Anonymous
Years ago

NH: iPods - Ridiculous Data Sizes

Whats the deal with the Ipod Classic? It's one of the best ipods but the only available size is 120 GB! I want a classic but that is a stupid amount of data to have and it means you have to pay $330 odd bucks for it. They used to make a 30 GB and 60 GB but they seem to be long gone. Why on earth would apple take on this "one massive size (and price) will suit everybody" mentality?

Topic #18825 | Report this topic

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

coz they want you to buy the 8 and 16gb touch screen ones...and nano's...

Reply #223065 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Exactly, if you want a 30 gig ipod get an itouch (or an iphone), they're way better than the classic anyway.

Reply #223067 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

ipods are only as good as the rockbox on them......
the only problem with 120GB is they are non compatable with rockbox...

Reply #223070 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

What's rockbox?

I'm getting a new Classic soon, my old 30G's just about full. I think they're much better value than the iPhone.

Reply #223074 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

I got a 80G Classic for the xmas before the last from the iPod website. Don't they sell the 80G any more?

Reply #223078 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

rockbox is a hack that you load onto your compatable ipod and play any audio file you want instead of what apple allows you to do.

www.rockbox.org

Reply #223081 | Report this post

The Admiral  
Years ago

I have a 160gb classic and think it's perfect size.

have a 1gb for exercise.

Reply #223088 | Report this post

Years ago

I just got a 130GB Classic, and chose that instead of an 8GB touch. I think the touch is an unneccessary gimmick, and my collection is about 30GB anyway (and rapidly growing), so I need the extra space.

Just convert the files on iTunes and you don't need this Rockbox stuff. It's not that difficult, and who really has mass amounts of files not in mp3 format anyway?

Reply #223100 | Report this post

Years ago

Sorry, my Classic is actually 120GB, but you can only use 111GB of it. I don't know why many iPods are like that, ripping you off extra space (I've known of others at different sizes not being able to be used to their advertised capacity). Not that I really need it right now, but still, it should be able to be used to its full advertised compliment if required.

Reply #223103 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

The difference in advertised storage and actual storage is because of the different base systems used for calculating computer storage. Computers use binary storage so one Megabyte is 1024 bytes but marketers measure a Megabyte in decimal so 1024 bytes becomes 1.024 Megabytes. Scae this up to Gigabyte sizes and the difference becomes more pronounced. Also some of that storage is used in administration tasks so the storage can manipulate data etc. Hence why a advertised 120GB drive becomes 111GB in actual use.

I think I got all that right. Well some one will correct me if it's wrong.

Reply #223120 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yep, that's right BLF, if you read the fine print disclaimers from manufacturers that sell this stuff, they always say 1gig = 1000meg = 1000kb etc, whereas your computer will always read it as 1 gig = 1024 mb due to file structure. Common in marketing for storage.

I know the 120 gig seems like a lot, but keep in mind when the 30 gig and 60 gig were selling, they were still around the same price. I bought an 80 gig for about $340 when they first came out, and now you get a 120 gig for $330 or so. so even though it seems like a lot, the prices have stayed about the same, while you get more space.

Reply #223152 | Report this post

Curious George  
Years ago

this thread reminded me about this, the ipod joke comes in about half way through

Reply #223177 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I paid $649 for my 40GB in 2004, and apart from a DIY battery change the thing is still ticking along.

Considering that that price will now get me a 32GB touch......

Reply #223220 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754