Hill
Years ago

Bogut Update again

found this on foxsports.com. By the way let me know if you want me to post this stuff on bogut or not??

Monday, Feb. 7

Here is the first thing I discovered about the Andrew Bogut boomerang: When I tossed it in the garbage, it didn't come back to me.

How much did Utah's sports publicity office spend on designing, printing and mailing those flyers to members of the sports media? Too much. Because however cleverly printed Bogut's statistics might be, they are not going to convince skeptics he is one of the five best players in college basketball.

He leads the nation in rebounding. He leads the nation in double-doubles. He leads the nation in field goal percentage. He averages 20 points per game. His team is 19-3.

There you go. All of that, free of charge. And I guarantee I convinced no one, probably for good reason. Stats aren't going to do it. The leading scorer in the nation is a fine player named Keydren Clark, who is averaging 26 points for St. Peter's. The national assists leader is Damitrius Coleman of Mercer. They're doing terrific work, but they will struggle to gain recognition as first-team all-Americans.

That shouldn't be the case for Bogut. He not only is one of the five best collegians, he's probably one of the two best. He can score from the high post or inside. He's a tenacious rebounder. He has exquisite passing skills for a big man. And for those who think the league in which he plays isn't that tough, what will they say when he starts putting up those big numbers in the NBA?

However, the only way to convince the unconvinced is to get those people to watch him. Counting Monday's visit to UNLV, Bogut has seven more games scheduled, but none is set for a national broadcast. So if you missed Utah when he played Washington (23 points, 12 rebounds, four assists), Arizona (20 points, 10 rebounds, three assists), UNLV (10 points, 15 rebounds, four assists) or BYU (20 points, nine rebounds, four assists), you'll either need access to a pay-per-view telecast or the patience to wait until the Mountain West tournament.

That's too bad.

Bogut's even better than he looks on paper.

Topic #1909 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Screw the Mountain West tournament, I'm waiting for Bogut and the Runnin Utes in March Madness.......

Reply #21645 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Ditto. KUTGW Hill.

Reply #21653 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Libertine get off the net you have a game @ 10.30

Reply #21655 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Good to see that Utah in now ranked 16. Two weeks ago they weren't in the top 25.

They beat UNLV last night by 2, Bogut had a quite game, 15 points and 4 boards from memory.

15 game winning streak.... all on the back of an Aussie boy...

Reply #21715 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

lol, and we lost by 2 after my monster game winning shot on the buzzer rimmed out. I even had the whole Jordan wrist and everything. Damn MARS rings.

Reply #21760 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Was watching the UNC v Duke game on ESPN and Dick Vitale named his best 5 college guys at the moment and include Bogut in his 5. More praise for the Aussie :-)

Reply #21875 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Duke won by 1 by the way, another great game between these two legendary schools.

Reply #21876 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

and from what i heard Jacob Holmes rejected a full scholarship to attend Duke?

Reply #21890 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Heard Bogut is on the cover of the new SLAM mag. Anyone subscribe and can confirm/deny this

Reply #21892 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

If Andy B is going to be as good as what everyone is saying I think he will go a long way to making Basjetball a higher profile sport in AusLand... It will take more than just him ofcourse but he will be getting on the news and sports tonight

Reply #21926 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Damn, I was planning on watching the tape of that Duke-UNC game later. Maybe a spoiler alert would be a good idea in the future for games in non-related threads.

Reply #21952 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754