anon
Years ago

Eltham Update

Sturt under 18 boys made it to the GF playing this afternoon without big Jon Good luck fellas

Both 16 Sturt boys and girls made it thru to final 8

Again a great tournamment

Topic #18854 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

PS beleive Sturt sent 17 teams to Eltham, funny how they seem to succeed just by accident, You cant beat playing against the best, Well done Paul

Reply #223395 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

congrats also to the Sturt U12 Boys and Girls for making the GF

Reply #223396 | Report this post

Well done  
Years ago

Sturt 18's beat Werribee by 5 in the gf, after being down 7 at the half. Great win, well done to the boys. The Div 2's made it a double winning B grade at Dandenong. Of the 17 teams that went over 6 made the grand final. Great results.

Reply #223434 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

that is an awsome job....well done to the players and coaches...hard work does get you something...and a good program!!!

Reply #223457 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Funniest thing by far were the boys in the cheer squad from Canberra. Sturt had their own "rent-a-fan" they were the most vocal and loud of all. They turned up in double blue tops with white caps and zinc cream. They had come to Melbourne for the tennis but had gotten kicked out and after meeting some Sturt kids at their Motel decided that the next best thing seeing as they couldnt get back in to the tennis was to go to Dandenong Stadium and support the blues.

Reply #223465 | Report this post

What the  
Years ago

Dont you mean the Sturt/West Under 18 Boys

Reply #223489 | Report this post

Rove  
Years ago

No, they all wore a Sturt uniform apparently!

Reply #223500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - spot on, the Canberra guys were awesome!

They were definitely "Top Shelf".

Reply #223502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#489,

I too am amazed at how well Sturt went - I guess it is the significant development work which occurred over the summer break

Reply #223577 | Report this post

Mes 4 Pres  
Years ago

i think having a junior manager willing to open up the gym 3 times a week in holidays definitely helps the kids keep touch over the holiday period.

well done to mesecke & to the boys & girls for putting in the time to keep themselves in touch.

congrats to all teams who made finals.

Reply #223586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is that for the new players to meet the old players??

How did Wests U18 Div 1 boys trials go??

Reply #223604 | Report this post

Mes 4 Pres  
Years ago

was open for anyone, had kids from plenty of clubs coming in but heavily populated with sturt kids.

Reply #223619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please explain, you mean too many players at sturt? Good players leaving to get a go?

Reply #223680 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

guys get over this whole poaching and club moving thing, this thread was about the kids at eltham so lets keep it at that.

on that note, congrats to all SA teams that went over, its a pity more clubs dont go over because it really helps the development of the kids playing.

Reply #223681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There did seem to be a lot less teams from SA this year. There was a batch from Sturt, a girls team or two from North (maybe about U14s?) and a few Southern girls teams (16s/18s). I believe South sent a boys team too but didn't see them. All seemed to go okay and enjoy the weekend. I thought Norwood usually sent some teams?

Reply #223725 | Report this post

Wow  
Years ago

Wonder if West recruiting a couple of guards from outside into their senior team had anything to do with one of their juniors leaving?

Don't see much bitching about that.

Reply #223731 | Report this post

Vic Comp  
Years ago

Nothing beats playing against Victorian Competition. You get 5-6 games (sometimes more) & the vast majority of them are tough matches against good Victorina teams. Especially for div 1 teams it's great to find out where your team is at on a larger scale, and where you need to be by June.

Reply #223740 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

17 teams from Sturt is a lot more than a batch, I believe the vast majority made finals, kids improved heaps over the weekend by playing different teams and having diferent reffing.

Reply #223744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow,

If that was the case then why choose Sturt which has a plethora of good juniors coming through trying to get senior gigs.

I believe it is to improve chances of getting gigs at Australian camps and despite what all Sturt people say about a level playing field it can't hurt to be under the nose of State and SASI coaches.

Reply #223745 | Report this post

U18s  
Years ago

I am a parent of an U18 from a north-eastern club - I had heard rumours of player movement, but I didn't know how much was true. Word is there's been a fair bit of movement in the U18 boys comp.

Can anyone tell me if Sturt played any of the stronger Victorian clubs over the weekend? Or did they have an easy draw? Did their new kid play? I assume they had a full squad? Did any other SA teams from this grade go, and if so, how did they fair?

Reply #223755 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

sturt were missing there best big, John Marriot, which is a huge lose.

they played dandenong in the first game and drew aswell as alot of other quality teams.

Nathan spehr did play for sturt in the tournament.

Reply #223756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South U18 boys also went over - no idea how they went though.

Reply #223762 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

elthamtournament.com.au

For all the results...check for yourselves!

Reply #223763 | Report this post

Cat 65  
Years ago

#223745,

He has been to many Australian junior camps as a West player. It makes no difference what uniform he wears in the eyes of national selectors, its how he performs in Canberra when he is there and how he performs for SA at nationals. He would make SA teams regardless of where he played.

He probably sees greater chances of STAYING in Australian squads by being with a proven player development program.

#223745,

They drew with Dandy in their group but won the group on %. Beat Waverley in a tough quarter. Beat Diamond Valley convincingly in the semi and came back from being down at the half to beat Werribee in the final.

Reply #223775 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

also in the final they really only had 6 players, two players could not make the game because of travel arrangments home. and nathan kareta was injured in the first half.

Reply #223778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought he wasn't in the latest list to attend Australia camps but I stand corrected

Reply #223793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Sturt now get fined for breaching the BSA By Law relating to players moving to the clubs of a state coach?

I'm guessing they won't.

Reply #223806 | Report this post

kdfdhgkf  
Years ago

Think you'll find Spehr was recruited as a senior, not a junior as he was on West's senior list.

Reply #223808 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

i think before everyone blames sturt for this, ask spehr why he moved, only he will know the real answer.

Reply #223811 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

What do you think he will say- "I was poached".
It happens, not well accepted, but it is part of life.
People change jobs, chamge wives (sometimes temporarily), change cars, change teams.
Only cars dont complain, because they can't talk!!

Reply #223817 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

From what I heard it was the big bottom age lad from strath that could not be held by the vics in the tourny, got mvp in the GF who was ignored by AIS after the nationals, maybe this will change there minds, again well done

Reply #223819 | Report this post

Ostrich 74  
Years ago

Do people think that West has recruited 2 point guards into their ABA team, a team that has 6 guards already, had anything to do with the move? Or that West didn't have a div 2 mens team over summer? Or the he didn't get to play senior mens over summer when he had a Oz camp to prepare for?

Was it a case of you reep what you soe?

Reply #223833 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, probably more a case of reap what you sow.

Reply #223852 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Or RIP what you SEW!!

Reply #223854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are alot if Domestic teams that play Eltham/Dandenong need to play the Rep teams to really gauge where you are at. June will tell they real story!!!!

Reply #224670 | Report this post

Astor 52  
Years ago

They beat Dandenong, Waverly, Werribee and Diamond Valley. Other than Melbourne Togers who lost to Werribee who is there for them to beat?

Reply #224681 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nunawading?

Reply #224683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't beat Dandenong.

Reply #224709 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That kid from West has made the dumbest move ever...Probably wont matter anyway given it doesnt look like he will grow, which is a shame.

Reply #225160 | Report this post

AdultsPlease  
Years ago

Wow, this Eltham update is an eye opener for anyone new to this forum! Very little here about Sturt's great result in U18, mostly it seems like a lot of pointed remarks about a 16 year old kid.

Whatever it is, grow up, get over yourselves, and leave the kid alone - maybe even observe the rules of the forum unless you really can't help yourselves.

Shame on you Mr and Mrs Anon! If you're going to think aloud or have a rant on here - get your facts right and stick to the topic.

Well done Sturt. Great development program and good coaches - obviously attractive to good players! (and the obvious envy of the Anons of this state).

Reply #225425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it will be good to see the results at the classics. From memory this group were the national teams when Sturt won in Adelaide. May be a measure of their development/recruitment vs the teams they were able to beat 4 years ago.

Reply #225456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:27 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754