COOPZ
Years ago

Donations for Brett wheeler tomorrow

In a media release sent out by the club, the 36ers will be asking for donations at tomorrow nights game to help assist Brett wheeler's battle with a liver disease.

i hope everyone can dig deep for one of the clubs favourite sons, and a great person to boot.

see below:

The Adelaide 36ers are throwing their support behind former player, Brett Wheeler, as he battles a disease that is attacking his liver.

Wheeler, who played 187 games for the 36ers from 1991  97 & 2006/07, has been diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis which is a disease that affects the bile ducts within and outside the liver. He is believed to have had this disease for approximately 10 years but it wasn't identified accurately until recently. There is no cure and the only treatment is for Wheeler to have a liver transplant which he is in the process of being placed on the transplant list. Generally, the median period of survival without liver transplantation from the time of diagnosis is 9  11 years.

The 36ers will have collectors throughout the stadium at tomorrow night's game at the Distinctive Homes Dome against the Gold Coast Blaze collecting donations to assist Brett with his growing medical expenses. The Club will also be auctioning off a 2008/09 official singlet with Wheeler's "no. 13" on it which he wore for his entire career via the 36ers website. The playing group have got the ball rolling by donating $1,000 to Brett and are hoping to raise more funds in the coming days.

Topic #18800 | Report this topic

Skud  
Years ago

Any Idea of the locations of donation box's?
Bretts a great guy, and noone deserves this disease. Goodluck to him!

Reply #222729 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Doesn't sound good. Let's hope it all works out well

Reply #222730 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

all the best to him, will open the wallet at the game.

Reply #222733 | Report this post

Mel  
Years ago

Prior to the game and at half-time player partners and other volunteers will be circulating the stadium with collection tins. Alternatively you can make a donation by contacting the club.

If you have met Brett Wheeler before you will know that he is an exceptional guy. He will be truly appreciative of any donations that are made.

Reply #222736 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I hope we can get receipts for this to claim on tax later in the year.

But no doubt a good cause and something you would not wish on anyone.

Reply #222737 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Are you an accountant Champ33?

Reply #222740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And how much will the club be donating?

Seeing as he played foe Sixers for a few years I would expect the owners to be digging deep...

Reply #222744 | Report this post

I saw Brett play Div 4? or 3 U18s (!!!) at Noarlunga. Not only is he a hell of a nice guy, but a great artist too, as the Wierreanda boys can attest.

All the best Brett!

Reply #222748 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Jack Toft!

No I am not an accoutant. I just believe in claiming everything you can and that our country has too many taxes.

Reply #222751 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Champ33,
Ditto!
You wouldn't mind paying taxes if they spent the money wisely. Unfortunately, how many governments do?

Reply #222757 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

I will get clarification about the claiming ability of it but think that because it is not going to a registered charity but a fund raising it is not deductible.

What you do get though is the feel good experience of helping out not only a great basketballer but a great guy too.

Also up for grabs will be corporate seats to Brett Maher's last game.

Reply #222761 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

It doesn't say if the singlet is signed, it could possibly encourage a few more bids if it were...in any case, I'll certainly have a crack at it.

Reply #222768 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I believe that the Dragons will be doing something similar at their next home game, ironically against the 6ers. Unfortunately, due to tennis, it's not until Feb 4th.

Brett was also a much loved member of the Titans for a while. Fantastic person.

As far as personality goes, one of the all time greats.

Practical joker too. Goorj used to give him so much grief about the state of his car. Nagging him to clean out the crap constantly. So one day he did....straight into Goorj's car. :-)

Reply #222769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tigers did the same thing for Wheeler a little while ago (I think it might have been against Adelaide) and the club contributed money as well as supporters contributing. It shows how great the basketball community is at these things particularly considering Brett didn't play for the Tigers.

Reply #222770 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

It has been shown on here before but here is some of Wheels' comedy work

Reply #222772 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I had NEVER seen that......GOLD!!!!

Reply #222774 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Oh, that is a classic!

Are they for real with the 21st?

Reply #222786 | Report this post

poontang  
Years ago

dracula the singlet is signed by this years team yes......

Reply #222794 | Report this post

Leopard 11  
Years ago

The Tigers donated $20,000

http://www.damrob.com.au/gallery2/v/Basketball/NBL/NBL+2008-09/Round+15/Melbourne+Tigers+v+Adelaide+36ers+27-12-2008/Melbourne+Tigers+v+Adelaide+36ers+27-12-2008/20081227_nbl_227.jpg.html

And here is Brett himself

http://www.damrob.com.au/gallery2/v/Basketball/NBL/NBL+2008-09/Round+15/Melbourne+Tigers+v+Adelaide+36ers+27-12-2008/Melbourne+Tigers+v+Adelaide+36ers+27-12-2008/20081227_nbl_230.jpg.html

Reply #222797 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

Why has it taken the 36ers so long to do something for Wheels when the Tigers did it last year ?

And why can the Tigers fork out 20k of the clubs pocket when the 36ers expect the fans to come up with the cash ? Will the 36ers be matching the fan donations dollar for dollar ??

Reply #222800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shirley Schmidt - get over yourself, there's always one on this bloody forum.

The Tigers raised the money and presented it at the game on 27 December - so only a few weeks ago. The club put in money AND the fans.

The 36ers may actually do the same.

And the reason we're doing it tonight is because Wheels is in town currently.

Reply #222804 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

What you think that most of that 20k was raised by the 3000 odd people at a tigers game anon ?
I seriously doubt it, I reckon McPeake would have put in most of the money.

I just thought that maybe the 36ers could have tried a little harder to support a past player, especially given the fact that he was originally a local.

Why didn't they have a collection months ago when his illness was made public, then present a cheque to him at the next game that he was in town ?

I'm guessing that's how the Tigers did it because I didn't see anyone taking up a collection the night they presented him with the cheque.

Seems a bit more dignified way of doing it, rather than have the poor guy standing on court while people are running around trying to collect money making hime feel like some sort of charity case.

Are the 36ers planning on giving him several thousand dollars in loose change ? Get real Anon, 36ers management is a joke.

Reply #222811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a great contribution by the Tigers, especially considering he never played for them.

Reply #222827 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

It's a free country, but surely there's a time and place to bash Sixer's management. I'd suggest this thread isn't it.

I'll keep an eye out for collectors tonight. Hope we manage to raise plenty of dosh for a genuinely nice guy and ex-player.

Reply #222831 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

How bout we kick off a Hoops SA forum contribution for him . If this was to occur i would be happy to get the ball rolling . I know online talk may not be so dignified when talking amounts but maybe a simple confirmation and payment details to isaac could be sorted . That way any sixers bashers can redeem themselves and help a worthy warrior in need .

Reply #222832 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I made a donation tonight and still disappointed that we can not have receipts to claim it back on tax later this year.

Hopefully the Accountants are kind and give the deduction anyway.

Reply #222889 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Any claim under $82.50 does not need a tax invoice to be a deduction.

Find a bus ticket, right down you donation.

No, don't do that.
Get a petty cash book, do it that way. Claim the deduction.

Reply #222905 | Report this post

Bradfan  
Years ago

I was also at Tigers game where Tigers presented Wheels with a great big cheque. They said the money was mostly raised at the club's Dinner dance / Auction Night. Players apparently do a review each year but, instead of doing an act, McKinnon, Anstey and Barlow got together, spoke about Wheeler and asked everyone there to dig deep - heaps was raised! McKinnon & Anstey have known Wheels for many years, and Barlow played with him at the Kings. Yeah, McPeake put a bit in at the game, but supporters and sponsors made up the bulk of the $20K.
If all 10 clubs could do something like the Tigers and 36ers have done, it would be a great example of the basketball community working together for one of the most respected NBL players.

(Mod: Informative. Thanks.)

Reply #222921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you didn't get a chance to donate at the game, you can contact Cheryl at the club (8444 6444) to organise a way to pay.

Reply #222929 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

To bid on the signed #13 singlet, the Print and the 8 Corporate tickets to possibly Brett Maher's last home game go here.

http://linky.com.au/w2d5w

Reply #222932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read in the paper today that Sixers players donated $1,000 - lets hope the fans contributed a lot or it's going to look pretty embarassing next to the Tigers contribution.

Reply #222956 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Approximately $1,300 from players to date, $3,700 from fans at the game via the tins. Auction in progress but was at around $400 last I heard.

Reply #222996 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

$410 now :)

Quick question...does the singlet have Julius Hodges signature? :)

Reply #223059 | Report this post

fiona  
Years ago

hello brett, this si from adelaide lve dad norman we have miss see brett please send email and your best mate say hello gavin and gabby to

Reply #224124 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754