me
Years ago

Worth going to the GONG?

Hey there..going to be in Sydney when the 36ers play against the Hawks.

Questions are...
How far is Wollongong from Sydney?
Is it worth going to see the game?
Whats the court/stadium like?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Topic #18896 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

The Gong is an alright stadium, but be wary about supporting the boys to hard. They fight in packs in the Gong. It's awlays worth going to and usually a pretty good game. The last time I went was when Copeland had his brain explosion.

The are quite a few good resturants within 10 mins walk to the stadium...

Reply #223840 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Made the trip several times. 1 hour down the freeway, easy drive, terrific stadium and set up, well worth the trip. The natives are parochial but that's the way you want it. A memorable occasion or two - definitely worth the hassle.

Sure beat sitting around with the inlaws in Sydney .....

Reply #223846 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Despite being an industrial town, it is a pretty nice place. There are some nice restaurants and well worth the trip.

Don't dawdle around the Coke Ovens unless you like inhaling nasties.

Reply #223858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's definitely worth going, especially cause there won't be a team in the gong next year so it's your last chance!

Reply #223863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know if I'd be putting money on no team in the Gong. The community rallied pretty hard to keep the team afloat when it looked like they were going to go belly up.
I'm sure there's a couple Queensland teams that wish they had that sort of community support.

Reply #223866 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Haven't been to a game there, but Wollongong itself is a beautiful place. You can catch the train there from Central station, only takes about an hour. Worth visiting whether or not you go to the game IMO! I think of it almost like a giant, stretched-out Victor Harbor - it has a sort of seaside-holiday feel to it.

Reply #223867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, and that barely kept it running and left the owners begrudgingly keeping it alive. Not convinced they'll be able to keep it afloat again when even more money will be required.

Reply #223871 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Being born and bred in Wollongong I recommend you attend the "Brewery" post game. Its a bar attached to the ocean side of the Entertainment Centre. Alternatively jump in a cab for a quick 5min ride to the North Gong Hotel. Had many a loose night there and possibly lost my virginity in the neighbouring creek with the girl that served spring rolls in the cafe.... but thats another story.

Reply #223890 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So Woody,
is that how you got your nickname?

Reply #223894 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

You took the words right out of my mouth Isaac!

Reply #223899 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Thanks Folks...you have encouraged me... if i can escape the clutches of work and family we shall head to the gong.

Bit concerned about the "dont support to hard" dont know any other way..mind you..having been threatened with eviction from the stadium here in Perth, maybe that should be my new aim..to be threatened with eviction from every NBL stadium? lol

the bigger question is...will i see a 36ers win, It has now been 3 years since i saw the boys win live :(

Reply #223916 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754