Anonymous
Years ago

Oceania and the Nationals

What is the use of Oceania being at the 20 Nationals, they are way below par and don't give anyone any competition. U20 may be an ordinary event but Oceania just drops it down even further.
Taking it one step further why does NZ get a spot at our Australian Nationals at 16 and 18 level because they are not competitive.
If that's the way its going to be maybe they should call them something other than the Australian Nationals and invite PNG and Easter Island as well.

Topic #19082 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Perhaps BA are smart enough to realise that allowing these teams helps to grow the sport throughout the region, which in turn assist to grow a talent pool, which in turn can help our leagues.....

They are not great sure, but from little things...

Reply #225916 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

You are an idiot. Like HO said..By including these teams in the tounry, it helps Basketball Australia immensly.
Also, to say that NZ are a bad side is just stupid. The Under 16s and Under 18s beat alot of teams, except the Vic teams. If you say that NZ are not worthy of being there, than what about Northern Territory or WA Country,(who are generally the worst). Do you turn around to them and say your not good enough.

You sound like a guy that doesn't even follow basketball. Are you racist or something towards Oceania people. Did you see what happened at the FIBA Youth Tournament in Guam. Tahiti, who are part of the Oceania, lost to the Australian Under 18 team by 23 points(83-60). Loosing by 23 points to an Aussie side is damn good. You wait, Oceania will be alot more competetive than you think. Mark my words tosser.

Reply #225919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HQ,
What about our huge domestic drop out rate post 18's and district U20's players are becoming an endangered species. If these are development Nationals then wouldn't we be better getting more kids involved in them by continuing the 16 and 18 format of two teams per state and developing another 10 Australian kids per state? This might keep more kids in basketball and their dreams alive.
How can Oceania get a gig ahead of the Northern Territory and what does that say to the top end kids about a future when they can't put a side in?
Are there really more talented players in the ACT which gets a go than in a second team from Vic, SA or NSW and WA would field? I don't think so.
BA is always off the pace and has limited vision because its attempting to father/promote basketball in Oceania at the expense of developing Austraian kids who continue to drop out from 18's on.

Reply #225920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skux101, Oceania couldn't beat a good District U16 team.
And please explain how it helps BA immensely.

Reply #225922 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The idea of adding second sides from large states has merit..its a good thought.

Not sure what that does to the integrity of the tournament though....if BA allow "second" sides what happens to a national title if a "second" side wins the damn thing?

Not sure what evidence you can provide that would support the notion that adding more spots at u20 would help with domestic participation though...

Finally, re vision. I think BA have a lot of vision. I think they are quite strategic...but, and I have said this here many times, they ain't got no cash, very little resources, low staffing etc etc....

peoples expectations of BA are totally unrealistic ...its a little like expecting first class service when you fly Tiger airlines.

Reply #225923 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Your a tool. Oceania will be competetive. You are making an assumption..Im not. I know whose in the team and they can play. I don't think your a basketball fan either. Please, stick to your main profession of masturbating.

Reply #225925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The current bottom-age Metro U20s lost to NZ in U16s.

NZ definitely are not the worst teams at Nationals.

Reply #225929 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

NT can put a team in if they want. They are historically unable to find 10 players who want to go.

Reply #225939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia is very strong in all sports and any NZ side competing in an Australian comp or league benifits greatly from increased competition as we don't have the depth up and down the country that you guys do and especially with the AIS cranking NBA quality players out, it's all good from our point of view. Of course NZ isn't going to come over there and kick your arses consistantly, but so what if they happen to not be the best team there, someone has to come last.
How much better is the NZ vs Aus games when NZ are competitive and it's close, blowouts don't attract TV ratings and inspire people to part with cash for tickets for games that they already know the result of.

Reply #225957 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

How does haveing the tops states 2nd team beat other states promote Basketball in the states that aren't as strong?

Reply #225960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sure this is regarding the flogging that Oceania recieved from SA yesterday at the nationals, 124 to 44. Wait till they play WA to say they aren't worth being there, as both VIC and SA probably the two favourites are in the same group with WA and Oceania

Reply #225961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fox, thats the point. That NT can't get ten players for the nationals at U20's, according to you, would seem to support the call to fix Aussie basketball first before including others.
#957, I am in agreement with you re NZ competing, but want more State teams allowed to compete to keep aussie kids in basketball past U18's. If the states sent two teams each not only are we developing more Australian basketballers and keeping more interested but oceania etc would have more exposure and possible wins.
We have a massive drop rate thru 18 and 20's and basketball is not a top sport here and does not drag first choice athletes so retention will become even more of a problem.

Reply #226001 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Your assumptions are questionable:

a) Is NT, given a tiny playing base and resourcing issues, broken ... or is it to be expected?

b) Will extra teams actually, not theoretically, mean more kids particpate domestically?

c) Does BA allowing oceania to play preclude NT or second teams .... ie, are the objectives mutually exclusive? Obviously I would argue that they are not.

And here's the reality for you. I doubt any state would want to fund, manage or send a second side. hence the 20's are a national champs reflective of state territories whereas the 16's and 18's are made up of country/metro mixes.

Reply #226007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

States dont fund, parents do. Compare the playing base of NT to the ACT for an answer to your question. More kids would play so the question of more kids taking part and retained would be yes.

Reply #226018 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok, so i compared NT to ACT and discovered NT has roughly 40% of the players that ACT does....

so now explain how ten extra kids per state would have a serious impact on local participation.

Reply #226037 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

actually, each state partially funds the trip. BSA put about $8K into each team. Total coast for 10 players and coaches is about $20 - $25K depending on accomodation. This is due to the air fare equalisation program, where each team pays an equal share of everybodies flights.

Reply #226039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so if they were not coming from NZ it would be cheaper

Reply #226087 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

226087....NZ are not included in the equalisation

Reply #226093 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Let's put it another way, and I'm not meaning to offend anybody here. If Victoria were able to put 3 or even 4 teams on the court at the National's, all of these teams are still more than likely odds-on favourites to beat NT, Oceania, NZ and possibly even TAS and ACT as well.

However we are a nation operating in states. You represent your state, and country (in the case of NZ), and region (Oceania).

Just my 2 cents worth.

Reply #226096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then why is it called the Australian Nationals?

Reply #226097 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

cause we host....

why is MLB called the world series, why do the NBA call their winning team the world champions...all unanswerable questions!

how does it hurt us having either Oceania or NZ play at our events? What damage does it do?

Reply #226110 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

NT parents only found out this year that there was a flight equalisation program. I wonder why they were paying considerable more in the past?

Reply #226129 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

Probably because Basketball NT doesn't subsidise s much as BSA.

Reply #226133 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

NT...because the flight equalisation has only been in place for a year.

Reply #226153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Equalization: means parents have the privilege of paying more to subsidise NZ teams playing in the Australian junior Nationals. I think most gladly subsidize the Australian states but its bullshit to pay for overseas teams competing here in what is supposed to be an elite Australian competition.

Reply #226170 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

226 ...sigh...read the posts above...NZ are not included in the equalization to my knowledge

Reply #226180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754