Shaqdiddy
Years ago

Will Tigers overtake Sixers?

Just checking through results we have had with Melbourne this season. We split the four games with us, home team winning everytime, but on points differentail, appears the Tigers have us.

19/11/04- Tigers 111 Def 36ers 94 (17pts)

27/11/04- 36ers 119 Def Tigers 107
(12-17)

1/12/05- Tigers 112 Def 36ers 95
(12-34)

26/01/05- 36ers 121 Def Tigers 107
(28-34)

At the moment both teams are equal on games lost, if Melbourne can continue there decent form, and get a couple of upsets (they face Brisbane twice, Sydney in Sydney and the Wilcats) even if we win the remainder of our games, they will overtake us due to points differential. We need the Tigers to lose atleast one more!

Mind

Topic #1894 | Report this topic

Tigers peaked 6-8 weeks too early - but they can certainly overtake us - but the 36ers are hitting some form at the right time

Reply #21429 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Not doubting what you're saying here, but I thought the NBL had 3 rounds (ie each team played each other 3 times). I haven't done any research on this so I'll stand corrected where I sit ..... but if I am right, what's the go here?

Reply #21430 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Moses...Every team plays 8 teams 3 times each and 2 teams 4 times each. The Sixers played Sydney & Melbourne 4 times.

Why? Who knows. Once the Giants went under leaving the NBL with 11 teams, they should have gone back to the 30 game season with each team playing each other 3 times. It's stupid, but that is the way it is.

Reply #21436 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

They won't beat sydney and Perth thats for sure, i reckon the sixers are safe if they can beat bullets

Reply #21445 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

I agree to a certain extent, melbourne have some tough games remaining. The big thing for me is not that we beat the Bullets at home, this should happen, but winning that last one in Cairns I think is a danger game for us!

The best thing that could've happened is having a close game at home against Cairns. Remember beating West Sydney at home earlier in the season by a big margin only to get pumped the next week at the Pigs!

Reply #21450 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Thanks Jas. Who does the draw at HQ? That's terrible. Hurry up and put a Mount Gambier team in the NBL and let's get back to a true national league. If anyone has Allan Scott's phone number, tell him to open the cheque book (again)!

Reply #21458 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From what I've heard a businessman in Tasmania is eager to fund a Tasmanian team once again but the NBL has requirements on stadium size for new teams and are pushing for another QLD team instead.

I think there are more problems with the 8-team finals than an 11-team league.

Playoff games are vital to club bank accounts so I guess this way 8 clubs get the end-of-season bonus, but it's pretty silly given that two teams will probably be knocked out without hosting a game anyway.

Reply #21461 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I think the Brisbane game is going to be a lot tougher than a number of people are saying here.

Brisbane is a very talented team who match up well with the Sixers. Both games we have played against them have gone down to the wire and their new import, Matthews, has really found a comfort zone that he had not really been in the other times we have gone up against them.

I'm not saying we can't win, but I don't think it is a given by any means.

Reply #21501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This will be our first home game against the Bullets and with Maher back, I think we're solid favourites.

Jacob, though still taking some dud shots, is otherwise playing into form. Deserved more boards in the last game IMO. Has scored well in the last couple of games.

With Maher back and starting, Smyth has a fuller list of bench options.

Brannen isn't in good form at all, and the Bullets are only travelling with 9 players and no back-up big man going by previous encounters.

Reply #21506 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

This from www.nbl.com.au

Note: Should teams finish with the same win-loss record and be tied in their head-to-head record, they will be split by overall points percentage.

Does this mean we are tied with the tigers in our head to head record even though they won their games by more points? Or does head to head mean points also.

Reply #21507 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they mean "overall points percentage" in games played between the teams, but they haven't worded it very well.

Otherwise, overall points percentage for the season favours us (3rd in the league).

Reply #21508 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

If we both finish 20-12 for example, they will go ahead of us due to out scoring the sixers by an overall total of 6 points.

At this stage of the season, and with Maher back, there isn't anything wrong with having a heap of confidence with the Sixers winning at home. After all, the Sixers have a perfect record with Brett on court, and I think Isaac has made a valid point as to where Brisbane stand- SHAKY! For me its the Cairns game. Adelaide has lost 'give me's' before, numerous times to Hunter in Hunter which is the freshest in my mind.

Reply #21509 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Actually Isaac I think your right, it appears to be an overall POINTS PERCENTAGE. In the past the system has favoured the team that has won by a larger overal margin!

This league is always trying to reinvent itself, thye should start at a TOP SIX system!

Reply #21510 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754