curtley_ambrose
Years ago

Where will the NBL be in 10-15 years time?

Anyone got any positive (or indeed negative) predictions for what will be different about the NBL in 2019 and beyond? I predict import restrictions will include asians as non-imports as the game grows in that region whereby ideally we'd take all the chinese/filipino/korean players that aren't quite NBA ready. Because many people believe the non-nba ready asian players now aren't up to nbl standard (including the ones with nba tryouts under their belts), if the salary cap was to exclude any asian players from salary space, would this benefit the league in terms of exposure? If only the 6 or 7 best were taken it would not necessarily give the 6 or 7 teams that could afford these players a great advantage over the ones that couldn't in my opinion, contrary to if all imports were excluded from salary cap which would benefit richer teams. Sorry gone off topic a bit there.

Topic #18974 | Report this topic

Crude n Rude  
Years ago

I reckon in 15 years time I will be getting off the bog after a big night out, smell the air; realize it ain't roses; look at the bowl and think "oh yeah, I remember the NBL"

Reply #224666 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

No one has any idea where / if the league will exist next year, let alone 2019. I assume it'll only exist on Xbox Live.

Reply #224672 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

NBL needs to be either a regional/national competition including teams from places like Geelong, Woolongong, Cairns, Townsville etc OR a National/International competition with Australian states plus Singapore, NZ & other possibly other countries.

At the moment it's a half way house where some teams like Woolongong represent a regional town, some teams like the Perth & the 36ers represent a state and NZ represents a country. No wonder the league can't work out how to market itself.

Reply #224674 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It's be just a memory? I hope it is up and thriving once again.

Reply #224677 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Daddy O,

Not sure I understand your point.

Geelong in the AFL (and soon to be GC), Newcastle, Canberra, GC, North Queensland NZ in the NRL? Does that make them a half way house?

NZ play in A-league which also comprises a mix of capital city/non capital city teams.

Super 14 comprises 4 x State teams in AUS, and provincial teams from NZ and SA....with the likelihood of Western Sydney team to be added which compromises/waters down the "waratahs" position as a state team.

All of those leagues market ok....

Reply #224685 | Report this post

curtley_ambrose  
Years ago

People put the lack of crowd/following success of the razorbacks/spirit as evidence that two teams cant work in sydney, but what non-sydneysiders dont understand is that they play out of homebush which isnt more than 15mins west of sydney city, real west is another 1/2 hr away, and homebush has bad transport to get there (its not actually on the trainline except for big afl/nrl games), otherwise u gotta drive there. Liverpool, blacktown, penrith, parramatta - thats the west. So if the monkeys runnin the league and the clubs could put two and two together they would have played games out of ej whitlam centre or somewhere else.

Reply #224710 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

in australia!!!

Reply #224769 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754