lethal5
Years ago

NBA 3 Point record

Does anybody know what the record number of 3 pointers by an individual in an NBA game is... & who holds that record?

Eddie House's performance with Boston today has me wondering. In just 20 minutes of playing time against the Kings, House nailed 8 3's from 9 attempts!

I'm sure this is probably no where near the record but it's fairly impressive shooting anyway.

I know the NBL record is 13 by Ian Davies of the Newcastle Falcons many years ago, but what about the NBA?

Topic #18891 | Report this topic

hustle  
Years ago

Pretty sure its 12 held by Kobe...

Reply #223780 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Tied with somebody else but I cant remember who, maybe Dennis Scott?

Reply #223781 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Found this:

Dennis Scott, Orl vs Atl 	11 	4/18/96
Brian Shaw, Miami at Mil 10 4/8/93
Joe Dumars, Detroit vs Min 10 11/8/94
George McCloud, Dallas vs Pho (OT) 10 12/16/95
Then this:
January 8, 2003

Kobe Bryant made an N.B.A.-record 12 shots from 3-point range -- including nine straight -- in scoring 45 points last night as the Los Angeles Lakers beat the visiting Seattle SuperSonics, 119-98.

Bryant, who had never made more than five 3-pointers in a game, broke Dennis Scott's record of 11 with 6 minutes 58 seconds left to play.

Bryant, who shot 12 of 18 from beyond the arc and 16 of 28 over all, made his first 11 3-point shots in the second and third quarters.

His nine straight 3-pointers also set an N.B.A. single-game record.

Reply #223782 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Was Kobe's 12 in his 81 point game or another game? Any idea?

Reply #223783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, he had 7/13 3P in that 81-point game.

Reply #223784 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Cool, thanks Isaac. Some awesome stats there... Brian Shaw surprises me!

Reply #223785 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

basketball-reference.com is great for this kind of thing:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg3_game.html

It shows:

1. Donyell Marshall 12 2005-03-13
Kobe Bryant 12 2003-01-07

3. Dennis Scott 11 1996-04-18

4. Peja Stojakovic 10 2007-11-06
Ray Allen 10 2002-04-14
George McCloud 10 1995-12-16
Joe Dumars 10 1994-11-08
Brian Shaw 10 1993-04-08

Reply #223786 | Report this post

Mr EM  
Years ago

Kobe is a HOG!

Reply #223787 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Thanks olskoolgamer, I thought Ray Allen would be on the list somewhere & you've confirmed that for me. He obviously was happy to play second fiddle to Eddie House today though!

I am a huge Celtics fan, but one name on the list I loved watching years ago was Dennis Scott. He had awesome range & used to work well with Shaq.

Mr Em, I'm not much of a Kobe fan either but he had a hot hand that day, so why wouldn't he keep jacking them up! 9 in a row is amazing.

Reply #223788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have that kobe game on dvd. its amazing

Reply #223789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have that kobe game on dvd. its amazing

Reply #223790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know it is not NBA but Jodie Meeks from Kentucky had 10/15 when he scored 54. I think he also has had two games where he had 8 and 9 three pointers at around 60%

Reply #223791 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Mr Em you clearly have not watched him play im guessing

if you have you would no his NO HOG!

Reply #223792 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Not anymore, anyway. That 81 point game was sickening to watch, didn't enjoy it at all.

Reply #223794 | Report this post

Why didn't you enjoy it?

Reply #223798 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

That 81 point game as an amazing thing to watch, I loved every second of it.

Reply #223799 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I don't enjoy games as much where one player is just jacking it all game.

It also kept annoying me about the poor defense, they kind of gave up on stopping him.

And also because he was 28-46 FG's. Not exactly on fire. Plus the 20 or so points from the line slowed the game a bit.

I dunno, still a great offensive display, some big shots were made, but I found the game boring, and I would have hated to be on that lakers side just watching Kobe jack. He gets 81, but so what? You don't win all season like that, you win more when he plays like he is now, 10+ assists on a regular basis, and much more fun to watch.

Reply #223802 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I have to say I'm a dedicated Kobe-watcher, IMO he's the most interesting guy in basketball: it's fascinating watching him reconcile trying to succeed in a team sport with his singular competitiveness and so forth.

Articles like this one about his video-watching are also illuminating: Kobe probably watches more preparatory game tape than any other player, but the story also has lines like:

Before games, Bryant slips in custom-made earpieces with "KB" monograms on each side. Then he turns on his DVD player and tries to find ways to take away comfort zones from opponents.

It's also a good read about how much NBA clubs use video, eg the Lakers have
two full-time staffers who use eight digital video recorders, five laptop computers and 18 DVD burners to record, edit and copy footage for Lakers coaches and players.

Reply #223805 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I was there when Kobe made those 12 3's crazy performance! I thought the record was broken though.

81pt game is the best offensive display I've seen from ANY player. In my opinion it's way better than MJ's 69pts effort while keep in mind Kobe didn't even play full game that game!

Reply #223813 | Report this post

s vidmar  
Years ago

how many did Chris Mellow make for norwood the night he broke the abl record wasnt it 17.

Reply #223816 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Wasn't MJ's in the playoffs though...extra cred there LA Boy

Reply #223820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kriss...MJ's 63 against Boston was in the playoffs, his 69 wasn't!

Reply #223824 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

C'mon guys. 7 posts without mention of Donyell Marshall? Poor effort... :P

Reply #223827 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure that Donyell Marshall has the record with 13 in a game with the Raptors a few years back. The Raptors set the record for the most 3's by a team in a game that day as well, but I believe that record was broken just a couple of wks ago, remember reading about it, but can't remember which team did it!

Reply #223832 | Report this post

surmdog  
Years ago

Donyell Marshell hit 12 3 pointers.
Orlando hit 23
3 pointers a couple off weeks ago in Sacramento

Reply #223836 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

here's a question,

who in your opinion is the best 3-point shooter in the NBA?

my take is Peja Stojokovic; he's been best in my mind since 2002...

Reply #223850 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

If you're talking having your feet set, I agree Peja is the best (bias alert: I am a big Hornets fan). I'm not sure he'd be able to hit athletic/fadeaway 3s as well as some others though.

Reply #223869 | Report this post

melmac  
Years ago

Mellow made 16/24. Kobe's got nothing comapared to him. Where is he? Get him up here I wanna boof him.

Reply #223875 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Dennis Scott gets credit for his nickname - 3D

Reply #223892 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

La Boy,

Don't know if his the best three pt shooter in the NBA as I only really follow a couple of teams but Eddie House will beat the three point record either this season or next the kid can't do much else but damn he can shoot threes.

Reply #223906 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Orlando broke the record by making 23 three-point field goals against the Kings on January 13, 2009.

The Magic had 9 different players hit at least one 3 and they shot 13-19 in the first half and went 10-18 in the second half.

Reply #223914 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

olskoolgamer,

You say 28-46 FG isn't exactly on fire.

What if a player scored 40 points on 14-23 shooting?Would you think that was worth putting up 23 shots for? Its over 60%. If I read that a guy scored 40 points, I check the boxscore and saw those shooting stats, I'd think it was a quality performance. Throw in a 2nd half comeback and I think its all good.

Also don't forget that the Raptors were all over the Lakers in the first half. It was Kobe's ridiculous onslaught that spurred his team to victory and demoralised the opponent.

I agree with you, seeing your team play 48 minutes of exceptional team basketball to defeat a tough team is more fun to watch. But damn if Kobe's 81 points wasn't one of the most amazing things I've seen on a basketball court. Individual brilliance is a big part of what I love about basketball.

Reply #223923 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

hereschenes- yeh I'm talking about pure 3's I know exactly what you're saying with fadeaways etc. it'd probably be Ray Allen in that case

Reply #223958 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

Michael Redd is also a awesome streak three shooter

Reply #223982 | Report this post

jr1  
Years ago

but now #2 is J.R Smith with 11 3pm while against Kings in april 5

Reply #232062 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Michael Redd is the best pie-thrower in the NBA for sure ;)

Reply #232071 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:30 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754