Isaac
Years ago

JR's All Surprise Team

John Rillie has outlined his "All Surprise Team" in one of those JR On Fire posts I'm sure everyone prefers (insight rather than news bullets). These are the guys that outperformed his (and possibly many of our) expectations:

Carter
Petrie
Vanderjagt
Crosswhite
Schenscher

Here's the full story

Any you disagree with, or any others worth mentioning?

Topic #19027 | Report this topic

Rat10  
Years ago

Nice to see Big Luke getting some recognition. Andrew Gaze also commented that he'd performed above expectations last Wednesday on Fox.

Luke has certainly performed above what he was expected offensively, showing me moves that I didn't know he had. He's also surprised me in how good a free-throw shooter he is, a skill often underrated in big men. He's been marginally disappointing defensively but this may have something to do with being hit with some questionable calls by the refs on occasions and getting into foul trouble.

I thought that the Sixers were a legit top 4 team this season with their talent and depth so given that Luke has exceeded expectations and the Sixers will probably finish 6th with a record close to 500, who has underperformed for the Sixers or is it more to do with early injuries, changing imports 2 times during the season and/or not playing very good team defence etc...?

Maher has probably given more than was expected of him this season given his past injury history, Ballinger has been his usual excellent self, Hill has been good in spurts, Holmes solid.

I was expecting more from Aaron Bruce. He hasn't performed terribly but I thought he had a better 3 pt shot than what he has shown this season and was slightly better defensively.

Reply #225369 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Yeah, Rat10,

Yes i must admit that while i am not surprised by Luke's overall performance, i was surprised by the effort he has put in from the foul line this season. He is a better foul shooter than i thought he would be.

The one disapointment i have from Bruce's game is that for a point guard is that he seldom uses a jump stop. He dribbles, then takes his two strides, and then he passes while in the air, or shoots an awkward looking runner. If he just used a jump stop occasionally....

Reply #225371 | Report this post

The way I rate the 6ers is like so -

Schescher (A-) Been good with no love from the umps.
Ballinger (A) Standard performance from Big Balls.
Maher (A+) Didn't expect his last season to be so good.
Hill (B+) If he works on his J he will be very good next year.
Bruce (B-) I love watching Bruce play, but lacked consistancy over the season.
Davidson (B) Had a good year, hopefully he can stay healthy.
Holmes (C) Only came good once moved to the bench.
Cooper (C-) Under used this season.
Winitana (C-) Injury and Brad Hill cost him court time.
Tyndale/Hodge/Grizzard (B) - Hodge gets an A, Grizzard a B and Tyndale a C.

As for the development players, Burdon and Hoban were good when given a chance. As for Kersten, hit the gym young man otherwise your out.

Reply #225390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tyndale's numbers were no worse than Grizzard's.

Reply #225405 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

tyndale had some preseason, grizz had < a week

Hoping Grizz continues his form from the Breakers game against the Hawks and into the final(s)

Reply #225451 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good analysis of team. Yes we havent done as well as should have probably with team we have.
Bruce although got the speed and the shot apart from brain fades still something missing. But if can keep a couple of years could be the goods.
As good as Schens been still frustrates me not remaining in the play.Guess If he was better at his size would not be here.
Sorry you Winatiano fans has not got anything we need . Worrys me when has the ball and no real confident shot. Contary to others thoughts cant defend my view. I like Brad Hill but all over the shop in what he is going to do let alone work with team.
Coop. has been good for us over years but need to replace now . Gets scared when gets the ball now.
Jacob much better than a C . Important to our future but never going to be a star. Can anyone explain how easy Ballinger gets points but then drops out of game so long again will be the backbone of team.
Brett what a game sat. Never forget that shot .
Davo we need around fit for next few years .
If can getter NG at right price and points will add to team

Reply #225478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754