Isaac
Years ago

NBL Awards Nominees Revealed

Each of the NBL's 10 teams was able to nominate a maximum of two players from their own roster for each of the four award categories. In all, nine players were nominated by their clubs for Rookie honours, 16 for Best Sixth Man, 17 for Best Defensive Player and 13 for Most Improved.

Voting for the award winners is currently underway, with the Head Coach, one Assistant Coach and one Captain from each team having the chance to cast 3-2-1 votes for their preferred choices. Voters are not allowed to vote for players from their own team in the final balloting process. The player who receives the highest vote total when all ballots are counted will be declared the winner.
Rookie of the Year
Aaron Bruce (Adelaide)
Zac Carter (Gold Coast)
Chris Goulding (Perth)
Dan Jackson (Wollongong)
Daniel Johnson (Melbourne)
Rhys Martin (Wollongong)
Adrien Sturt (Melbourne)
Stephen Weigh (Perth)
Kerry Williams (Cairns)

Best Sixth Man
Dillon Boucher (NZ)
Daryl Corletto (Melbourne)
Jeff Dowdell (Perth)
Casey Frank (Gold Coast)
Dave Gruber (Sydney)
Nathan Herbert (South)
Brad Hill (Adelaide)
Stephen Hoare (Melbourne)
Phill Jones (NZ)
Daniel Joyce (Gold Coast)
Brett Maher (Adelaide)
Anthony Petrie (Wollongong)
Dwayne Vale (Cairns)
Isiah Victor (Perth)
Kerry Williams (Cairns)
Brad Williamson (Townsville)

Defensive Player of the Year
Chris Anstey (Melbourne)
Dillon Boucher (NZ)
Mat Campbell (Wollongong)
Peter Crawford (Perth)
Ebi Ere (Melbourne)
Adam Gibson (South)
Aaron Grabau (Cairns)
Paul Henare (NZ)
Jacob Holmes (Adelaide)
Alex Loughton (Perth)
Scott McGregor (Gold Coast)
Damian Martin (Sydney)
Darnell Mee (Cairns)
Glen Saville (Wollonong)
Jason Smith (Sydney)
Cameron Tovey (Townsville)

Most Improved Player
Michael Cedar (Townsville)
Ian Crosswhite (Cairns)
Oscar Forman (NZ)
Chris Goulding (Perth)
Aaron Grabau (Cairns)
Tommy Greer (Melbourne)
Nathan Herbert (South)
Brad Hill (Adelaide)
Matt Knight (Sydney)
Anthony Petrie (Wollongong)
Lindsay Tait (Wollongong)
Luke Whitehead (Gold Coast)

Topic #19172 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no luke for best D ?

Reply #227065 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Obviously Adelaide did not nominate big Luke?

AB is surely the favourite for ROTY?

Reply #227067 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Isaac did you put in Daniel Joyce for Defensive player of the year as a joke? :P

I can't believe he could be nominated yet Schenscher wasn't. I guess it doesn't matter as neither will win the award. However, it was nice of Brendon to nominate his son.

Reply #227068 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

ROY Aaron Bruce although I reckon he is the next Lachlan Armfield if he doesn't get some confidence back.

MIP Oscar, Brad Hill, Herbert or Cedar. Oscar has had a big improvement over last year but surely Brad Hill gets this due to not getting a gig in the wooden spoon team to scoring 30 in a knock out final. Herbert outside shot Cedar as a smokey

DPoY either Gibson or Boucher. Boucher just brings it every night and Gibo's hustle has been a main reason for the Goons success.

Reply #227072 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bruce, Jones, Boucher, Petrie.

Reply #227081 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

KingJames - I think you will find Dan Joyce actually won the Blaze DPOY award last week - quite scary isnt it......

The other stands outs in the list for me were Zac Carter from the Blaze who played about 11 seconds for the year - why bother nominating him, and Scott Mac nominated in the DPOY catagory. He doesnt play D and got bugger all minutes this year so was this a joke too?

Reply #227082 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Aarron Bruce gets tha ROTY for sure, Phill Jones for BSM, Dillon Boucher for DPOY, Oscar Forman for MIP
(can you tell I'm a Breakers Fan LOL)

Kirk Penney for MVP

Reply #227084 | Report this post

MAZE  
Years ago

Wouldn't it make for an amazing season for Brett Maher if he wins the 6th man award.

Reply #227085 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

How can Bubbles (Chris Goulding) be up for Rookie if he played minutes for the Bullets last season?

Reply #227096 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Hey anon why would you think Schens. would get best defence as although had a good year his defence is defenitely the weakest part of his game.

Reply #227105 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Schenscher is 2nd in the league in blocks (not to mention all the shots he alters), 2nd in the league in defensive rebounds. People say he gets pushed around easily but go look at the centres he played against this season and most of them had poor games against him. I would say he is weak offensively how he goes up with his shot but don't see that same evidence in defence.

Have a look at the players Holmes was matched up on during the season and see how they performed. You might be very surprised! but as long as Jacob dives on a loose ball we will crown him defensive player of the year at our club.

Reply #227112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacobs defense is heavily overated.... cant sugar coat it

Reply #227123 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA!!!!!

I just laughed my freakin ass off for 10 minutes!

First I laughed at SoJ getting nominated for 6th man. Then I accidently banged my head on my desk laughing at SoJ getting nominated for the DPY but I still had a little left in me for his MIP nomination.

This joke has gone to a whole new level. I know he won't win anything, he probably won't even get a vote. If the judges could give out negative votes he would end up on -456 for DPY, but just the fact that his dickhead of a father has the ordasity to nominate him is freakin ridiculous -and that's a massive understatement! I need Isaac to give me on of his crazy adjectives to use. (Brendan Joyce is so sycophantic ;)

Ohh god, I'm still giggling.

Reply #227127 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Bruce, Maher, Anstey (on reputation) and Hill. Agree Schensch should be in the mix for Def. Player.

Reply #227139 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Seriously though,

"How can Bubbles (Chris Goulding) be up for Rookie if he played minutes for the Bullets last season?"

Could be if he was a development player last year??? Not sure though.

ROY: A.Bruce by a lot.

6th man: Maher if he actually qualifies. Otherwise Jones or Victor.

DPY: Daniel Joyce

MIP: M.Knight

I actually think Adam Gibson is a good chance for the DPY. He's my pick.

Reply #227158 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Rookie of the Year - Aaron Bruce (Adelaide)
Best 6 man - Brad Williamson (Townsville) (the two Tigers are about 8 & 9) Donte Smith is pretty good 6 at the moment as is Thomas or Kendall whoever gets in first.
Defensive Player - Adam Gibson (South)
Most Improved - Matt Knight (Sydney)

There are some unreal nominations. Crosswhite MI your kidding.

Reply #227180 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I didn't think Bubbles was a development player last season but I might be wrong.

Reply #227219 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Goulding was a dev player with the bullets, i'm positive.

Bruce ROY by a freakin mile.

Jones 6th man. Brett could go close on sentimental votes but he started about 2/3 to 3/4 of the games he played, so wonder if he's eligible. Victor the dark horse.

DP could really go to just about anyone except SOJ, but i expect it to be out of the likes of Anstey and Boucher based on their reputation.

Matty Knight MIP. Brad Hill will definitely be up there, maybe top 3, but don't think he was consistent enough over the whole season to get enough votes. Cedar might get up there too.

Reply #227256 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Best 6 man - Brad Williamson (Townsville) (the two Tigers are about 8 & 9) Donte Smith is pretty good 6 at the moment as is Thomas or Kendall whoever gets in first."

Lol, I'm pretty sure you don't have to be the first one off the bench to win 6th man.

Reply #227265 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754