Johnny_Sack
Years ago

Kevin Garnett 14 years ago...

http://linky.com.au/46qiu

Some of the opinions from around the NBA regarding the (at the time) risky pick of a HS grad with the 5th overall pick... Isaiah with one of the more ridiculous ideas i have heard (i mean honestly!!!). Jealousy methinks???

Big question mark at the time (i can remember being white-hot with rage) - but the ensuing years have borne out the judgement of McHale in getting one of the best players of all-time with a number 5 pick...

Topic #18985 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

I remember seeing KG on Oprah a couple of months before he got drafted. His agent kept saying "he's gonna be better than Shaq".

Reply #224812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

funny my mum saw that interview and i happen to have got a pack of collectors choice bball cards that night with a kg rookie card and held onto it based on that alone.

Reply #224828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he aint better than shaq...

Reply #224941 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

The "better" question isn't as cut/dry as you seem to think anon... As a "basketball player" you could make a case that he is better... Dominance-wise - no doubt Shaq gets it (Shaq is probably the 2nd most dominant player after Wilt)... Personally i believe the argument holds some water... Lest we forget Garnett was surrounded by ###p most of the time in Minny... Shaq had Penny/Nick Anderson/Horace Grant (in a weak '95 Season), and thereafter Kobe (+any other trash), Dwayde (+referees)... who did Kevin ever have prior to going to BOS (excepting the WCF season)...

It's for this reason that i hope BOS get the title again so people get off Kevin's back... Shaq is a GREAT player - but he had a lot of luck as well...

Reply #224954 | Report this post

A lot of luck? all his teams were bad, and suddenly they're good when he arrived. Thats not luck

Reply #224972 | Report this post

Years ago

To be fair, the various reservations and so on were valid. Nobody really knew that Garnett would turn out the way he did. He could have gone totally off the boil once involved in the NBA lifestyle, as a number of players from both high school and college have done over the years, as pointed out by Shawn Respert (whose career faded out due to injury, IIRC). It's a testament to Garnett and his character that he's not only turned into an amazing player, but a great person from all accounts as well.

Reply #224996 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754