mark
Years ago

Lightning roster changes for next season?

It will be interesting to see how many off the current roster remain for next season.

Lets start the ball rolling
Gahan
Newley
Duke
Marino backup pt guard

Topic #19221 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duke, Marino, Francis and Newley will be the only ones there next year.
Foley and Gahan will play in Europe.
Trudy Holland will come into the 10, and i think Nikita Martin wants out of her contract in Sydney so she may suit up for Adelaide as well.

Reply #227635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foley wont leave adelaide

Reply #227660 | Report this post

sps  
Years ago

Is it just me, or is everyone else bewildered at how Trudy Holland has ended up in the Lightning squad?! There are plenty of local players better than her. Have I missed something?

Reply #227748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nikita hasn't been happy anywhere so might be best passing on that option

Reply #227753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will an official free agents list be released?

Reply #227754 | Report this post

Years ago

holland is chummy with sam - the west adelaide connection

Reply #227766 | Report this post

Years ago

duke has gotta go - space cadet.

her occasional double digit scoring game or 3 pointer is not worth her u12 div 2 style of mistakes.

Reply #227768 | Report this post

Duke of turnovers  
Years ago

Completely agree re; Duke the space cadet. She would have to be one of the biggest liabilities in the league during games as well as training. I hate to think how many times she's injured a team member with her underestimated strength at trainig. (Mod: Legally questionable. Watch what you say!)

Reply #227790 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

if your talking about liabilities then Foley and Francis on the defensive side are right up there giving away X points every game because of poor footwork,effort and understanding

Reply #227963 | Report this post

allo allo  
Years ago

not sure who will score if you dice those two??

not good.

What about recruits?

Who and where are the players coming from???

cant sack em without replacing??

Reply #227973 | Report this post

plasma  
Years ago

I agree with you sps re Holland. She even looked out of place during the warm ups!!

Reply #228000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I totally agree. i do not understand how she is in the squad. she went from playing absolutely no minutes for west adelaide in aba to making the lightening squad. im guessing sam has used her power to make it possible for her. there are so many other girls out there who deserve it more than she does.

Reply #228278 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Perhaps you could name some of the "many other girls who deserve it more than she does". Trudy is a hard worker - maybe something the team needed to counterbalance the ones taking it easy. I find it interesting that you emphasize Sam and her influence - it didn't help get her more court time did it?
I am more inclined to think Jess Foley, who suggested to Vicki that she "get Ang off" if I can lip read correctly after a time out during the semi final, has more power.

Reply #228289 | Report this post

plasma  
Years ago

it does make me wonder how she got in the team though. Obviously the coaching staff see something I don't.

Reply #228295 | Report this post

allo allo  
Years ago

Well plasma

She is young and a late starter so she is most likely to show improvement.

Leanne Reid was similar many years ago.

I think we should be able to judge where she is at after a couple of rounds of rhe cabl.

Reply #228322 | Report this post

Pasy  
Years ago

Hardly a late starter, played State country in U16's.

And did nothing last year in ABA.

Funny that there was more players from West than any other club in the Strike squad as well.

Same as certain lightning players going to Norwood

Some consistancy in a certain 2 clubs getting benefits from the Lightning program. Just happen to have coaches and front office members.

Reply #228328 | Report this post

Basket 12  
Years ago

On that theory what benefit does South Adelaide have seeing Carla has/will be playing there?

Reply #228334 | Report this post

in the not  
Years ago

South Adelaide has never asked for special permissions for anything from the lightning

Reply #228361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its beyond doubt that West and Norwood have done well out of the Lightning. Nothing to startling in that and its the way basketball works in this country as the sport is soooo small. You scratch my back and i'll scratch yours. Talent is of secondary importance because if you put enough effort into players they can do a serviceable job.
In women's basketball in particular I'd expect to see our ranking slide over the next decade.

Reply #228368 | Report this post

plasma  
Years ago

From my memory (and I did play with her), Leanne Reid was taller and more athletic than Trudy. That definitely helps when looking for a player with potential. She also played netball for the ravens.

Reply #228432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to everyone whose saying trudy doesn't deserve her place, you obviously don't know the girl and haven't watched her through all the years she's played.
1. she's incredibly hard-working. not only will she push herself, she'll push her teammates as well.
2. She's probably faster and fitter than half the point guards out there.
3. Can play any position on the court if need be, (maybe not point but ohwell)
4. Has NO attitude AT all! it would be nice to see more players like her take the court.
She's has the talent, the dedication and the right attitude that's needed to have a real chance at this level.
perhaps west do have a lot of players in the strike squad, that's not merely because of Sam. it's because they are actually talented.

Reply #228537 | Report this post

plasma  
Years ago

She is hard working, fit and has no attitude- there are plenty of girls out there that have that. I think what might be required is talent and I don't believe she has that.

Reply #228539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to get rid of Williams. No point in having her there. they are not game to put her on court because she is a liabilty so why bother having her there

Reply #228583 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

At least Trudy has youth on her side. Why not give her a go to show what she can do rather than recycle players who have already been there?

Reply #228607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Niki Martin?..i think she is a better all round player than Trudy..could play point better, has a much better shot, inside key and from the arch. She is hard working, has no attitude problems and has plenty more experience than Trudy. I dont see what all this fuss about trudy is.

Reply #228630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know what the fuss is about! So Trudy plays a game or 2 with the Lightning. Good to see that you don't have to have gone to SASI or the AIS to get a chance. Give her a go... she may make it or not, but at least she will get a go. Would be nice to see more young players getting a go rather than some old ducks!!

Reply #228664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Valk suiting up as she'd get the same time as whoever comes in to play the point because that's the way the team has to go.
On old ducks in previous post, have to agree that Lightning are conservative in selections and maybe should look at the success of Logan teen Graham.
Too much hoopla about experience across the WNBL and not enough adventurous discovery in a staid and boring comp.

Reply #228672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you all need to get a life and leave all these poor girls alone. They go out, give their best and that is all that anyone can ask for. Everyone has different ideas about who should be in or out of the team however, none of you actually have any say in the end decision. Find something else to talk about, instead of picking on these girls.

Reply #228681 | Report this post

plasma  
Years ago

good point anonymous we probably shouldn't be having a point of view or a discussion on a forum. I'll go now...

Reply #228688 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754