flatshot
Years ago

game closing etiquette

I hated the way Brad Hill decided we all wanted to see him dribble for 20 seconds at the end of the game. It used to be the last 5 seconds that we had premature closure but now it is creeping out towards 20 secs or more. Its total crap IMO and when you have got guys just getting out for very limited minutes it is just ignorant and disrespectful of them to have a teammate bounce the ball and deny them one more offence. There were guys on the floor who had not scored so run an offence and try and get them on the board and their confidence a boost.
Maybe there is something i dont get about it but it frustrates me to see it happen. Dont tell me its about acknowledging the crowd -teams do that after the game just as well.

Topic #18915 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

20 sec out of 48 minutes...get over it wanker

Reply #224057 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Shut up MW. I agree with flatshot. Those guys train just as hard and never get to play...give them the ball and at least give them a chance to show something.

I think the dribbling is supposed to be some kind of sportsmanship to the opposition but seriously F**k the other team, uve just beaten them so who gives rats.

Reply #224060 | Report this post

Years ago

I agree with Dr. Bullshit on this. Just keep going 150% until the final siren. If the other team doesn't like it or can't stop you, then they simply need to play better. Nothing unsportsmanlike about playing your best at all times IMO.

Reply #224062 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

its not 20 secs out of 48 minutes for the poor bloke who gets on in the last 2 minutes once in every 6 games and it doesn't enhance my game night experience. MW your maths are ordinary and your manners are on par. So what you meant to say was it doesn't bother you and you dont give a toss about the development players opportunities. OK that's your opinion.

Reply #224064 | Report this post

Years ago

Well it could be argued that giving someone throwaway minutes in a game where the result has already been decided, just for them to make some cheap baskets or whatever, does little for their overall development anyway.

Reply #224066 | Report this post

surmdog  
Years ago

Winatara signalled to brad hill to dribble it out.
it also shows respect to the other team.

Reply #224069 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Stupid thread.

Burdon scored, Hoban got to the stripe for 4 FTs and connected on one. Paora was the only player not to score, and he went 0/2 tonight. Besides, both dev guys have been getting minutes lately and plenty of opportunities to score.

So I fail to see how those 20 seconds would've made a big difference to anyone - be it player or fan - unless you were desperate to see Wini score.

Reply #224070 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Don't blame Brad Hill flatshot, if you knew anything about basketball you would have seen Scott Ninnis signalling for him to dribble it out before the ball was even inbounded, and then after Brad crossed the halfcourt he checked again, with Scottie still signalling to dribble it out.

Oh, and before you have a go a Scottie for telling him to dribble it out, there's a very simple reason for doing so. Hoban and Burdon had both already scored, so by running the clock out you avoid being accused of running up the score. It's good etiquette in any sport.

Reply #224072 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Bullshit thread, anything inside the shotclock should be dribbled out. Can't disrespect the losers and the players know that (apart from Daniel Johnson).

As for the fans, what if the final shot is missed? Kinda puts a dampener on the win don't you think?

One thing I didn't like tonight was the HARD foul on Hoban in garbage time. You don't do that when the game's over.

Reply #224073 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

i was happy with it, i had a bet with 2 kids next to me that winitana wouldnt score. got interesting in the last few minutes, said id buy them a beer if he scores!. for the record i won a half eaten box of pizza shapes, great game!!!!!

Reply #224077 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The game should be played out till the end. With only a couple of seconds left on the clock, Victor made a lunge for the ball from Hill. Adelaide may have not wanted to continue playing but Perth did. Considering there was still time left on the clock, it should have been business as usual until the end. In that time, Burdon may have had an opportunity to shoot a 3 pointer. That would have been much more satisfying for him and confidence building. It may be 20 seconds but its lost opportunity for the development players, not to mention that the extra 2 or 3 points that may come out of it could affect your percentages on the ladder. That would also have been the reason why Victor tried to get one more opportunity. People talk about garbage time. In my opinion there is no such thing. The win is important but the margin is also.

Reply #224080 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Seasons and positions are won and lost on percentage and game margins etc. People forget that 2 points in garbage time is worth the same as 2 points in crunch time. I say play until the final siren, every time.

There's a thought though. If garbage = crunch, I wonder why they didn't call the chocolate bar "Garbageie". Now that would've sold well.

Reply #224083 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

There is nothing better then finishing the game with the final shot going in. If they miss the shot how is that any different to them just dribbling it out.

Dribble the clock out if the score is close or its the grand final. If development players are on, run a play for them or give them the ball to do whatever.

Reply #224086 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

As soon as the dribble out begins, the crowd should be standing and cheering that their team has such luxury.

Reply #224088 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Supid thread, hilly did the right thing. end it.

Reply #224097 | Report this post

wally44  
Years ago

Moses: Play off positions are NOT decided on percentages, they are decided on head to head results of the the tied teams so an extra 2 or 3 points won't mean a thing.

Any decent coach will make the same call as Scott did last night.

I'm assuming anyone that wants a last second play called would not have an issue with someone being fouled really hard?

Reply #224098 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The game was already won.
Would have preferred to seen another play, but these guys are pros so bagging the win is first priority.

Reply #224099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 SEC OUT OF 48 MINS, WHO CARES GARBAGE TIME!!!!!!!!!

Reply #224105 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Wally44 - is that the case this season, where each team has played 6 teams 3 times and 3 teams 4 times? If it's a 2-2 win-loss with one of the latter teams and points' differences balance out to zero, what happens? Do they go to percentages or home-away records or what? I don't know the answer to that but it's relevant to the point at issue (no pun intended).

Reply #224106 | Report this post

wally44  
Years ago

Not sure on the 4 game series but I believe we have played Perth 3 times and they won the previous two so they hold the series...

Wonder what would happen if 3 teams tied on win/loss and some had played 4 times and others 3?

Reply #224107 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I thought my maths was spot on flatshot and my manners were appropriate for someone like you.

By the way with a user name like that, are you Jacob Holmes?

Reply #224123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MW and does your username mean your a Massive Wanker

Reply #224134 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

hahahahaha

Reply #224140 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I thought Victor was stupid for lunging at the ball, personally. Like a little boy demanding his rattle from Mummy. The Sixers did the gentlemanly thing by dribbling it out, and as has been said were only acting on Ninnis' directive anyway. /$0.05.

Reply #224142 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

if its about not disrespecting the losers how come wildcats made a dive for the ball and i have seen a few games this year where the losers have not felt respected and have looked totally pissed with the winners dribbling and extravagantly acknowledging themselves and the crowd. Finish the game then start your celebrating.
Now we all know that the last 24 seconds of a big margin game will not change the outcome of that game- but it may impact on head to head results. In last nights game that was not an issue but in earlier season games no team has a clear idea who they may be tied with later in the season.
I dont get bothered by last few seconds but over time the trend is longer periods of dribbling out and i am not a fan of it. And MW Jakes shooting did inspire the flatshot tag- points for deductive reasoning still not entirely convinced about your maths or your manners but i am convinced that this is a valid issue to question.

Reply #224143 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I know I've already posted here, but IMO, if Burdon or Hoban's confidence will be given a boost by taking a single shot that nobody really cares about and will make no difference to the outcome, then they have some problems. Especially when they've already scored in the game, and have done so in previous games.

This isn't U/10, this is a professional league with grown men playing against each other.

And I too feel that Victor acted stupidly.

Reply #224160 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

hereschenes, Ninnis' instruction would have been unquestionable if he had a perfect coaching record all season.

Reply #224162 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Personally, I think it's an insult to the opposition to dribble out the last 20seconds. 'We beat you so bad, we dont even have to try to compete for the whole game!!!' hahaha losers.............WTF
I thought a struggling NBL is trying to get bums on seats, and they are trying to do that by 'entertaining' the public. What is entertaining about anyone dribbling a ball for a prolonged period of time, just to use up garbage time.
The only reason it is GARBAGE is becasue of what they are doing, which is disrespecting the game, the supporters, and the opposition. Sport is competitive, and sometimes you lose before the siren has blown, but to waste time like that doesnt inspire me to attempt to attract others to see that sort of crap.
And how do you think it looks on television? I know the sting has been taken out of the game when one team is miles in front, but garbage is garbage however you look at it, and there should be no tolerance of it in our game.... none.

Reply #224164 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

EC, can you elaborate?

I'm don't really have a strong opinion on this one either way - just so long as criticism is directed at Ninnis and not the players. However, I do think it's a bit ridiculous to suggest that the entertainment value of the game is somehow diminished by dribbling out the last 24 seconds. The last two minutes of an NFL game often consist of the winning team kneeling on the ball, but it doesn't seem to have hurt that sport.

Reply #224169 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dribble out the last 5 seconds maybe, but not 20 seconds. That's time to run a play for a rookie who trains all season for few opportunities.

Reply #224190 | Report this post

Raytri  
Years ago

Have to agree with you Isaac, I was annoyed to see the game kind of fizzle out like that, but what surprised me more was that the Wildcats let it go, and just stood around with only Victor attempting to make a challenge for the ball. Fair enough they weren't going to win the game, but they could have at least gone out with a fight.
Also we could have set up a play for the dev players.

Reply #224198 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

hereschenes, I can easily elaborate on this one. Ninnis has had problems all season with the right starting line up. Even until the last few games he is still making changes to try and find the right combination. All season he has also struggled to enforce some consistency. My suggestion is that he hasn't got it perfect all season and that his instructions to dribble out the last 20 seconds is not a certainty in that he made the right decision.

Reply #224208 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I guess the guy with the ball can do whatever he chooses to do. It's up to the defensive team to make a contest.

Reply #224268 | Report this post

Years ago

It's a bit of NBA bullshit which has crept into our game.

Reply #224272 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754