Isaac
Years ago

Ballinger signs with Waikato in NZ NBL

Just saw that Adam Ballinger will play the off-season with the Waikato Pistons in the NZ NBL.

Waikato is a blue-collar city a few hours South of Auckland. I saw them play last year - they played in a neighbouring town in a smallish venue, but with a noisy crowd (maybe 900 people). Their imports last season were Brian Wethers and Jason Crowe but neither will return.

Waikato are looking to sign an import guard to go with Ballinger and the rest of the team which includes Pero Cameron, Puke Lenden (hard-working SF, but with no shot), Mike Homik (fairly unthreatening big) and Ray Cameron (rotund fellow). The Pistons have also added Mike Fitchett (former Breakers benchie) and Tom Abercrombie (current Breakers development player) so they will be a very competitive team.

Here's more from the Waikato Times.

The NZ NBL season tips off in mid-March.

Topic #18961 | Report this topic

DICKO  
Years ago

Just to be picky, Waikato is not a city, it's a region.

The Pistons play out of Hamilton, the Regions biggest city. Also, my home town of 7 years growing up over there.

Hang on...his name is PUKE???????

Reply #224494 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

It gets worse? Dicko is not only Victorian but he is a Kiwi too? Next you will tell us your wife is a pom. ;)

Reply #224496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haha.

Dicko, yeah, Puke is pronounced to rhyme with "bookie", I think. Awkward spelling but he was good to watch play - not a great shooter or overly showy, so relied on his athleticism , defense, etc.

My bad re Hamilton - had forgotten the name (have stopped at the Burger Fuel there a couple of times). The game I saw (boxscore here) was actually played out at Te Awamutu. Their regular venue might be elsewhere and larger?

Reply #224497 | Report this post

Swish 'n Dish  
Years ago

Isaac, if Ray Cameron is a 'rotund fellow', what does that make Pero???

Reply #224508 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

A rotunda?

Reply #224529 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Beached as bro.

Reply #224530 | Report this post

Bfresh  
Years ago

You have to love the perfect setup for those zingers, nice work as always boys!

Reply #224535 | Report this post

SKUX01  
Years ago

They play at Te Awamutu, Because the YMCA in Hamilton isn't up to league standards.
Te Awamutu is about 30 mins from Hamilton.
The Pistons are looking sharp this year. Can't wait to see Abercrombie get some PT. I reckon he will have a breakout year IMO.

Reply #224551 | Report this post

Swish 'n Dish  
Years ago

Yeah, him and Fitch are an awesome combo.

Reply #224596 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Nice Dicko! lol.

Are the Cameron's related at all?

Reply #224612 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

That's a gold call, Nutwork.

I'd love to have thought of that when I was sitting behind the Blaze bench on Boxing Day.

"Hey, Pero, is it true that you only eat Plink-tun, or would you like a chup?"

Reply #224689 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754