DICKO
Years ago

The Tribute Thread

I know they have another game and some playoffs booked, but after Saturday night, I thought now would be a good time to kick it off.

So here's mine to start......

==========================================

From a NON-36ers fan.

Brett,

For all of the highlights that you contributed to our great sport over 18 seasons.

For being the kind of loyal person that sticks with a single club for every one of them.

For showing (something a few of our younger players could learn) that great talent and incredible skill CAN go hand in hand with a great personality and incredible humility.

For weathering personal loss as a true professional, whilst showing us, the public, a human side to who you are.

For being a shining example of dignity, class and sportmanship in both the highs and the lows of professional sport.

THANK YOU.

I will never forgive you for the beatings you and your team gave my teams (Magic and Titans) during the 6ers heyday, but I will always remember the way you carried yourself throughout.

I hold you right up there with Andrew Gaze.... not necessarily in skill or success, but as one of the FEW people that has been a positive influence on our sport EVERY day, and a flawless example to our children of just how good a sportsperson can be.

All the best Brett, I hope you are as blessed in your future life as we have been to be able to watch you do what you (and we) love.

DICKO

Topic #19018 | Report this topic

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Absolutely Dicko

For me it started at his first training session which i happened to be at.The 18 seasons in between that session and that last monster three Saturday night have been amazing.

My lingering memory will be to the very last shot every game he did something that you thought wow, then the next game he would do something that was even better.

Like Dicko said he is like Andrew Gaze, for me in a way that he has this persona about him that makes you think he does not know how good he is, that he is just out there having fun.

Close games from here on will be different,no more just give it to Mahersy and we will be fine comfort.

He has also shown amazing character when he could have gone elsewhere for a lot more money. He chose to stay and where the sixers blue so that in times where a lot of athletes are proven to be all about the money , he showed that sport can be and should be more than that.

Hopefully the joy he gave to many many fans throughout the years will be repaid with much joy to him in his post playing life.

Reply #225206 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

Alot can be said about this great man...but will it ever be enough?

From my days in the stands as a season ticket holder to having the previlage of getting to know Brett personally through my involvement with the club, I have always held him in high regard.

As a player...he is a "true" champion of the game and has earn't the respect from all opposing players, coaches and spectators alike. As a person...he is what everyone would call a "great bloke".

Yes, the 36ers will not quite be the same without Mahersy.

Brett Maher = Pure Class, NBL Legend.

Thanks for the memories.

Cheers.

Reply #225221 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Watching Brett play has been a priviledge for my whole family for the past 18 years. In sport, loyalty is often a quality that is missing in place of personal gain. To watch Brett play every match of his NBL career for the 6ers has been inspiring, regardless of other opportunities that were open to him. My younger brothers both went through district juniors with the aim of being 'like Brett Maher'. They both went to Brett's clinics for kids where they were able to meet him and learn from him which gave them a great thrill.

As a role model for younger players, to have a player that commits himself to consistency and just getting the job done for the team is fantastic. And that's why Maher will always be a legend. Although he had plenty of individual talent that he could have played for himself, he always played for the team. Because of his input, we have 3 championships and plenty of great memories from all of the games he has been involved in. Brett, thankyou so much for the memories and the contribution you have made to basketball, particularly here in SA

Reply #225235 | Report this post

yvonne  
Years ago

One of my first memories of Brett was of watching him and another leading junior in the U16 State squad engage in a foul-line shoot out at the end of a camp at Athol Park. Both did not miss a basket in excess of 60 shots, then Brett took over. I said to myself "this kid is special".

I watched Brett at the Powerhouse/Dome from the beginning of his 36ers career. John has seen only half of it, but we both share tremendous admiration for Brett's skill, courage, strength, humility, loyalty and dedication and other attributes which most people would like to possess a few of, let alone all of them.

Brett, it has been a great ride, and we wish you and your family all the best for the future. I know we will see you around basketball and for that I will be eternally grateful.

We count you as one of the finest people we have ever had the privilege to meet.

Yvonne and John Milbank

Reply #225258 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

AMEN!!

Reply #225264 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

My fondest memory of B Maher has been the way he was always expected (and delivered) to hit the big shot when the sixers were struggling for a basket

Will miss his presence on the court- Champions don't come along like him very often

Reply #225289 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I gotta say, I was suprised to see this drop off the front with 7 posts.....I would have thought you lot would be all over this.

Reply #225713 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not something that can be put into words (vs a standing ovation at the Feb 7 game) or hasn't been said a thousand times already. Will go to his Feb 20 lunch instead.

Reply #225729 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree Dicko I was away couple of days missed post.
Great words from opposistion supporter. I kept hoping that retirement would not happen this year although did not want to go 1 year too many.
It just wont be the same without Brett after seeing him go from bench plyr to star to captain and through his family traumas .
Not only can I remember all though crunch shots to win us the game but the opposition knowing he coud do it had 3-5 plyrs chasing him to stop him getting ball and easy shot. I thought the whole of Sat night was a fantastic send off and to see him do well was huge and of course that shot. Bad luck on those on court after game interviews could not hear jack shit.
He sets a great on and off the court standard and only hope this can be maintained . How many of those 3 premierships would we have won without him.
Tigers have had success after Gaze although not to sure we can do same can only hope and thank Brett .
You are the true SA champion not those ego $ driven AFL stars . looking fwd to his lunch and if we can get over NZ a great finals series.

Reply #225735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754