skull
Years ago

big luke and bogut ??

with luke's recent form does anyone think he could have helped bogut and co at the beijing olympics ???
purely hypothetical !!

Topic #19076 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt whatsoever! I don't think too many of us 36ers fans thought he'd be any where near as good as he is. He may not have been the huge offensive threat that he is in the NBL, but he would have been a massive help on defensive, rebounding, & altering shots.

Reply #225862 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

would they be both on the court at the same time ?
mills,newley,neilson,bogut,schensher ??

Reply #225865 | Report this post

ballinger fan  
Years ago

If he was fit he would have been of assistance, but he widthdrew from the olympic trials because he was not fit.

Reply #225876 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Healthy yes, unhealthy no. When healthy, he's NBA quality. The club should do all they can to keep him.

Reply #225882 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Not really, IMO.

As well as he has been playing here, he is a 7'1 C playing in an undersized, unathletic league. Throw him into the Olympics, and it's a whole nother story.

He's not a big shot blocker, certainly isn't a physical presence, and is quite slow. Despite his form, I'd still have to go with Bogut, Neilsen, Anstey and Andersen before him.

Reply #225901 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its a close one between Luke and Anstey/ Andersen for the Boomers. Anstey is more mobile and a better range shooter, as is Andersen, but both are very easily moved by big centres on the defensive end and neither of them block shots either. Anstey is also getting long in the tooth!

Luke still has a lot to learn and room for improvement, but I think he has a lot more potential defensively for the Boomers. If he can defend the rim for us, hopefully we won't see Bogut picking up so many fouls. The Boomers would benefit a lot if they can keep him on the floor for his offense.

I hope he'll be included in the next Boomers team. Though that could be by default the next time they get together, considering Bogut's back troubles at the moment!

Reply #225912 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i guess when you look at it all our 5's are really 4's from the waist down,as far as being moved out of position that is !!
the fact anstey can shoot the ball from the perimeter gives him the edge,and anderson is surley a 4 internationly.the thing that is missing is a 6,11' mackinnon type player and that ain't big luke !!

Reply #225927 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Skull, you are right - the athletic MacKinnon type SF was the biggest thing we were missing at the last Olympics. We sorely missed his mobile rebounding and defence.

Before the last Olympics, I would have said Anstey's shooting gives him the edge too, however the Boomers proved during the Olympics that they have no idea how to utilise a big man with that skill!

Since they don't know how to use Anstey, they might as well get a guy like Schenscher in there who isn't a complete marshmallow on defence and has more than 2 years left as a good player!

And speaking of the offensively challenged Boomers. Wouldn't it be great if we could contract a top US college coach during our Winter (when they are also in their offseason) to teach the Boomers how to exploit mismatches and attack a zone internationally? No-one in Australia (incl Goorjian) seems to know how to do it!

Reply #226005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

beantown, i thought going into the olympics that anstey was the ace we had up our sleeve. a seven footer shooting the 3,drawing the opposition bigs away from the basket and giving others better looks.
i know this wasnt an "every time up the court" option but i thought it could have been explored a little more.also the nbl smalls took a long time to gell offensively with our international bigs, which cost us that first loss and eventualy one more chance in the finals.
gaurding the high pick and roll was the obvious problem,our nbl smalls arent used to that style of play mainly because of the lack of quality bigs in our league.
the opals are a different story because they play an international style here in oz week in week out!!

Reply #226017 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

that last post was me, forgot to fill in the name box !!!!

Reply #226019 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just found this thread again, so a late reply for ya Skull, but I agree with your comment about our guards. They took awhile to find their feet. Newley eventually showed that he has what it takes to be a pretty good international guard. He and Mills will make a pretty decent backcourt for the next few years.

Between those two and Bogut, we have some quality to build around. If only we could find a strong, athletic SF in the Mackinnon mould (I fear Sammy Mac's basketball days are rapidly drawing to a close) we would be in very good shape.

In the meantime it may be some combo of Ingles and Barlow - perhaps Ballinger/ Redhage could be considered as options too if we need a little more beef!

Other than that, we seem to have unusually good depth emerging at the other positions. Mills, Newls, Bruce, Ingles as guards. Bogut, Jawai, Schensch, Anderson, Ogilvy, Nielsen and Anstey (for another year or two).

Reply #228921 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Beantown, I would argue we have depoth at the Power Forward and Centre positions. We can pick from guys like:

Centre / Power Forwards
- Andrew Bogut
- David Andersen
- Luke Schenscher
- Nathan Jawai
- Andrew Ogilvy
- Luke Nevill
- Chris Anstey

Huge depth when you put the names down on paper - the days where names like Russell Hinder get a game for Australia at centre or forward are long gone based on the above list alone.

As for small forwards and guards, unfortunately we are not blessed with as much depth. SF continues to look like a major problem. Some names off the top of my head at the top of the list of candidates for the Boomers would be:

Small Forward
Shaun Redhage (age)
Sam Mackinnon (age)
Joe Ingles (can play guard)

Guards
Patty Mills
Brad Newley

CJ Bruton (age)
Aaron Bruce
Jason Harvey
Damien Ryan
Adam Gibson

What do others think?

Reply #228929 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:24 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754