Run TMC
Years ago

Can Orlando win it all?

I've always thought the Magic would struggle to get past the Eastern conference semi finals but at the moment they have the second best record in the league. And I'm not sure if this would have been done too often - they just beat the best three teams in the West (Lakers, Spurs and Nuggets - based on win %) ON THE ROAD!

Can the Magic surprise everyone and win it all this year.

First they have to get past Boston or Cleveland and they play them both at home in the next few days (Boston on Friday and Cleveland next Friday). If they can win those two then would they be favourites!?

Topic #18784 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Absolutely.

Two things that go against them- Howard must hit free throws and traditionally 3pt shooting teams can struggle in the play-offs.

The finals are intense and teams hussle more than ever to close out on shooters. That means the great looks the Magic guys are getting right now will be tougher in the finals.

Reply #222519 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Or quite the opposite, they have so many outside weapons who do you close out on and who do you gamble on.
Playoffs seem to see more close outs and a higher level intensity but there are always those few players who teams gamble on, who would you gamble on against the Magic?

I don't think they can win it all, but they will make some noise.

Reply #222525 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

They could possibly win it if Howard absolutely dominates in the Playoffs.

However, what I think will happen is they just wont have enough depth off the bench.

They have Battie, Johnson, Bogans and Redick. None of those guys can really do much offensively or defensively. In the playoffs benches become a big part of it as they provide the extra spark. Orlando just don't have it.

Reply #222526 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I would tend to favour Cleveland or Boston over Orlando. I don't think that the Magic are truly play-off tested just yet. The Cavs have been to the Finals, and have a few years now of tough play-off series.

Can Orlando beat Boston/Cleveland 4 times in a series?

Will Orlando be the old Phoenix Suns for the next 4-5 years - 60+ regular season wins - high scoring, exciting to watch, but no confernece finals?

Cleveland and Boston both play pretty good defence, and 3 point shooting teams can go cold in the playoffs. But it makes this season very interesting with 3 East teams dominating.

Reply #222540 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm a massive magic fan but I still don't think they have the depth to win a championship, hopefully they might get one in my lifetime lol. Lebron and tha Cavs will be hard to stop this year and if Boston get on another streak round playoff time they may go back 2 back.

Reply #222542 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Hopefully they get into the conference semi's or conference finals.....Then I'll be there!!!!!

Reply #222567 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

It should be pointed out that the Cavs are top two in both offensive and defensive efficiency...

But the health of the big Z is paramount to them winning it all.

Reply #222572 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Quagmire I have to respectfully disagree! I don't think Howard's free throw shooting well will make a big difference. Recently alone, Shaq has won rings, Duncan has won rings, Detroit did it with Ben Wallace etc.

I do agree with shin splints re the playoff tested theory. I think in all sports (with exceptions, of course), teams need to be around the mark for a year or two before winning it all. ie the Power, Lions and the Cats in the AFL. Maybe the NBA is an exception, however, as the Spurs, Lakers and Celtics all did it fairly early, but then again they had Duncan/Robinson, Shaq/Kobe and Garnett/Pierce/Allen respectively for the first banner. All of those players (except maybe Duncan and Kobe, who are both exceptionally gifted) were playoff tested.

Who on the Magic team is playoff tested over a couple of seasons? Not many. If they stay together and add one or two more pieces, I think they could in 09!

Reply #222621 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I can't see them getting past Cleveland this year or the next. The they have two problems. One Lewis and Turkoglu or getting on and who knows where Wade, LeBron and Bosh will be.

Reply #222626 | Report this post

Years ago

Lewis and Turkoglu are "getting on"? They're both still 29, and are in the absolute prime of their careers. The next year or two is as good a time as any for a deep Magic run in the playoffs.

I think another quality big man would really help the Magic, however I don't think they could get one without disrupting what they alread have (that is quite successful as it is). Mickael Pietrus (although a valuebale scorer and defender) or JJ Reddick (who is reportedly not happy with his constant lack of playing time since day one in Orlando) could prove expendable, I don't know. Marcin Gortat provides some good play off the bench, so maybe they'll just keep grooming him as their 2nd young big man.

Reply #222743 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754