Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Evans used newspaper to prop up Spirit

Followup to the Greg Evans/Spirit implosion late last year:

Western Sydney newspaper The Western Weekender has fallen into receivership amid suggestions its owner, Greg Evans, has disappeared and used funds to prop up Sydney's only remaining National Basketball League team.

Full story

Topic #18824 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

It is understood the paper makes about $3 million a year.
Not bad for a circulation of 55,000 and limited distribution in an era of declining newspaper profits.

Reply #223046 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Declining Newspaper profits are affecting "Daily' and national papers more so than the smaller local-community based ones.

This is due mostly to the internet providing alternatives to the "rivers of gold" classified advertising. Many of the smaller local papers are still seeing readership and revenue increases as the internet does not offer the "local" contact that the community papers offer.

the story says no interest from News or Fairfax...
very surprising, i would expect to see one of those players pick the paper and shake the $$ out of it then merge it with their exisiting publications in the area.

A question i have not asked recently...do the 36ers make money?

Reply #223050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not according to Mal they don't.

Reply #223072 | Report this post

Bang the Drum  
Years ago

Aaah Sydney... You gotta love em. They live up there in the big smoke, all smug and stuff, but cant even support 1 NBL team.

Seems that their collective attention span is that of a 2 year old.

Nice place to visit, but......

Reply #223130 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754