game situations, Ninnis believes Bruce to be the best option available.

Reply #222469 | Report this post

believing and reality are 2 different things
the proof is in the eating of the pudding
fact we lost

Reply #222470 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's not to say that they would've done better running Davidson for more instead. Just trying to suggest why Ninnis might be persisting with Bruce as first option.

Reply #222475 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

It's probably worth checking game time for the people being suggested for more minutes - Schenscher, Ballinger, Maher and Holmes. I'm pretty sure the first 3 were averaging 35-40 minutes a game between games 10-20 or so. Maher is not able to play at that intensity any more (and there is a duty of care involved when you coach injury prone players). All except Holmes were limited by injuries at various points early in the season (I'm including Schenscher having to be eased back into his playing role after so much time away). Oncve those injuries were sorted out, they were on the court for 35+ minutes a game. Holmes' time only dropped when Hodge joined the team.

If these recollections above are right, then I think the coach clearly is prepared to run these players for as many minutes as are needed and has shown that. In that case, I would think the lower minutes probably reflect what was happening (or not happening) in the game. I note that Gleeson was praising both Ellis' and Hinder's games a lot (the latter in respoect of his efforts against Schenscher, specifically), which suggests to me that the box scores aren't giving the full flavour of the unfolding of the game.

Reply #222504 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

I think considering rotations is fine but taipans are not slouches- any team that beats wildcats in perth after travelling oz diagonally is capable on any night. And Crocs having a big night in terms of shooting is going to trouble any team. I think the issue is D and that is where the rotations may be an issue. Who would you put on court if you wanted to put on your best defensive line up for a patch????

Davidson
Mahersy
Winitana
holmes
cooper

For me if i was going purely defensive at a particular stage of a game thats the line up i would consider- although Schensch for intimidation could easily replace Coops. Havent seen enough of Grizz to evaluate his D. Might not want to wear Mahersy down by using him up on an Extreme D Phase but his court awareness is such a strength. Bruce is high in steals- so is another option. If you need to shut down a team and assert some control over a game you take care of the D and resolve some of the issues sixers are facing IMO.
There used to be stats available about various line ups and how they performed defensively/offensively. Is that still available??

Reply #222552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not to the public, I don't think.

Reply #222557 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

What about to the media?

Isaac, is it available to you?

; )

Reply #222565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure. Never asked.

Reply #222568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the last few games Davidson has proven that he is deserving of a starting 5 spot.

Ninnis needs to mix it up for at least the next game as the original starting 5 and minutes that say Bruce is getting - just isn't working.

Reply #222615 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree that starting Davidson could be considered, but on the other hand:

- it's not that "Bruce just isn't working", because he is, just perhaps not consistently (some good games within his game-by-game list)
- would that be a hit to his confidence?

Will be interesting to see if Ninnis tries it.

Reply #222619 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754