tiger man
Years ago

southern tigers new import

not much coming out of tiger land, re new import John Morris.. he found it easier to listen to his i pod than heaths time outs on tuesday night. come on guys whats up with this guy. When will we hear something.

Topic #19060 | Report this topic

VIP  
Years ago

They'll struggle to find someone with the positive impact that P-Unit had to the team. Massive loss him going to the mighty South Adel Panthers.

Reply #225720 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

who is P-Unit ?

Reply #225724 | Report this post

import hunter  
Years ago

John Morris apparently has 45 Inch verticle leap, with great offensive and defensive ability. Any more?

Reply #225736 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Played in Vic last year, just checked and averaged something like 25 a game. Seems like a real player. Great pick up for the tigers

Reply #225737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Smith, You have to be joking?

Reply #225740 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I would still like to know how they are fitting him under the salary cap considering you have to pay a minimum which is well in excess of the Salary cap, I wonder if they will be investigated??? I doubt it!

Reply #225747 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Stop whinging you already got Smith from them.

Reply #225753 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

no American import can play in our league, $2200 per month min payment required + all other expenses, salary cap $15000 to be spead over men and women, maybe he will play the first 2-3 games.

My gut says someone has jumped the gun here and there is going to be a tiger fight down south real soon. someone has some egg to clean off a few faces i reckon.

Paul Arnott will have 8 other coaches asking how is this possible, the answer is, its not.

reckon John should have taken the West Australia offer he had on the table.

there is more to this than we are being told.

come on Heath suit him up this week

dare ya?

Reply #225754 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

And next year will probably be more Juror12.. ;)

Reply #225756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul smith massive loss hahahaha, yeah from the bench maybe, hes that big that he had to sit on two chairs, looks like it has created room for somewhere to stack the towels, its a bit like in that movie semi-pro when the guy gets traded for a washing machine hahaha

Reply #225766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you people...
there has been at least 1 import in the league every year for the last 5 years... maybe just maybe there are allowances to have an import play that isn't here on a sports visa. Thus no salary cap restrictions

Reply #225767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this smells of dodgy deal.

Reply #225781 | Report this post

loophole  
Years ago

got it sussed, he would be on a 421 sports visa still requiring him to be on $26,000 for the year. tigers will pay him to do clinics and junior development, employ him as a club on the required $2200 per month.

still sponsored as required by BA rules

when the salary cap police come checking his match payments, they will be minumal because all of his visa required payments will be attributed to so called development work.

he gets his $2200 per month, heath gets a american and the salary cap has not been breached

will this get by the Arnott police????

Reply #225784 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

will they be over the (bickie) barrel?

Reply #225785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't P-Unit the guy who has been seen frolicking naked around the house with the one known as T-Mak. Heard they have been seeing each other over the past couple of weeks. Any truth to this?

Reply #225795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the lady who dose the wonderful spread at southern is thankful she has to make half the amount of food now that paul smith or p unit has left

Reply #225805 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

The Visa only allows you to pay 50% of their playing salary on top of their playing salary, so no they can't do that loophole...

Reply #225850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be that he will have a full time job (that maybe the club got him) and that playing ABA would not be considered in relation to his VISA.

Pretty sure South ABA men have an import who played all of last season, didn't hear anyone complaining about that.

Reply #225854 | Report this post

loophole  
Years ago

he was on a 471 sports visa, being canadian he was eligible for this visa, the 15 or so countries that have this apartnership with Aus can work here for 12 months and play basketball as long as they are not paid to play. this was common knowledge thats why no one complained, it was legit.

American's are not eligible for this visa, the partnership does not exist.

421 sports visa is the one he is probably on, if this is the case he must be paid min wage is $26,000 per year.

not to mention insurance, flights etc.

no one is complaining if its legit, word is he played in Warnambool last year on a 421, import status applied.

how are they doing it, or are they now the cat is out of the bag, more news to come.

if heath has found a loophole, every other coach will be on the band wagon.

Reply #225860 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

who cares!!!! The better the caibre of players our league gets can only be a positive. It can only raise the level of play and competition...let them sign who ever...they will still be poo!

Reply #225943 | Report this post

What the  
Years ago

How can they break any salary cap bylaws when there are none!!

Can someone show me in wroting what law they have breached.

Reply #226077 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Its good to see clubs can afford to spend $26,000 on an import yet have a budget of $0 for facilities.

Reply #226079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

considering clubs don't own or run facilities why would they have a budget for one bluey?

Reply #226083 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Well maybe they should, ever thought of that?

Reply #226117 | Report this post

plasma  
Years ago

that explains why it costs $210 for the up coming season to play division 3 and 4 seniors at southern tigers

Reply #226125 | Report this post

b-dogg  
Years ago

be good to get some excitement back at the cage. the only excitement u get is from their announcer. even then he tries to make regular things seem exciting coz there aint much to choose from!! lol

Reply #226147 | Report this post

Edinburgh 83  
Years ago

there will be some excitement this year in tigerland. i was at southern tiger practice and jus seen him throwing down monster dunks left and right. i have to say he is pretty good people. miles above the rest at practice.

Reply #226633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Miles above the rest @ pracice"? It was only a southern practice, not hard!!

Reply #226638 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Paul smith is that you having a winge! Are you still upset you got traded for a washing machine!

Reply #226708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha they took the washing machine because its clean and doesnt smell.

Reply #226884 | Report this post

Bye Bye  
Years ago

In the current economical crisis it blows my mind that a club that is already struggling in a sport that is struggling, is paying $26k plus accomodation costs and a return flight! Will we see another club struggle financially and inevitably fold? Would that be good to stick on your resume Heath? I guess considering you were the reason about 7 players left the only way to fill a team is to pay for players! You would hope you win the championship because I can gaurantee that with this sort of money invested they would expect nothing less!!!

Reply #226966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wait and see how he goes...Its good for basketball and its good for competition...Maybe this guy might bring some crowds out!

Reply #226967 | Report this post

Camel 41  
Years ago

i think it will be swell to actually have an american import play in our league that can actually play and bring some sort of excitement to the games.At least there will be dunking from a black guy who can jump.lol. the league has been so boring. I think having him out in the great land of oz is great for basketball and will do nothing but raise the level of competition and play. i mean the guy did play in the big v last year against much stiffer competition than our league and i hear he put up like 25 points a game.so that alone should tell people that the guy must be a really good player. its just basketball people so just let him play and stop whinging about the situation because at the end of the day he will play this year and there is nothing dodgy about how he signed with the tigers. i hear southern plays their first game at starplex.tigers might be poo this year but there should at least be a little more excitement. and p unit. i seen hime play over the last 2 years. he fukin sux donkey azz......GO MIGHTY STURT SABERS # 1......

Reply #226992 | Report this post

centrals fan  
Years ago

search him on youtube mates. just put his name and put highlight at the end. its a dodgy lookin upload but you can get a good look. (john morris highlight)

Reply #226994 | Report this post

Bye Bye  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, it looks as though the guy can play and will be great for the league, but at what cost. From what it seems ht eclub has already raised fees to help cover his expenses, so are players going to start leaving? What if the club puts themselves in an unfinancial situation and kids lose out? Is it going to be worth it? Families are already going to be struggling with fees due to the economy, is it really the right time to be paying $26k for one player?

Reply #227009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my question is how will he fit with their team now? with bungees attitude? their current leadership? and a bunch of young guys with not much experience?

Reply #227010 | Report this post

Bye Bye  
Years ago

They will definitely need him also now that Lalic is out for the season!

Reply #227012 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bye Bye,

Sounds like your real close to the action there at Southern. Just curious if you're an executive committee member who doesnt like where things are going or a player/parent hearing rumours and also not liking where things are going.

Im certainly not going to say your points are not valid, just keen to know if your source is reliable?

Reply #227073 | Report this post

knowledge  
Years ago

thats why australian basketball is the way it is today. people are always complaining about something. just let the best players play, the better the players the more the crowds get into it. if you play against the best competition that just makes the local players a lot better making them more useful in the future. let the guy play and see what he does, maybe southern is just starting a trend that will continue to grow throughout the abl.

Reply #227304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah i agree with knowlege, all you bitches stop whinging & deal with it. he's gonna play no matter how much you tools whinge. the only reason you whinge is because you're afraid of you/your teams being beaten. i bet you wouldnt be having a cry if he was playing for you!!!!!

Reply #227537 | Report this post

jiim  
Years ago

well maybe if he played for my side i would not be whinging.lol. care for a trade. ill give you any 2 mates for the centrals side.

Reply #227637 | Report this post

Bye Bye  
Years ago

I'm not going to state what club I follow Anon, but I will tell you I am a basketball supporter who is concerned with the welfare of the sport not only in this country but more so in this state. I have been around for a long time, through the times when all the sixers were playing plus each team had two Americans and I know the money that has been spent in the past. Although those times were great, I believe it put a lot of clubs in a bad financial situation for a long period of time.
We haven't been able to afford American's in this league since Woodville won back in 2005 and you would think that being in the current economic climate we are in right now, we wouldn't be able to afford it now.
I'm not complaining to say American's shouldn't be able to play, it's great for the competition and raises the level. But I worry about a club putting them in a bad financial situation for some short term gain. I don't think adding a young american to an already young team will help them acheive the ultimate success and win a GF, there's in no chance of that. So what are they achieving by doing this? Where will the club be next season? Would they not be better off recruiting 2 or 3 Australian fringe NBL players to the club that may hang around the club for more than one season?

Reply #227715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the big deal, the juniors poach their players rather than develop existing ones and the seniors buy players, so what! If southern see this as a positive and BSA rubber stamp the financials what's the issue?
How are Norwood funding so many of the Lightning team and how did/does Forestville support their WNBL players?
The tax office needs to investigate some of these wonderfully successful canteens that are paying such great wages and look at the payments for individuals and coaching clinics that seem to be on February 29th every year.
Seriously does anyone in basketball believe in the salary cap, is their a salary cap and who checks and scrutinises it? Not everyone plays for love like Dusty!
Are the CABL cap restrictions on payments the same as the ABl? If, as it appears, no one follows them and no one checks and no one is ever reprimanded for breaking them, why have them? The clubs that can afford to buy will buy and win and the others clubs will lose. Then every 10 years, clubs can have premiership reunions and pay for their star/s to come back and celebrate with them.
But whatever you clubs do, don't develop raw Australian talent, don't invest time in them at all and always look for a premiership as the primary goal of basketball life, Buy baby, BUY!

Reply #227726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice sook.

Reply #227728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that was a nice sook. One question, which juniors have been poached?

Reply #227733 | Report this post

VIP  
Years ago

@ bye bye

the american import for southern tigers is not young. he turns 24 this year. you talk as if he is 19 or something. get your facts together befor you begin to talk. and all speculations about who will win what this year really doesnt matter because no matter how good a team looks on paper they still have to go out and play the game. all the talk is good and all but we will see how things really turn out as the season gets underway in just about 2 weeks. so all you people out the who think you are basketball guru's just shut the f**k up and let the basketball take care of its self. thanks mates. see you back here after week 1

Reply #227752 | Report this post

Bye Bye  
Years ago

Yeah your absolutely right VIP, no one should be posting anything on here at all yet, I mean just because it's a forum, what gives you the right to have an opinion on anything at all???
I was also concerned for my team to come up against John Morris, but since you've now "enlightened" me that he is an old fart, I no longer need to worry!
Typical moronic comment coming from a Southern fan...

Reply #227775 | Report this post

VIP  
Years ago

p unit will be a massive loss for southern this season. i think hell is a farrrr better player than import john morriss. and his impact on the game of basketball down in tiger land will be massively missed and it will be hard for morris to fill his shoes. does anyone agree with me in saying right now that the big p unit is better than american import john morris for the tigers?

Reply #228010 | Report this post

Pulteney 51  
Years ago

speaking of new players in the abl this year...... southern import john morris and eastern mav and 36er brad hill both came from big v last season. lookin at the stats and talking to a mate down in victoria it looked like hill played on a much better team but in the head to head match ups morris looked to average 28 points and 11 rebounds. any thoughts on who will win their match up in the abl? they will meet in week 2. should make for a good showing.

Reply #228011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill will flog him. John was playing with a lot of very young players in his team last year ie 14/15/16 year olds and you would expect when you are the main player who is getting the ball all the time you would get those numbers. I think the hype is not warranted but I guessw only time will tell.

Reply #228020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754