vc for 3
Years ago

Spoiler: Slam Dunk Contest

Just watched the dunk contest, Nate "Kryptonite" Robinson went one better than jumping over Spud Webb and jumped over the man of Steel himself, Dwight Howard. Dwight got to dunk on his 12foot hoop this year. Came out of the phone booth too. Soooo easy........
Rudy had a nice dunk off the back of the backboard from Pau Gasol.

Lebron has said he will dunk next year!!! Thinks he can do 13feet

Topic #19080 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

shit dunk contest this year...didnt really enjoy it..judging it obvious biased how rudy could only score 42 4 his final dunk, sure he took alot of dunks but it doesnt say 4 each miss take away a point or whatever from his score
Nate and Dwight were always going to be the final two!

Reply #225913 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Thoroughly deserved win by Nate. That dunk over Dwight knocked me off the couch! I thought Rudy deserved to be in the 2nd round more than Nate but lucky the judges didn't agree or we wouldn't have seen Lex Luther do his thing.

Good effort by Daequan Cook in the 3pt shootout too, btw.

Reply #225914 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I thought it was a poor event... Rudy's dunk with Pau was one of the better dunks of the contest.

Dwight's dunks were quite boring and lacked the imagination compared to last year. He is still has crazy hops. Actually compared to last years contest they whole event was boring.

Nate's dunk over Dwight was nasty.

Reply #225918 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Dwights dunk from the FT Line was average it must be sad. Personally, I thought he dunked 12 feet quite easy. I reckon that for his last dunk he should have windmilled a 12 foot rim. I reckon he could have done that.

Rudy's dunk off the backboard was awesome. The Way he caught the ball and wrapped it around was so athletic. If he got that in his first go, he would have brought the house down. Honestly, I thought he was unlucky not to get into the last round..I felt like he still had alot more to show us..Like he had one crazy dunk left in him

Reply #225921 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Dwights dunk off the side of the board was HUGE, he grabbed that thing cocked it back and his hand/arm was still outside the key before throwing it down, shame he didnt have something a little more special for us for his second dunk.

Rudy got robbed his dunk's should have been enough for him to advance to the final two.

Nates dunk over Dwight was huge! his first dunk whilst impressive for his size wasnt THAT big.

Walk away thinking how scripted it all was, kryptonite, dwight etc etc. Still I enjoyed it all, hopefully Nate pulls out of next years comp though, think we've seen enough of him out there.

Reply #225926 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Dwight cleared 12foot so easily it was ridiculous, he definitely shouldve put it to 13 or 14. And on his last attempt, from the free throw line, that shouldve been a 13 footer too, and thats how a freak of nature wins the dunk comp....again!

Reply #225928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If anyone finds a good highlights package on YouTube, please post it. Managed to see a few of the dunks from one video, but seem to have missed a few.

Wish they'd go back to the days of Carter's crazy windmill - that still stands out to me. Dunk off the lob and jumping over people is great and all, but barely new.

Reply #225931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwights dunk was on an 11ft ring not 12ft

Reply #225941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

says who anon?

Reply #225945 | Report this post

Dwights one off the side of the board was the best one by a mile i thought.

But yeah, bad event.

Reply #225947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This years dunk contest reminded me of a crappy sequel to a good movie, whereby in the time that has passed since the last one certain moments have become so ingrained in the public conscious that the participants feel obliged to reference them. The result is a contrived mess, with the only enjoyable parts being those that reminded you of its predecessor. If you've ever seen "Meet the Fockers" you know what I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Dwight Howard fan and am amazed by Nate Robinson, but I found myself cringing through most of it.

Everyone raves about Howard's leaping ability. But in my opinion, extreme though it may be, his need to slow down and gather himself to plant his feet robs him of nearly all his forward momentum (his freethrow dunk being the exception, but that was off one foot and looked really awkward). This severely limits the kind of dunks he can do and they all end up looking like slightly different versions of the same dunk.

Now, Nate Robinson in my opinion should never have made the finals. In the same way Dwight Howard's "sticker on the backboard" dunk didn't receive the acclaim it should've at the time because the judges were confused and felt pressure to give an immediate score, Nate Robinson's vault off the back of Wilson Chandler should have been torn apart by the commentators and judges and should not have scored higher than a 30. It was a terrible idea.

His 2 dunks in the final round definitely were worthy of victory. But anyone who tries to tell you that he didn't get that much assistance by putting his left hand on Dwight Howard's shoulder is full of it.

In summary, too convoluted from both the participants and the NBA. But with the success of last years, it was probably destined to be a let down.

Reply #225952 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Isaac NBA.com is covered with highlights.

Reply #225955 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

was it definately 12 foot, looked like 11 foot to me.

Reply #225962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was 11 foot. He wanted 12 feet but it wasn't approved by Sterns(?). From what I heard these type of things need his approval.

Reply #225963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clearly it wasn't 12 foot

Reply #225976 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Nates dunk over Howard wasn't all that, he used his left hand to vault off Howards back and kinda went to tha side. The last good dunk comp was when JSmooth did his Dominique Tribute

Reply #226003 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754