Ben Fitz
Years ago

New Basketball Stadium planned?

Article in the tiser today suggests a new 15,000 seat indoor stadium could be built alongside a new 100,000 central stadium.

Topic #19103 | Report this topic

Chewy316  
Years ago

An 80k-100k stadium in the city would put Adelaide firmly on the sporting map in the world. Would instantly give the possibly of Adelaide hosting major world cup matches such as a potential semi-final or third place playoff should Australia host the world cup (most likely in 2022)

As for the new basketball stadium, it's a good idea, but I don't see the point of building a 15k seat stadium when we rarely ever fill the Dome.

Reply #226157 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A 15k seat basketball stadium would also mean Adelaide could host other events like Rod Laver Arena does in Melbourne such as concerts and other sports.

Reply #226159 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There are more pressing issues in this rust bucket state and attention diversions like this mean that the pollies want the public to be distracted on stuff like this than the real issues that they can't manage properly. "Give them their bread and circus games"

Media Mike does a very good job at managing the masses of Adelaide, but forgets that the state extends beyond Gepps Cross and Darlington.

Of course it would be great to have a huge brand new indoor stadium and outdoor stadium. But, DHD is pretty good compared to a lot of the other stadiums in the NBL. Spend $5M on that to upgrade it and you've got an excellent stadium. It is in an industrial zone so why the local council restricts use is beyond a joke. Change the council by-laws, upgrade the stadium and you'll get some reasonable acts to Adelaide that will fill a medium sized stadium.

Reply #226160 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Adelaide urgently requires about 4 x 4 court basketball stadiums rather than a 15,000 seat stadium.

We already have an Entertainment centre and the Dome and struggle to fill either of them. Football Park usually has at least 5,000 vacant seats. A 100,000 seat stadium would be filled to capacity once every three years at best.

Meanwhile, we can't hold a swimming carnival for lack of a venue, athletics bypasses Adelaide because of a poor track and our few suburban basketball facilities are in danger of falling down if someone sneezes loudly.

Reply #226161 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

So much for the Brett Maher Court... the new one would probably be commissioned as the Mike Rann Is Awesome Court.

Reply #226164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its here http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25071443-5006301,00.html

Reply #226173 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

How about they build a road that goes two ways first!... New Stadium.... what a joke!

Reply #226181 | Report this post

The next state election will be pumped up by both parties as either a vote for a hospital or a vote for a stadium.

While I personally cant see the point of building another hospital, while the old one can be refurbished, or building a stadium that would mainly be used for AFL, when they have a perfectly good stadium already, these are the choices that you will be presented with.

Vote wisely.

Reply #226186 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

Daddyo has it utterly right. What about taxpayers pay for structures that taxpayers use for once? BSA could use the revenue, many of the Clubs are desperate for somewhere to play, and the sport as a whole could grow. Elite players have to come from somewhere!

Reply #226190 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

And you all know that neither will be built in the next term. As mentioned pollies just diverting attention to where it should be. Money would be better spent elsewhere and they all know it, but these talks generate public interest.

Reply #226201 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Why do people think it makes a difference if a venues can hold 15k or 8k or concerts. We don't pack out enough concerts for it to make any real difference. No need for new basketball stadium at all. Fix up the one we have and we shall be fine. Especially if they can hold vents there in the future like wrestling etc

Reply #226211 | Report this post

Years ago

I would of thought that if a new stadium was to be built then a 6 or 8 court stadium near say ETSA park or some where close to the city. Would be the best outcome for the sport. As Hillcrest & Marion are in need of an upgrade Morphett vale is getting an upgrade?? That style of stadium run by basketball makes more sense for the sport of basketball then a Dome type stadium. Which we already have.

Reply #226230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a chance this will get up- a million things ahead of a basketball stadium

Reply #226237 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The 15k basketball stadium is just like the 100k arena: items on the Office of Sport and Rec's wish list. (Note that the report doesn't actually say it should be a city centre stadium!)

No chance of getting a new basketball stadium when we can't even fill the current one.

Unfortunately, judging by the morons commenting on the Advertiser story today, there is real chance the public could vote for a stadium that will never be filled instead of critical infrastructure like a hospital.

People think Power crowds look bad in a 40k stadium. What are they going to look like in a 100k stadium?

Reply #226269 | Report this post

Years ago

How about we do something about getting more frequent and accessable public transport (especially on weekends) for the Hills (particularly Mount Barker) and other distant suburban areas (in all directions), before we worry about new stadiums that aren't going to get filled and arent needed.

The fact that I live in what is still classed as a metro area, yet (if I didn't have access to a car) wouldn't be able to go anywhere (even get home if I was coming from town) after 7pm at night or on weekends(due to buses not running to my part of the suburb during these times, and trains being non-existent) without walking 5 kilometres is totally ridiculous IMO. It's not as much of a problem for adults that drive, but what about the elderly, and teenagers, or people who simply can't afford a car or prefer not to use one? Is everyone just meant to stay home every night and on weekends if they don't drive?

Sorry, pretty off-topic rant, but it's a ridiculous situation I've noticed in my area, and I wanted to mention it, as it unfortunately doesn't seem like any change is going to happen for transport in outer metro areas any time soon.

Reply #226273 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

3 your 'rant' is not off topic at all. Better public transport is one of many things we should be demanding from our government before an unnecessary stadium.

Reply #226285 | Report this post

Years ago

Well hopefully the SA government can recognise the real issues, and do something about the ridiculous public transport in this state. I know a lot of that is privatised now, but surely they can still have a hand in getting the required changes made to help SA people, especially in outer metro areas.

Leaving people, particularly minors, virtually stranded in their suburbs at night and on the weekends can (not always, I admit) lead to crime, drug use and violence due to boredom. Obviously many other factors contribute to this, but when young people are all but stuck in their own suburb on the weekends, it can lead to problems developing, and almost ghetto mentalities forming. I know that sounds extreme, but those people that don't drive need to have the option of being able to leave their suburb whenever they want, without having to wait for hours or walk for miles to a bus. If the buses can't be made more frequent (and I don't see why they can't), spend some cash and gets trains going to the Adelaide Hills and Eastern suburbs, as well as more frequent services for other outlying areas. Just make it easier and more accessable for everyone, so that they're not just stuck in their local area all the time.

Reply #226518 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754