Anonymous
Years ago

Lightning Cracks!

Logan should not have been able to beat a top ranked side like Adelaide under any circumstances and this defeat gives more credibility to the rumour mill about internal divisions.
Teams that have youth on their side seem to run over tired Lightning players. Going, Going.....

Topic #19006 | Report this topic

It is written  
Years ago

Logan have lost lots of close ones.
It was a bout their turn to snag one.

Perhaps adelaide have injuries, that are stopping them from playing like we are used too?

Tough game tonight, a win , plus another townsville loss and they can still make 3rd.!!

Reply #225051 | Report this post

good wake up  
Years ago

Saw a bit of last night's game on TV this arvo and gee the defence was average. Not trying to start a marion slanging thread but her defense is average. She runs into the worst positions as she gets back on D and puts up no pressure , which basically leaves the rest playing 4 v 5.
Team moral not looking good but I guess that is understandable with the slump. lots of shoulders and heads hanging low, hope the can find the spark and be more than just a finals participant...

Reply #225068 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I also only saw bits of it , on tv today , and they looked a little lost.
Thought I saw Francis open about 10 times , but they didn't pass it and tried to force which didn't work.

Reply #225080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if the live stats were right they lost to townsville tonight 93 to 55

Reply #225086 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

yes, that scoreline is correct

Reply #225092 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

time for the wheels to go back on

Reply #225093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lucas put together team went forward to a championship that needed no coach at all and Valk took the credit, fair enough. Now, this Valk unit is average at best and the internal chaos and lack of vision for the future means Lightning are just static electricity. She needs to accept the credit for that too.
Jack, the axles are broken so there is no use putting the wheels back on

Reply #225138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

38 point thrashing by the Fire and the coach can't keep blaming the officials on the road. Lightning have no run in their legs, look slow and despite their height can't win the boards. If they were horses ,you'd spell them.

Reply #225166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are a pack of hogs full of their own self importance ? Cayla is the only one who is a team player, the rest of them are only there to make themselves look good or fill in the numbers because no one else with any talent wants to play with them!!!! look at the assists the only time we see lots are when its a crap team. Miss Marino spends the rest of her time with her tongue out drawing fouls from sympathetic umpires when she leans in to any player she can find on a drive. They are crap!!!

Reply #225199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wasnt a 38 point thrashing it was a 45 point murder!!!! They are crap!!!!

Reply #225200 | Report this post

Crazy  
Years ago

Question for you posters - Are you Lignting Fans?

Valk is one of the great Lightning past players and has done a great job imo getting the most out of her team

They are not playing well ATM however they need the support of there faithful fans

Perhaps some people need to move on and forget about past coaches

Reply #225201 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Watching the game on ABC2, a commentator noted that Sam was the barometer for the team.

Reply #225208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Valk was a fine player but that doesn't make her a good coach. She had a dream team to start with and has a solid team this year yet has come up short. You can be a fan of the Lightning and still think they are self destructing under this management. No gel, no team.

Reply #225209 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interesting that all the negative comments about Vicki and the team are from anons.

If you're going to have a go and you believe what you say, put your name against it!

Reply #225215 | Report this post

another anon  
Years ago

I love it when somebody with an alias has a go at anonomous.

Feel free to post your real name Jack.

Reply #225231 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

I watched the lightning last week against Dandenong I think it was, about 8 TO in the first 5 mins, luckily we came back and won. Terrible standard of ball. They need to play with some intesity at both ends of the floor. Got a long way to go IMO, and yes a lot of players seem to be playing for themselves

Reply #225234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poeple on here always bag angela for being selfish. The most selfish person on that team is foley. That girl is a dead end to any of the lightning offences!

Reply #225240 | Report this post

Wayville 79  
Years ago

No point guard, no gelling .

Reply #225251 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

One thing I think you can take from all the above posts is there is no team cohesion at the moment. There are a lot of selfish players out there and not a lot of team ball being played.
I personally think that Marino isn't playing as a true point guard and to be honest, I don't think the team actually has one. For your starting PG to only average around 3 assists a game (and I was surprised it was that many!) is not enough. Angela wants to shoot the 3 ball (which she is good at) where I think she needs to get all the other players into the game first, run offences.
Secondly, and some people may disagree but i'll take you out to a training session to prove it, but Cayla Francis is straight up lazy. Does not work hard enough at trainings, will try to get out of the hard stuff wherever possible and is simply a chucker. This may work in the ABL against lesser opponents and with a weaker side, but not in the WNBL game. We get beaten on the boards because she barely rebounds. Cayla gets beaten consistantly from true centres and will always be pushed out to the arc were she will settle for a long jumpshot or 3 pointer, not what you want your main inside player doing. Doesn't run back on defense but i've never seen someone move so quickly going forward!
I think Duke is a good role player and when she realises that will have more of an impact. A great rebounder and is solid on D, but of late is forcing shots and that is not her game. Bring her off the bench and allow her to be the "energy" player.
Jess will be Jess and her confidence will come back that's assured. A couple of bad games but if she keeps her head up and works a bit harder on her shot at trainings will be na great player.
Gahan flat out needs to get more looks. Get her into the game Vicki!!! GET HER INTO THE GAME ANGELA!!! Tracy is your most valuable player use her accordingly for christs sake!!!
Finally, put Sam back into your starting group for Duke. Sam provides stability and leadership, something this group lacks. Without replacing your PG the next best thinjg is to inject some heart into this group, some passion, which is what players like Sam,Erin and Whittle ooze.
Is it too late to save this side??? This Saturday will be massive!!!

Reply #225267 | Report this post

knowledge  
Years ago

agree with everything you say "the brad" Angela should not be playing the full game. definately needs resting. Saw Tracey calling for the ball Friday night and they just weren't getting it to her.
who is on the bench? get them on the court, if they are in the team they must be good enough to play, otherwise get someone else.
Jess is down on confidence at the moment and it shows.
unfortunately can't see them getting past their first finals match.
will be a Townsville v Canberra GF. although can't write off Bulleen.

Reply #225295 | Report this post

Edin  
Years ago

Why is everyone so hard on Vicki when it's already been reported on here in the past that Vince makes all the calls from the stands at the games.

Reply #225311 | Report this post

Fox 37  
Years ago

Some people don't believe everything that has been written on here in the past. And Vicki herself has said that she hasn't talked to Vince about anything to do with subs or game plan.

I would sooner listen to the coach than some anonomous poster.

Reply #225312 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Grow up edin

Reply #225314 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I highly doubt that Vince is calling the shots from the sidelines!! He probably doesn't even make it to every game!

Reply #225339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team consists of a huge amount of individual talent, however individuals don't win championships.

Very very much lacking in a true point guard, but if Angela isn't running the point then who is? I believe the point guard needs to create for their team mates, ensure the ball is in the right persons hands at the right time.

This was very clear against Logan, Veal was a true leader, dishing the ball with pure brilliance, setting up plays and getting her team mates the ball when they were open.

I personally wouldn't count the girls out just yet. They are a talented team and I hope they start playing for the Lightning and not for the name on the back of their jersey!

Fingers crossed it will happen soon!

Reply #225347 | Report this post

back to basics  
Years ago

watching a few of the lightning games lately i have come to realise that (yes Angela can be known to hog the ball and not dish off when it is often the better option) but that a few of the other players in the team are almost as bad or if not worse in that department. Jess foley being one. When she is on fire then yes hog it all you want to make a score, but when you are not in great form then dish the damn ball!! I have also noticed that Cayla would be a much better player if she wasnt so lazy. And that they should play Mia Newley a lot more as an impact player off the bench - she has a lot more to give to the team and will improve immensely with more court time.

But the biggest thing i have noticed is the lack of defense!! I dont think any of them know how to play split line/help defense, half of them dont know how to box out on the shot or bump the cutters. All basic skills that you learn as a youngster.

Come on lightning go back to basics, learn how to play defence, learn how to pass the ball and run some offences otherwise a year that seemed very promising at the start of the year will slip away before your eyes!!

Reply #225366 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where were the Lightning expected to finish? From memory, most tipped them not to repeat - I get the impression that they overachieved to start the season and might've raised expectations?

Reply #225379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't play any defence last year, only thing that's changed this year is they've lost most of their offensive guns.

Reply #225388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its accurate to say they over achieved early on but that should have fed into a confident team going forward instead hey have unravelled with the coach blaming refs instead of her players.
They would be stretched to beat the worst AIS team in a decade at the moment and the coach doesn't seem to have any answers. Narrow loses are par for the course but thrashings, like Townsville suggest that the players are not playing for the coach.

Reply #225394 | Report this post

back to basics  
Years ago

exactly why they need to start playing some D. If your lacking in the scoring department the only way to win games is to play good defence.

Its not like getting to split line and boxing out is hard stuff, ive seen B grade juniors doing it better than the lightning.

Reply #225395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its hard stuff for hogs and al;l of them except for Tracy and Cayla are a pack of hogs who ar e just interested in being the superstars. Foley and Marino are an excellent example

Reply #225440 | Report this post

Hoopaholic  
Years ago

If the coach had some disipline it wouldn't be an isue. Sub out the hogs, and demand they pass the ball.

Attitude reflects leadership.

Which shows Vicki and Sam are to blame.

Reply #225447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

225440 - Have you been watching the same Games "al1 of them except for Tracy and CAYLA" I agree with Tracy but Cayla who never plays defence as "The Brad" has stated, she demands the ball whether or not she is free so she can shoot it up. Cayla is not team at all. Trails for defence but is the first one down for Offence. I know you all have a go at Angela but I consider her to be okay. Look at the other team guards. Veal is the only one that sets up plays etc and how much older than Angela is she? I think everyone should leave her alone and pick on the really Big Heads who are lazy and don't try unless it is for themselves.

Reply #225474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrower, Milner, Flanagan, Poto, Hurst...to name a few, all doing a much better job at organising, creating and directing their teams.

Reply #225482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

225482 I know of at least three out of the list you have mentioned, where the team members are no happy because those guard are holding on to the ball too long and not putting it though hands quickly - it is all about themselves. So Angela moves the ball and does look for the transition play. 'The Grasses always look better on the side' Be happy with what we have and work with them because they are ALL good in some way or another. What does TEAM stand for Together Everyone Achieves More.

Reply #225496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

225482 How motivational, an acronym for TEAM.

All the playes listed are in the top ten assists in the league. I'm not knocking Angela, because she is good at what she does, but that is ideally not a point guard position. I think we are underdone in this position.

Lightning are individually very talented, but as a team they are lacking imensely. I am not sure what the dynamics of the group are exactly, but I hope they get it together soon.

Reply #225500 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I missed the start of the ch10 news item about it.
Heard part of Sam and Vicki denying that there is a rift in the team.
' A big turnover of players ' - Vicki said.

They interviewed Jan Stirling ( in Russia I think)
She said it's not a championship team , but hard work on the track and they'll get it together.

If the start said anything interesting , let's know.

Reply #225516 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

This is an easy fix ,it is up to the coach and senior player to show leadership on and off the court.If they cant show this then maybe its time to move on.

The problems have risen due to poor selection into playing roster at the start off season.Sam should of not come out of retirement,Bowley was not a good replacement for the retiring post player.

We should off added a couple more young girls to the roster for the future.

The way they are playing at the moment shows up in a number of key indicators - team cohesion,intensity, confidence and disorganized..

Solution : players go at the end of season or coach goes,because at the moment they have lost belief in themselves or the coach...

Reply #225834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to find a strong point guard. Marino is ok when there is no one else to outshine her but not a team player and Williams is just a waste of time. She is crap!!! Good at ABL level thats it and neva going to get any better.

I agree they have to get rid of the fringe players and the hangers on. The bench has no depth and the starting five are not a team. Great individually but don't gel.

Need some strength and depth

Reply #225869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Managed to beat the 2nd placed Bulleen tonight so they can't be doing that badly.

Reply #225871 | Report this post

Pultney  
Years ago

Yeah, Marino should be doing better than being the 3rd top scorer at the Olympics. We don't need more playes who can do that! (insert sarcasm here)

Reply #225881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to c and sorely needed. What's important is that what ever is going on behind closed doors does not emerge on game days and team comes before anything else no matter how hard that is for the players.

Reply #225899 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754